Activision court battle means no DLC for MW2

In what is now fast becoming the gaming industry scandal of the decade it may be the consumer that ends up bearing the brunt of Activision's and Infinity Wards legal proceedings. Only this morning IGN have published the full detail of the lawsuit that is being filed against Activision by Jason West and Vince Zampella. In it the Plaintiff (West and Zampella) claim ownership of the Modern Warfare brand and have requested a temporary or permanent injunction against the release of any Modern Warfare game, or Call of Duty title set in the post-Vietnam era, near future or distant future.

Now this may not at first glance appear to have any bearing on any future content for the current Modern Warfare 2 title, however further on in the document the plaintiffs request for relief further outlines that they contest the exploitation of the Modern Warfare brand stating

For a preliminary or permanent injunction against's Defendant enjoining it and its officers, agents, employees and representatives from violating Plaintiff's rights with respect to the development, release and exploitation of any Modern Warfare game or Call of Duty title set in the post-Vietnam era, near future or distant future.

The key word here is of course exploitation which will include gaining financial reward. So with the whole brand in question and an injunction being sought by the Plainiff then the possibility of seeing any extra content for Modern Warfare 2 at all never mind any time soon is very slim

Source: http://www.thelostga...no-dlc-for-mw2/

How is DLC considered exploitation though when every single game does it now? I do not think they have a leg to stand on here, DLC will be coming, it is the standard nowadays, I do think this was just a website looking for some hits with the title.

How is DLC considered exploitation though when every single game does it now? I do not think they have a leg to stand on here, DLC will be coming, it is the standard nowadays, I do think this was just a website looking for some hits with the title.

What? Theres talk of Activision having a few more CoD titles due out in the next year or two (aside from that Vietnam one that Treyarch is doing), the two IW guys were supposed to approve all CoD games before hand and apparently Activision started making them without them, and then pretty much said "approve them or your fired".

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/activision-announces-new-call-of-duty-titles-lawsuit-filed.ars

Its exploitation in that it exploits the Modern Warfare trademark as it generates revenue. Its just legal talk.

I hope these two dudes get whatever they want. Down with Activision and COD Modern Warfare.

Why down with the game? The game is perfectly fine.

Also I wouldn't go to call MW2 biggest fail of the decade, not by a long shot. (Ref: A lot of Wii/DS games).

Whether Infinity Ward made MW2 bad on purpose or whether it's just generally a bad game doesn't matter anymore- what does matter is that these two should get whatever. If they lose this court case then there's something 'fishy' going on here.

It would have been 100% better if they'd have claimed for the Call of Duty title and Infinity Ward (as well as Modern Warfare)- that would have made for an even better talking point.

Biggest reason MW2 sucks is because of IWNET. The game itself is pretty good.

The more negative press Activision gets the better. If it was up to Bobby, all games would cost $100 and include subscriptions or microtransactions.

Biggest reason MW2 sucks is because of IWNET. The game itself is pretty good.

The more negative press Activision gets the better. If it was up to Bobby, all games would cost $100 and include subscriptions or microtransactions.

Which is most likely gonna happen with the next Call of Duty. Microtransactions/subscriptions.

meh I need more details to come out before I side with the IW ex-ceos and say down to Activison. All you people cheering for them don't know the full details of what happened behind the scenes. For all we know it was IW solo that screwed the PC version and made other changes to MW2 that screwed the consumer. Not saying Activison or Bobby is innocent by a long shot but I'm seeing this case as 2 devils who made a deal with each other and one just got backstabbed quicker by the other.

For all we know it was IW solo that screwed the PC version and made other changes to MW2 that screwed the consumer.

The quality of the final product is generally irrelevant, as it only adds emotions ("IW doesn't deserve any cash 'cause MW2 sucks!!!" is completely irrelevant in a legal battle). What we know: MW2 sold millions and Infinity Ward isn't getting any of it. People who are supposed to be paid are not.

Also I wouldn't go to call MW2 biggest fail of the decade, not by a long shot. (Ref: A lot of Wii/DS games).

LOL..biggest fail? Probably going to end up being one of the biggest (if not biggest) game of the decade.

LOL..biggest fail? Probably going to end up being one of the biggest (if not biggest) game of the decade.

It'll certainly get "Biggest Farce of the Decade"

It'll certainly get "Biggest Farce of the Decade"

I agree with that. This whole Activision thing is also proving my theory....this is all about the almighty dollar. Consumers are the least of their concerns.

If it was up to Bobby, all games would cost $100 and include subscriptions or microtransactions.

And it would still sell 10 million copies.

Modern Warfare hits 25 million players. DLC details coming.

Infinity Ward community man Robert Bowlingtweeted overnight that Modern Warfare 2 has racked up a whopping 25 million online players."...annnd we JUST hit 25 MILLION unique players on Modern Warfare 2. Insanity! Also, got a lot of #MW2 DLC details coming this week! FINALLY!" he wrote.

"That's 25 million unique across all platforms. Most on Xbox 360, then a close 2nd goes to PS3, [with] millions more on PC," he added.

"We can only track those who connect to online, so this is online only! Also, you're correct, this is dominating COD4's numbers!"

Modern Warfare 2 was released on 10th November last year, meaning the game has taken just four months to be played by 25 million people.

Check out our Modern Warfare 2 review if you're not one of them. Or indeed if you are. Or else.

My link

I think you quoted the wrong post. ;)

I said that I wouldn't go to call it that.