American Reunion (American Pie 4) (2012)

4TK6T.jpg

Break out the webcams and apple pie: The antics of Chuck, Stifler and the rest of the "American Pie" crew could be coming back to theaters.

Universal, which made and distributed the pop-phenomenon original, is developing a new version with an eye toward resetting the property as a theatrical franchise.

The studio is poised to bring on "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" writers Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg to script a new take on the franchise, which is being described in the development community as "American Pie 4." The movie would come on the heels of the third theatrical movie in the franchise, "American Wedding," which came out in 2003, and a slew of lucrative DVD titles that followed.

The original "American Pie" was released in 1999 and became a cultural and commercial phenomenon, grossing more than $200 million worldwide and spawning a booming market for R-rated summer comedies. "American Pie 2" and "American Wedding" followed at two-year intervals.

A host of direct-to-DVD titles then followed "Wedding" under the banner of "American Pie Presents," including "Band Camp," "The Naked Mile," "Beta House" and, this past December, "The Book of Love." But the studio, sources say, hopes that the franchise could be ripe for a new theatrical run.Universal declined comment on the new project.

At least some of the original cast is interested in coming back for the new picture, though sources emphasized that development is early and there are no actor deals in place.

Seann William Scott, Jason Biggs, Shannon Elizabeth and Alyson Hannigan were among the young comedic actors who got their break in the first film, which explored a group of high school seniors trying to lose their virginity before they left their adolescence behind.

How the characters would be worked into a new script remains a question; many, after all, are now in their late 20s and early 30s, and the original picture was set in high school. Writers would also need to contend with a world in which the novelty of the raunchy comedy, which was a relatively new form more than a decade ago, may have worn off with the success of movies like "The Hangover" and a spate of Judd Apatow films.

But the studio is clearly hoping that the awareness and fondness for the comedy brand could help support a new installment. Franchise reboots have become the latest vogue in Hollywood, even and especially for properties that haven't been away that long: Sony is rebooting "Spider-Man" just a few years after the webbed one last appeared on the big screen.

Source

After all the terrible spin offs this is a long shot. The very slightest of chances of success this has is if they bring back the whole cast, and of that lot, Seann William Scott is an absolute must. Having said that, it still has a very high probability of fail written all over it. They should just stop. Just. Stop. Now! :p

After all the terrible spin offs this is a long shot. The very slightest of chances of success this has is if they bring back the whole cast, and of that lot, Seann William Scott is an absolute must. Having said that, it still has a very high probability of fail written all over it. They should just stop. Just. Stop. Now! :p

it has a good chance of happening because lets face it most if not all the original cast have nothing to do these days, Biggs is pretty much off the screen, Sean William Scott appears in probably b-rated comedies anyway and the rest well the rest just do **** to get by, the only one who is successful is Alyson Hannigan

Alyson Hannigan was successful in Buffy too way before American Pie...

yeah, it would be good if they get the writers of harold and kumar on board which is whats being talked about

• 3 weeks later...

weitzamericanpie.png

A few weeks ago we posted that Universal was keen on making an American Pie 4 and bring back some of the original characters from the series. What better way to do that than in a ?Reunion?. Some of the actors have become pretty hefty over the last 10 years, like John Cho who was a minor character but now hes been in Star Trek and Flashforward. Other actors careers haven?t panned out that well so they may be happy to come back, Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicolas, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Eddie Kaye Thomas just to name a few.

I think Sean William Scott would be the hardest to commit to the series but once Stiffler always Stiffler. Chris Weitz, who co-directed the original film with brother Paul, spoke with MovieWeb about all of this ?I know that Universal wants to do it. We want to be involved in it. Because of the affection we hold for the story and the characters. We want to get as many former cast members back as possible. Its funny, but look at someone like John Cho. He had a very small part in all three films. Now he is a big deal.?

The plan is to make everything in the film seem nostalgic especially how comedy in films have changed so much due to American Pie and there were so many classic moments. ?For the time that it came out. For how people felt when they first saw it. And now to experience it again with all the pathos and humor that implies.?

The film is being planned for a 2011 release date by Universal. We?ll see, I remain skeptical about this only because the first movie was so awesome and I was 15 when I first saw it so the humor was so raunchy and dirty it made for a great movie. A reunion film is the best way to go and I am sure their will be sperm jokes as Jason Biggs and Allison Hannigan will be popping out kids probably.

Source

• 4 weeks later...

Staring at a menu that included American pie and White Castle burgers, ?Harold & Kumar? creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg have decided they?re hungry for something new.

The duo is coming aboard to direct ?American Pie 4,? Universal?s reboot of the ?American Pie? franchise, setting the stage for newcomer Todd Strauss Schulson to direct ?A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas,? the third installment of the trippily successful ?Harold & Kumar? series.

The decision for Hurwitz and Schlossberg is tinged with some irony as their original stabs at screenwriting in the late ?90s were designed to bring back the R-rated comedy. When ?American Pie? was released in 1999, they saw that someone ? writer Adam Herz ? had beaten them to the (spiked) punch.

