Photo

Are native cigarettes less harmful than the ones you find at stores?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 00000000000000000000000000

Neowinian

• 548 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 21:49

First of all this is not a thread to discuss whether cigarettes are dangerous or not. It's a well known fact that all cigarettes could cause cancer and all sorts of diseases. My question is... Are native indian cigarettes less harmful than the chemical filled quick burning ones we find at stores? I'm not talking about the "light flavour" brands which prove to be as dangerous as regular brands.

I'm asking this because I've noticed that smokers of natives have been claiming that these cigarettes have less chemicals to make them burn fast. Proof is that they are sometimes obligated to relight their cigarettes 5 seconds after inhaling. They also claim that they cough noticibly less and don't get as many cravings because of the lower nicotine contents. Price is obviously the main factor for many. They are not regulated, not taxed and are illegal to distribute in my country (outside the indian reserve) so this is not a promotional thread in any way.

#2 scratch42069

scratch42069

Neowinian

• 985 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 21:53

I would say they are less harmful because the tobacco isn't laced with carcinogens like tailor made cigarettes. You'd probably find more toxins in the filters.

#3 vetBrian

Brian

^Revere it^

• 2,003 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:14

Native cigarettes are just that: unregulated, so you don't know what the hell you are getting. Crappier tobacco, cost cutting in the filters and paper, and much more rough cut tobacco. I've smoked em a few times, threw out the other half carton (bag of 200) because I was like, wtf I need a real smoke. Branded cigarettes have chemicals in them so they burn SLOWER, also native smokes are packed too tight. That's why they go out. Or you'll get one that's too loose and feels like 2 drags. Gimme Players or gimme death. Or both eventually... Hence my next point:

One thing I did try and enjoy was a personal vaporizer though, I just ordered one after trying my friend's... Tastes like a smoke, feels like a smoke, and none of the cancer. Not regulated yet, I hope soon they will be in some way so that the health agency's admit they're better than smoking, although not as good as being nicotine free obviously.

Look around, search for e-cig... I got mine from www.happyvaper.com, same model my buddy had (the 510).

#4 VidER

VidER

VidERian !

• 1,978 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:15

If they are unregulated, they you can't really know if it contains chemicals or not.

You can't really believe any claims that they make.

So you might be smoking a much more harmful product thinking that it is less harmful. Cause they can claim whatever they want, and there is no one to prove them wrong or right.

VidER

#5 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,879 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 14:26

what the hell are native cigarettes? are they like American Spirits or something else?

i used to roll my own smokes w/ "all-natural" tobacco. ive always wondered if that tobacco was any 'safer' than, say, Marlboros since they add all those chemicals.

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 15:05

American Spirit, the only U.S. brand made of 100% certified organic tobacco, clearly states on its homepage: “No additives in our tobacco does NOT mean a safer cigarette.” So I would say they are no necessarily safer.

roll my own smokes w/ "all-natural" tobacco. ive always wondered if that tobacco was any 'safer' than, say, Marlboros since they add all those chemicals.

Roll your own is not safer either.

http://www.gasp.org....afer-option.htm

Many smokers believe that roll-your-own or RYO cigarettes are not as harmful as manufactured cigarettes. Many RYO smokers change to smoking roll-ups rather than stop smoking in the mistaken belief that they will smoke less tobacco and inhale fewer toxic chemicals. But hand-rolling tobacco is as just as harmful as the tobacco in manufactured cigarettes. Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes.

#7 Digitalx

Digitalx

Antz007x

• 9,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 15:13

a cigarette is a cigarette really no matter the shape form or production. Personally i have no clue what a 'native indian cigarette' is but by the sounds of things it sounds much like a rolley with slow burning paper and too much tobacco stuffed in it - they go out regularly which for what it's worth is more of a pain in the ass then any minor differences really then if any health differences which would be minimal eitherway.

#8 Jen Smith

Jen Smith

Gone

• 1,446 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 18:22

Before I switch to eCigs a few months back, my brother in law would occasionally bring me a few cartons home when he was driving his truck through parts of New York. Saved me a fair bit of money. Some brands were pretty decent, others were like getting punched in the gut when you inhaled. Also used to have a machine to make my own too, again to save money.

