Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?

Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?

• Yes
    • No

Ubuntu is the only one I've tried that actually fully works properly on my laptop. Granted I've only tried 3, Fedora, Ubuntu and Moblin. Fedora screwed up the sound, and Moblin couldnt play MP3s

Definitely not! while I agree the orange theme might not be to everyone's taste, the overall OS makes Linux more appealing and accessible to more people. I understand the hard-core fans dislike the simplicity of it, however, that is the beauty of Linux as there is a distro for just about everyone and Ubuntu is a good starting place (well I think so). If it wasn't for Ubuntu I wouldn't of given Linux a second glance.

Ubuntu is the only one I've tried that actually fully works properly on my laptop. Granted I've only tried 3, Fedora, Ubuntu and Moblin. Fedora screwed up the sound, and Moblin couldnt play MP3s

Ubuntu can't play MP3's natively.

while i dont use bloated distros like ubuntu, fedora, mandriva (Gentoo / Win7 user myself) i dont think they ruin linux. They are just for people that dont know or have the time to configure stuff on thier own.

I don't think Ubuntu makes linux look bad. I don't really think Gnome looks all that great. I certainly do feel that Linux in general could use a major visual boost. If you look at Windows 7 and OSX they are more visually appealing in most cases then linux. I know there things like compiz and whatnot, but there are some basics like fonts and menu's that just feel old to me.

Ubuntu is nothing but great for Linux. They have a huge community.. and as I can see Ubuntu is making great strides.. as far as the looks.. Linux in general is ugly to look at.

Aside from the obvious theme issues, I think Ubuntu is a huge leap forward for Linux. I think Ubuntu's "simplicity first" philosophy brought a lot more attention to Linux and it's making it an actual household name. That's what Linux needs, in my opinion. People need to back away from that obsolete stereotype that it's just for servers. I love Ubuntu so much that I can't imagine trying Linux without it anymore.

Ubuntu can't play MP3's natively.

Quite correct, the reason for it, is that by including the codec, it may violate copyright! Copyright and protection of intellectual property also applies to Linux!

I wouldn't say it's gives Linux a bad image, it's a good product, one of the most well known distributions of Linux. It honestly depends on how you look at it. Without Conical, Linux wouldn't be where it is now.

Definitely not! while I agree the orange theme might not be to everyone's taste, the overall OS makes Linux more appealing and accessible to more people. I understand the hard-core fans dislike the simplicity of it, however, that is the beauty of Linux as there is a distro for just about everyone and Ubuntu is a good starting place (well I think so). If it wasn't for Ubuntu I wouldn't of given Linux a second glance.

while i dont use bloated distros like ubuntu, fedora, mandriva (Gentoo / Win7 user myself) i dont think they ruin linux. They are just for people that dont know or have the time to configure stuff on thier own.

Both of these comments match my thoughts on the matter. :yes:

Rewind the clock 6 years, and the questions were "Does Red Hat make Linux look bad?", and "Ubuntu? Why do we need another distro?".

I think Ubuntu has done well at bringing forth their vision of Linux.

I'm in the Linux world since 95 with a RedHat 5 CD. I used RedHat, Mandrake (now Mandriva), Suse, OpenSuse, Debian and now I have to mantaine almost 20 workstation with Ubuntu 9.10, 1 server 9.04 with PXE and 4 station. Ubuntu make my life easy and I'm a totaly noob in nix world.

But... the theme is horrible!!!:laugh:

Blue, green, brown, orange, is all the same, change and you always have a friendly terminal to do everything with SSH!!!

Yeah, the theme is horrible but it's Ubuntu's trademark theme now. It's distinctive and different. We have blue and green distros coming out of our ears but only one ugly orange and brown one.

Linux Mint should be in Ubuntu's place of popularity really as it gives a much better first impression for new linux users.

I haven't tried Mint yet but I hear good things.

I wanted to really use Arch Linux but I never made it to installing a Window manager, I stopped last when I successfully configured my wireless card where the CLI was able to download packages.

It's the lack of simplicity people don't like about it. Simple is pressing the button yourself, not simple is using a clockwork mechanical arm to do it for you. Easy, yes. Simple, no way!

The French aviator, adventurer, and author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry gave us perhaps the best definition of engineering elegance when he said “A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way_v2.0

Linux Mint should be in Ubuntu's place of popularity really as it gives a much better first impression for new linux users.

I agree Mint is awesome. There are a few default things that I don't care for, like the custom search that's built into your web browsers for one.