?Pie 4,? which Hurwitz and Schlossberg are already penning, seeks to reunite the cast of the original movies. No deals have been made, but the strong interest on the actors? end is one reason the project is in high gear.

Source

Well hopefully they can do it right. The Direct to DVD films while mildly funny never lived up to the original series. I think it can be done, but it isn't going to be easy with everyone in a round about way knowing what to expect.

The original movie sure was epic at the time...

Well hopefully they can do it right. The Direct to DVD films while mildly funny never lived up to the original series. I think it can be done, but it isn't going to be easy with everyone in a round about way knowing what to expect.

The original movie sure was epic at the time...

the last of the dvd movies was quite cool, but we do need the cast back one more time and I mean everyone remember in the third Chris Klein didn't return

• 7 months later...
Here are Perry's thoughts on the American Pie 4 project, and where it currently stands:
Like anything, if they're going to go back to it, they want to get it right. Hurwitz and Schlossberg, the guys who did ?Harold and Kumar' are going to direct and I'm hoping to have something to look at it in the New Year. We'll see when that fits in. As you can imagine, a lot of it has to do with scheduling of the actors because they're all busy. Allyson (Hannigan's) got the show and the baby, so she's got plenty on her plate, so there's a lot of people who have a lot of things to do, and I think if we get a script?which I think we will?that everybody is excited about it, and then it's going to be about the schedule, because it's going to be really hard to get that gang back together. Because I think that's one of the things?we want to get everybody back together then you've got to do it right.

So the film is in the very early stages of development, and it has yet to lock down a cast, but they are looking to bring back everyone from the first American Pie film. If you recall, not everyone made it into American Wedding.

I think that's part of the debate. For me, it makes sense to bring everybody back, because at a certain point, if you start winding it down, it isn't what it's meant to be, and I feel like those characters have become part of the cultural lexicon, you kind of know who they are, and I think there's an interest in seeing where they are, because they haven't been on screen for seven years. I think people will say, ?I wonder what happened to?" and I think that's a very effective way to back into this movie is having people wonder what did happen to those guys and what did happen to those girls, and I think that's part of the interest of it, because you know they're funny characters, you know they're likeable characters, but where are they now?

• 3 months later...

Looks like so far they have Jason Biggs, Eugene Levy and Seann William Scott signed and on board:

Seann William Scott has signed to play regular character Steve Stifler in another instalment of the American Pie franchise.

According to People, the Cop Out star's agent has confirmed that he will reprise his previous role in the next film in the series.

The movie is due to begin shooting on May 24. Previous stars Jason Biggs and Eugene Levy are already confirmed to join William Scott.

Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Chris Klein, Mena Suvari and Jennifer Coolidge are all reported to be in negotiations to join the project.

William Scott's representative has said that the actor's current rehab treatment is not expected to affect the filming schedule.

Source: Digital Spy

I have to say I'm quite excited about this film now, particularly if they manage to get everyone back! The direct-to-dvd films have just been trash, so a proper American Pie 4 should be quite good! I was 10 when the first one came out heh, and remembered watching it a few years later :p

• 4 weeks later...

'American Pie 4' plot details announced

Alyson Hannigan has been announced as the latest original cast member to sign on for the upcoming American Pie sequel.

The How I Met Your Mother star played band geek Michelle Flaherty in the original three films. Deadline reports that she has joined the rest of the cast for American Reunion.

Universal previously revealed details of the fourth true instalment of the comedy series, including the names of returning cast members. The likes of Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Tara Reid and Chris Klein were on the list, while Hannigan was not originally.

The new film will reportedly revolve around the original group arranging a ten-year reunion via Facebook. It will show how their lives have changed since 2003's American Wedding.

Producer Craig Perry said last year that he hoped for a full cast to return to the series.

American Reunion will arrive in cinemas in summer 2012. The series has spawned many direct-to-DVD sequels.

Source: Digitalspy

So the officlal title is American Reunion? Someone's missing, Eddie Kaye Thomas I think. Oh, and Stifler's mom :shiftyninja:

So really this is like Scream 4 (not as in a horror) but kinder like re-booting the series with same cast but with added new ones too ;)

Chris Klein has officially boarded the forthcoming American Pie 4.

The actor's rep confirmed to Us Weekly that the 32-year-old has signed to reprise his role of Chris "Oz" Ostreicher for the comedy franchise's fourth big-screen outing.

Alyson Hannigan, Jason Biggs and Tara Reid are also attached to appear in the project, which centres on the group organising a ten-year high school reunion.

Klein recently completed a two-month rehab stay following a 96-hour jail sentence that he received after pleading no contest to a second DUI charge.

The actor filmed a guest spot on the season finale of Fox's The Good Guys after leaving rehab.

Klein's American Pie co-star Seann William Scott also signed on to the sequel after recently leaving a rehab facility.

Chris Klein has officially boarded the forthcoming American Pie 4.

Fantastic :) I'm sure the film will be at least acceptable.