Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 March 2010 - 13:44

6xbUXVK.png

bRXnspI.pngK0zoa1r.pngYq9BBa8.png

News

Upon release the application will cost £6 / $9.30 and it will be released on Gumroad.

The app is DRM free and can be installed on as many computers as you want and it will not require an activation code.

Requirements

Windows Vista SP2 or above (Windows 8.1 recommended)

.NET 4.5

This won't work on Aero Basic or the classic theme, it has to be Aero (Windows 8 is fine).

Report all bugs/issues/suggestions in this thread, thanks.

Attached File  StickyNotes Beta 9.3.zip   3.91MB   67 downloads

#2 revanmj

revanmj

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 07 April 2010 - 17:15

Nice, waiting for a beta :)

#3 OP Jan

Jan

Posted 17 April 2010 - 19:36

StickyNotes is turning out to be really nice, fast and extremely simple.

#4 ~Neowin~

~Neowin~

folklore.org

• Phone: Moto G Gen 1

Posted 17 April 2010 - 19:43

wow nice. go ahead :woot:

#5 Hitchhiker427

Hitchhiker427

Neowinian

Posted 17 April 2010 - 19:58

Notes is turning out to be really nice, fast and extremely simple.
Here is the finalised concept! (The Black parts mean that the part underneath them will be removed Posted Image) Sorry about the bad compression!

Remember to subscribe to this topic for the latest information!

I really like the idea. However, one point of advice: It doesn't "look" like a Windows 7 app. Since all I've seen so far is the UI, that is all I can comment on. Frankly, I wouldn't actually use this based on the UI alone.

Going out of your way to create a "different" type of UI so that it will stand out is generally a bad move when developing software. Since you like the "tabs on top" style, I'd recommend checking out MS Paint and Wordpad (or possibly Office 2010) for tips on the UI. This dark UI is very inconsistent with other apps that a user will most likely have installed on his/her computer, and will make the desktop with multiple apps open simultaneously look really jumbled and messy.

EDIT: I see that you've stepped away from the "tabs on top" idea. My new recommendation would be to make the top bar match the light blue toolbar in Windows Explorer (and almost every other Windows 7 app), and make the bottom bar match the large item details bar at the bottom of Windows Explorer. This way, it'll look like in actually "belongs" on Windows 7.

#6 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 April 2010 - 20:22

looks nice but what's the purpose of this app? what problem is this solving that isn't already provided for by sticky notes and windows journal?

#7 OP Jan

Jan

Posted 17 April 2010 - 20:52

I really like the idea. However, one point of advice: It doesn't "look" like a Windows 7 app. Since all I've seen so far is the UI, that is all I can comment on. Frankly, I wouldn't actually use this based on the UI alone.

Going out of your way to create a "different" type of UI so that it will stand out is generally a bad move when developing software. Since you like the "tabs on top" style, I'd recommend checking out MS Paint and Wordpad (or possibly Office 2010) for tips on the UI. This dark UI is very inconsistent with other apps that a user will most likely have installed on his/her computer, and will make the desktop with multiple apps open simultaneously look really jumbled and messy.

EDIT: I see that you've stepped away from the "tabs on top" idea. My new recommendation would be to make the top bar match the light blue toolbar in Windows Explorer (and almost every other Windows 7 app), and make the bottom bar match the large item details bar at the bottom of Windows Explorer. This way, it'll look like in actually "belongs" on Windows 7.

I wanted to give this app more of a journal feel rather than a native application, with the native bar, what if the user was on Windows Vista? Switch the bar in and out?
As for the 'Bottom bar', this won't always be visible only when you press the button, untill Windows creates a prettier tab control it won't be used.

looks nice but what's the purpose of this app? what problem is this solving that isn't already provided for by sticky notes and windows journal?

This offers an all-in-one solution. This a document creating application like Word, with simple StickyNotes with a beautiful and magical design. (See? My words make me sound like an Apple Slogan).

#8 Hitchhiker427

Hitchhiker427

Neowinian

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:34

I wanted to give this app more of a journal feel rather than a native application, with the native bar, what if the user was on Windows Vista? Switch the bar in and out?
As for the 'Bottom bar', this won't always be visible only when you press the button, untill Windows creates a prettier tab control it won't be used.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "journal feel". However, that's fair enough, it's your program. Though, I would like to add that you wouldn't have to switch the bar in and out if the user was using Vista. The bar style (whether it's 7, Vista, or a custom visual style) is a set image in the msstyles file that can be referenced. It's a native control that can be implemented in 3rd party software, and it will automatically adapt to whichever visual style is present.

#9 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:37

This offers an all-in-one solution. This a document creating application like Word, with simple StickyNotes with a beautiful and magical design. (See? My words make me sound like an Apple Slogan).

I get what you mean by journal feel and sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it progress :)

#10 OP Jan

Jan

Posted 20 April 2010 - 18:16

Ok, Journal-Feel wasn't the right description, Maybe a Scrapbook would be a better description of the UI? I'm not sure :pinch:

Anyway, i've scrapped the AppButtons on top of the controls, it is now one button and sits next to the other controls (The Spanner).

#11 amon91

amon91

Anonymous

Posted 20 April 2010 - 22:19

I still don't find much of a purpose for this when you have outlook and, well, sticky notes to write stuff down. Looks like an awesome app, and definitely a nice coding project. Keep us updated, will ya? :)

#12 OP Jan

Jan

Posted 21 April 2010 - 15:02

I still don't find much of a purpose for this when you have outlook and, well, sticky notes to write stuff down. Looks like an awesome app, and definitely a nice coding project. Keep us updated, will ya? :)

Outlook? More like Word. This app caries a simple interface for creating some beautiful documents. StickyNotes is a great way to have Notes on the desktop, or you can have it always on top, so you can write notes whilst coding for example, Helps me :)

#13 tehmemories

tehmemories

Junkie

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:03

Looks pretty good.

#14 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:08

Look very nice :)

Is the whole idea of this to be like a simple word processor?

#15 mystera

mystera

Neowinian

Posted 07 July 2010 - 13:37

i like it.