That said, there's no such thing as a "less harmful" cigarette. They'll all kill you, just some faster than others. It's like putting a 9 mil and a 45 to your head and asking which one is less harmful. Do yourself a favor and try to quit. Just my own opinion, I've been "vaping" the past few months, zero tobacco since then, tastes and feels like the real thing, but none of the tons of crap that'll kill you. Just water vapor and nicotine.

#9 OctoPussy

OctoPussy

Neowinian

• 277 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:03

These native cigs are called bidi's. They are more harmful than normal cigs.

http://quitsmoking.a...king/f/bidi.htm

However, since they are cheap, the practice is to take a couple of puff's to satify the urge and throw it away. The end result might be that the amount of nicotine which one inhales, might be less than when smoking a full cig. Hence the claim about it being of a lesser evil.

#10 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,877 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 13:22

Cigarettes contain a number of (addictive) chemicals, and recently in the EU an ingredient that puts the cigarette out after a certain amount of time, so I'd say the natural way is probably better, yeah.

#11 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• 2,917 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 07 May 2012 - 13:43

Cigarettes contain a number of (addictive) chemicals, and recently in the EU an ingredient that puts the cigarette out after a certain amount of time, so I'd say the natural way is probably better, yeah.

Are you referring to the FSC bands that are now incorporated in the paper of the cigarettes themselves?

To OP there really isn't any one cigarette that is less harmful, it just depends on your intake. If you were to only smoke when drinking or have 1 or 2 occasionally, it won' do as much harm to your body then with someone who smokes on a regular basis. I am actually going to be looking into e-cigs because I am getting ready to gear up to stop and I don't want to do cold turkey. So in other words e-cigs are better then normal factory, pumped full of I would say 4k in chemicals

#12 Astral

Astral

I dream in adjustment layers

• 177 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:59

"Just water vapor and nicotine."

That's what I though too, but it is a substance called Propylene Glycol generally.

I tried using a Vapur e-cig for about 2 weeks and it made my heart and chest ache.. I had to stop.

#13 papercut2008uk

papercut2008uk

Neowinian

• 215 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 19:19

all tobacco that is commercially sold is sprayed with chemicals to make them 'smoother' and easier to smoke, even rolling tobacco.

you can get 'additive free' rolling tobacco which is not sprayed with anything.

'native' cigarettes are usually just tobacco leaves of a single kind, cigarettes and rolling tobacco is usually a mix of different tobacco's to get a flavor associated with the market it's sold in. 

all tobacco produces chemicals when they are burnt, the amounts will vary depending on which tobacco is used. 

if you want a safer way to smoke, the only way is going to be those 'Electronic cigarettes'.

#14 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,623 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 July 2013 - 19:37

Native cigarettes are just that: unregulated, so you don't know what the hell you are getting. Crappier tobacco, cost cutting in the filters and paper, and much more rough cut tobacco. I've smoked em a few times, threw out the other half carton (bag of 200) because I was like, wtf I need a real smoke. Branded cigarettes have chemicals in them so they burn SLOWER, also native smokes are packed too tight. That's why they go out. Or you'll get one that's too loose and feels like 2 drags. Gimme Players or gimme death. Or both eventually... Hence my next point:

One thing I did try and enjoy was a personal vaporizer though, I just ordered one after trying my friend's... Tastes like a smoke, feels like a smoke, and none of the cancer. Not regulated yet, I hope soon they will be in some way so that the health agency's admit they're better than smoking, although not as good as being nicotine free obviously.

Look around, search for e-cig... I got mine from www.happyvaper.com, same model my buddy had (the 510).

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Crappier quality of tobacco, and are cheap obviously due to tax breaks.

I've tried them quite a few times, and like you mentioned, you never know what you get. They all seem to be different from the other, but one thing in common, they are definitely crappy cigarettes. Even at about 1 third the price, I don't think they're worth buying.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,233 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 21:05

American Spirit, the only U.S. brand made of 100% certified organic tobacco, clearly states on its homepage: “No additives in our tobacco does NOT mean a safer cigarette.” So I would say they are no necessarily safer.

Roll your own is not safer either.

http://www.gasp.org....afer-option.htm

Organic products are often more toxic, so they're probably not safer or better in any form. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!