It takes computer 1+ DAY to solve a 1000 x 1000 x 1000 Rubik's Cube&#33

Guarantee you a speed runner could complete it in one day, given enough time ;)

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure if that program was reprogrammed to have graphics hardware acceleration and you threw in a couple of Radeon 5970s and a Core i7 980 overclocked to 4Ghz, it would probably only take a few hours.

I think it took so long because it was so slow at rotating the slices around.

Not to be pedantic, but isn't it 1000 x 1000 x 6?

EDIT: actually, that is pedantic, but I'm still wondering.

Yeah, it is.

If you imagine taking a single corner on the cube and move out from that corner along the x, y and z axis; on each axis you will pass a 1,000 rubix cube strips. I imagine that's why it's described as 1000 x 1000 x 1000.

I think it took so long because it was so slow at rotating the slices around.

Yeah, it is.

unless , like, the cube is actually made up of 1000000000 individual cubes which need to be rearranged...

If you imagine taking a single corner on the cube and move out from that corner along the x, y and z axis; on each axis you will pass a 1,000 rubix cube strips. I imagine that's why it's described as 1000 x 1000 x 1000.

Yeah, but the squares don't make up its volume, it's purely a surface area. Could you imagine having to match the colours on the inside as well? :laugh:

I know it's a silly point to pick up on, but meh... :p

Where is the 6 coming from (number of sides or colors)? Isn't it 1000 x 1000 x 1000 because of the x,y,z axis?

Where is the 6 coming from (number of sides or colors)? It's 1000 on each axis (x,y,z) hence 1000 x 1000 x 1000.

It's six square 1000x1000 sides. There is no inside component to a Rubik's cube.

Where is the 6 coming from (number of sides or colors)? It's 1000 on each axis (x,y,z) hence 1000 x 1000 x 1000, much the same way a normal rubik's cube is 3x3x3

Yeah, but the internal cubes do not have to be lined up, do they? Only the six faces, each with 1000 x 1000 cubes have to be color-matched. So, its 1000 x 1000 x 6.

And why were they wasting time rendering the cube while solving it. They could have just logged the necessary turns while solving it, it would have made more processing power available for solving the problem. The logged data could later be used to create the visualization if necessary.

Where is the 6 coming from (number of sides or colors)? Isn't it 1000 x 1000 x 1000 because of the x,y,z axis?

Yes, a rubiks cube is usually referred to as X?Y?Z as it is a given the inside is "empty".

And why were they wasting time rendering the cube while solving it. They could have just logged the necessary turns while solving it, it would have made more processing power available for solving the problem. The logged data could later be used to create the visualization if necessary.

Probably less interesting to the typical YouTube user.