Sherlock (UK BBC Series)

22fe74c6.jpg

Sherlock Holmes is being brought back to life on our TV screens, but this time the famous detective will be policing the gritty streets of modern London.

Arthur Conan Doyle's popular crime fighter will keep his address at 221B Baker Street and Dr John Watson will still be at his side.

But it will be set in the 21st century with events such the war in Afghanistan getting a mention.

article1259618022498640.jpgarticle125961805fa57e30.jpg

The BBC series is the brainchild of Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat and actor and writer Mark Gatiss, star of The League of Gentleman.

Holmes will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch, while Martin Freeman from The Office will be loyal friend Dr Watson.

None of the original plots will be used, but fans may notice 'many of the echoes' of Conan Doyle's stories.

When Holmes first meets Dr Watson on a fateful day recorded in A Study in Scarlett, he asks: 'How are you? You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.'

The doctor admits he has been serving there, tending to troops battling the Taliban.

Moffat says 'everything that matters about Holmes and Watson is the same'.

Gatiss said the detective tales provided him with an escape as a child growing up in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.

'I retreated into Sherlock Holmes. I wanted to live like an 1895 detective, not in a grim post-industrial town,' he told the Guardian.

The BBC series, called Sherlock, has already been sold to networks in the U.S. and Australia after a promising one-off pilot was made last year.

Three 90-minute episodes have already been commissioned.

It is unclear if Holmes will still have an occasional cocaine habit, but the detective's nemisis Moriarty is to get a new lease of life, while the dogged Inspector Lestrade also makes a reappearance.

The TV show follows the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jnr abd Jude Law, and the publication of The Devil and Sherlock Holmes.

Source

• 3 months later...

this reminds me of a cartoon series i used to watch as a kid called "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" :D

Hope it's better than the movie.But then again I doubt it.The only British show i liked was Coupling.All the other ones were crap IMO.BBC America is full of crap shows like those that go into peoples houses and declutter them. or fashion shows and the like.

I had more or less a specific vision in my mind of Holmes and Watson from the books, these two do not fit them.

Nonetheless, it looks pretty interesting. However, a few attempts have been made to put Sherlock into the 21st (or later) centuries. They didn't go quite well, might I add.

Hope it works out, I like Holmes and Watson great characters. I liked the movie just fine, and then the older shows/movie's they have out there already some where good, others not so much. Will have to wait and see, but I imagined Holmes as much older. Just looking at the pictures the whole 21th century thing just does not jive with me, hope the story is at least entertaining, they should have said based on Sherlock Holmes and named the characters something different would of made more sense to me.

I love how everyone is saying this is **** even before there's no footage or the episode is out :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

The first episode of Sherlock - titled 'A Study In Pink' - is due to air on Sunday July 25 at 9pm on BBC One.

:woot: