Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?

Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ubuntu make Linux look bad?

• Yes
    • No

It's sort of a "gateway drug" of sorts into Linux. It acted as a good staircase into more advanced distros for me, like Debian or Arch.

By "look bad," it does, if you mean pure looks, kinda. Linux Mint looks more approachable, fimiliar, and graceful for sure, and the theme looks better.

But guess what distrobution it's based off of. Guess. Ubuntu!

It needs an overhall in visuals, like many other distroutions and interfaces, but I still think as far as what's under the hood, it's great, and makes Linux easier.

Ubuntu, or any of it's derivatives, are the worst distros I've ever used, and I've used a few of them. I will admit, I am definitely no Linux guru, but even playing it as safe as possible, some update has ALWAYS totally screwed up my system. The amount of bloat installed with it is about  insane.

Sure, they have a huge following and fairly decent support in their forums, but I will never use it again, that's for sure.

What do you guys think?

Depends what you mean.

It lowers the learning curve compared to many other distros, so in that sense it's good for Linux. It's also the most well known flavour. Even non-techies have heard of it. In the battle for hearts and minds it's helping to dispel the myth that PC's only run Windows.

Ubuntu makes Linux accessible.  It has all the Linux goodness, but with a pretty large community of support, and the support of many 3rd party developers.  Debian is stable, but 6 months after the latest "stable" release, it is already "really" far behind and you sometimes have to do some tweaking to get certain 3rd party applications installed.  Ubuntu "just works".

• 2 months later...

Ubuntu is a very good thing for linux. Simply because it gets people who would normally not want linux, interested in it. For anyone who's used any linux distro, you know their are different levels of complexity you can choose to do, and Ubuntu makes using linux easy for people who have little knowledge of it. 

You guys have to look at the original date of this thread. This was opened in 2010, when Ubuntu got that Orange+Brown thing going. The orange and purple of today, plus ambience/radiance plus a considerably better Unity looks a lot better now.

A bit of thread necromancy going on here...

But since we're doing it anyways.. personally, yes, it does. It's not Unity and some of the other questionable decisions.. I can deal with that. (And it's actually gotten to the point where it's usable and not that bad.) It's the advertising right out of the box in your bloody start menu that leaves a really bad taste.. yea you can disable it but still it just doesn't sit well for an OS that's built around the "FOSS ideals." Ubuntu's pretty much the "poster child" of desktop Linux, and sets a pretty bad impression.

I would disagree, the year of Linux actually happened on mobile devices thanks to Android.

Linux the kernel is not the same as Linux the desktop OS, which is what that stupid "year of" comment is always referring to.