Marvell Yukon 88E8056 issue

well great, it looks like it only temporarily fixed the problem

just started up again on a cold boot and the stupid connectivity notice happened again

had to disable and re-enable it

so i'm either stuck with a junk onboard controller, or i have to buy a new one

i'm definitely just going to buy a new one, i don't feel like dealing with this frustration all the time

Sorry man, just as ObiWanToby said, the controller just isn't a good one. Just get an Intel; I think mine cost me $25-30 each.

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problems with the same chip in a Shuttle PC I built. Based on my observations, i have determined that some events can put this chip into a bad state where a reboot cannot even fix it. I'm guessing its due to a bad driver storing some invalid state in the flash ROM on the network chip or something. From my experience, installing linux or freebsd and letting them use their own drivers would always put it in this bad state.

I have found a reliable way to knock it out of the bad state, but it is kind of a pain to do:

1. Create a DOS boot disk

-I did this by attaching a floppy drive. I would think there would be a way to do this with a USB flash memory drive but I haven't taken the time to figure that out.

2. Go the the marvel support page for that network chip, and on the downloads page, pull in the DOS diagnostic utility. Copy this .exe to the boot disk.

3. Boot the disk, run the utility, and let it run the diagnostics through once. Im guessing the does some sort of low level reset on the network chip or something.

4. Reboot and you should be good to go.

From my experience, this worked fine for months until i installed Linux and/or freebsd again.

If you can, try this and let me know how it turns out. I would be interested in seeing if this works on other peoples devices. The lesson i learned is never get anything with a marvel chip in it again!

Jorj

did you disable onboard through the bios?if so you will need to fully remove the device from windows,also have you just disabled it?

• 3 months later...

I too am having this issue. It is very annoying.

I have tried to uninstall the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 in windows 7 and in safe mode. No luck

I have also done the same in safe mode. No luck.

I have updated drivers from Marvell Yukon. No luck.

Tried to change auto negotiate to all of the available options, no luck.

Disabled IP6, no luck.

The other pcs on the network, all connected to the same router do not have this issue.

This is the only PC running windows 7. I am now convinced it is a windows issue. Not sure that it is a Yukon issue. I have Yukno NIC's in other boards, no problem.

With all of this said, this is a problem that didn't begin on the clean install. It began happening over time. Now, it seems that appx every 45 minutes, I lose connection to the net. I am forced to disable and re-enable my NIC to establish connectivty to the net. Very, very annoying.

ASUS Mother Board is my MB - Rampage series.

I will be watching this post for any viable solutions.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I will be watching this post for any viable solutions.

I can confirm that any brand motherboard using the onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056 will have stability problems unless it is updated to REV 14. You're not crazy. This is the correct fix. Download the following file and from DOS run the included eep.bat file. Enjoy the new stability.

Read install notes below for this file, yes its from gigabyte but works for other brands. I did it on my Asus P5K-E board:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/FAQ/2372/faq_marvell_eeprom.zip

This 88E8056 firmware update (an option ROM) will correct the following issues:

• * "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
  • * CDROM DVD showing up missing.
  • * Server service hang.
  • * Hard disk activity light staying on.
  • * System and hard drive hang.

Flashing the 88E8056.

1. Download the faq_marvell_eeprom.zip file.
  2. Uninstall the driver using device manager in windows.
  3. Boot into dos.
  4. run the eep.bat file.
  5. Boot into windows and install the latest Marvell Driver which is currenly 11.30.1.3 (listed as yk62x64_v11.30.1.3 at marvell.com).
  6. Install the latest Intel storage driver which is currenlty 10.1.0.1008 (listed as Intel Matrix Storage Manager dated 12/15/2010). If you're using ICH9R (ICH7R, ICH8R, etc) onboard raid you should download the RST version.
  7. Optional: If you're using SSD drives you should update the BIOS Option rom for the ICH*R series to whatever your mother can support. For the ICH9R series this is 8.9.0.1023. To do this you may need to have someone make a custom BIOS mod for you. Ask them if they can included the updated Marvell rom to help some other poor soul.

Reading on the subject:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20080813182205171