SeaTool - short DST and long DST tests fail

Well a failed DST (Drive Self Test) is usually the result of bad sectors, but if the computer is BSODing too the drive probably has more problems. If you download SeaTools for DOS, it has the ability to repair bad sectors.

File this under obvious foreshadowing :wacko:

Thanks for extremely useful advice here, if you have nothing else to share, please stfu and gtfo.

Thanks for extremely useful advice here, if you have nothing else to share, please stfu and gtfo.

What did you want people to say? Do you think there is some magic voodoo you can do to repair the drive?

If you need data off it, you can do the freezer trick, but thats only a temporary solution.

If the drive is less than 5 years old you can RMA it. If it is more than 5 years old, you shouldn't have mission critical data on it.

If you are going to post replies like that... Try taking your own advice.

• Like 3

Just a little testy? Please read the above notice when posting:

We can't account for every example of misbehavior, members should ask themselves while posting "is this acceptable?" If the answer is No, then you're probably breaking the rules.

There's no need to be that way, regardless of how pithy someone elses comments.

Now.....

....Your drive failed 3 *major* tests - what would that normally mean?

To me, it would mean that this drive is dead....toast....pushing-up-the-daiseys....It has gone to meet its maker....This is a EX-HARD-DRIVE!! (comping John Cleese of "Monty Python" and "The Parrot Sketch")

Since you claim that the hard-drive is old, and hard-drvies *do* have a life expectancy, expressed in "MTBF" (Mean Time Before Failure), then I would totally expect this drive to be dead.

--ScottKin

If you are going to post replies like that... Try taking your own advice.

EXACTLY

you can try spinrite to salvage the drive

It might take 2 days to run - but Spinrite is the best chance you have of recovering something @ a consumer-level.

There are 2 types of computer users, those who have had data loss, and those who will.

Those who have, know to back stuff up - hopefully you did - otherwise the data on there obviously isnt all that important.

When people tell me they absolutely with no exception need to have data extracted from a dead HDD, (or nearly dead) - I tell them the best thing to do is send it in to a data recovery service where they re-build the drive in a clean room - with some fancy chemicals - which costs about $1000. All of a sudden their data isnt that important :rolleyes:

If you dont have extremely important data - kiss it goodbye and realize next time the avg. life of a HDD is about 4 years.

You know, this might sound stupid, but have you even taken a look at the SMART data?

I mean, if SMART is saying you have problems, and SeaTools confirms those then you pretty much have an issue with the drive and should back-up data ASAP.

You know, this might sound stupid, but have you even taken a look at the SMART data?

I mean, if SMART is saying you have problems, and SeaTools confirms those then you pretty much have an issue with the drive and should back-up data ASAP.

SMART test passes.