How Do I Activate Office 2010?

Question

So, lik a lot of you, I've been having lots of fun with the Office 2010 beta, I very much like it. However, because I did not understand how the Click-To-Run setup worked (I assumed it required an always on broadband connection to run any of the Office apps, which I now know is not the case), I kept opting to use the offline installer, and in the offline installer, the first thing you have to do is enter the product key in the beginning of the setup.

Now, however, when I use the click-to-run, I'm not getting an option to enter my key. During setup I was asked if I wanted it to automatically activate or not, which I said yes to. So far, I haven't been prompted to enter the Beta product key, and this is a problem for me, because this happened to me the last time I tried out Office 2010, where I wasn't able to find this, and finally, near the end of the 30-day activation period, it popped up asking me to enter the key, and I tried multiple times to use the Beta key that I got straight from the Microsoft Office 2010 beta site, and it said it was invalid ???.

This time, I'm trying to activate it before I run into that situation, but I can't find it. I'm looking in the backstage menu for Outlook and Word, I assumed it would be there, but it's not? Please help, I tried googling it, but you can imagine when I google "activate office 2010 beta" all I run into are illegal methods to do it, which I'm frankly not interested in.

I'm not new in beta-testing Microsoft programs, I was an official tester for Vista and an unofficial tester for 7. Any help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I believe if you open up something like Word, then go to File -> Help it'll let you activate it.

Ahhh, I see it. But this is odd. I don't actually ever remembering entering a key, why does it say it's already activated? :O

Perhaps that might have something to do with the fact that the click-to-run filename had the actual serial in it? Like the name of the file was like X16-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX.exe, and it was the same key I received on the Live account.

So is it activated or not? :blink:

OP: what edition, version, and platform are you running? Where did you download it? Where did you get the product key? There are multiple Microsoft sites that are or have been distributing Office 2010 during the beta period.

If you go to the official Microsoft page to download it and sign in with your live ID, it'll give you a key that's used to activate. I'm guessing it's all just the one key for the beta, though.