1 red light

Hi, I know the 3 red lights is an all too common problem with 360s but what about 1 red light? My 360 isn't under warranty any more so i was wanting to repair it myself.

Does anyone have a guide for repairing a 360 with 1 red light (E73)?

What munky said. I've also heard it can be the hard drive. How old is your system? Also before you go

opening it consider your options. Try the system without the hdd

I can't pass up posting this slightly edited picture, especially with that name of yours;

RRoD.jpg

Hahaha! I love it!!

@Sikh, the xbox is about 2 years old, with minimal usage. I've tried without the hard drive, to no avail.

@mokthraka, those all seem to be temporary fixes. Are there any more permanent fixes?

Hahaha! I love it!!

@Sikh, the xbox is about 2 years old, with minimal usage. I've tried without the hard drive, to no avail.

@mokthraka, those all seem to be temporary fixes. Are there any more permanent fixes?

Send it into to Microsoft Support, if you're out of warranty, buy a new Xbox 360, because you're SoL. Buy an Arcade unit and just move your hard drive and accessories over.

Actually, what my brother did to get his Xbox repaired for free was to try and fry some of the internal stuff to get the "Red Ring of Death", so he wrapped it up in things and kept it very hot, going from an E74(?) error to the holy grail and free repair of an RRoD error.

There always is that path.?? :shifty:

Actually, what my brother did to get his Xbox repaired for free was to try and fry some of the internal stuff to get the "Red Ring of Death", so he wrapped it up in things and kept it very hot, going from an E74(?) error to the holy grail and free repair of an RRoD error.

Er, you know E74 is covered by 3 years now as well! Didn't need to do the towel trick.

Sorry but that is the dumbest "resolution" that only just further screws up your Xbox. You'll render it even more useless by frying other components that do NOT need to be heated. What the towel trick is "doing" is a ghetto GHETTO way of trying to solder it to have things "resink." What you just need to do heat up everywhere around the GPU/ANA chip and what connects to it. NOT the entire thing.

The best bet is to repair it yourself. @Mistical has been able to fix a bunch of Xbox's with 3RRoD and a bunch with E74/3 errors. I'll have him post in here for recommendations if you're NOT covered by Microsoft's warranty.

Why the hell would you do a towel trick? You're an idiot if you keep doing that and think it actually resolves something.

Why don't you "towel trick" your computer and let me know how that goes.

You should of done some more research before you came to the conclusion of thinking the towel trick is the way to go. The towel trick is not going to resolve anything and very, very likely to damage hardware inside.

The better self fix it to take apart the 360, if you even know what you are doing or find someone who may know. I have done this many times to extra 360's of mine and friends with great results and usually do not have to do it again for a few months or not again.

The heatgun fix works great. Basically you take apart your 360, after warranty, and disconnect everything and take the motherboard out. Apply heat to the general area of the CPU, GPU and HANA chip. You can but do not have to, wrap areas you will not be applying heat to with aluminum foil. Do not directly apply heat, nor have it too close to the motherboard and do not stay in one particular area too long.

This also gives you a chance to clean out the 360, the fans and maybe even add additional fans for a small price to the CPU/GPU and replace the back fans. The fans are optional and up to you, though I do recommend it. You would also need thermal compound (the best will be artic silver) to put back on the CPU/GPU after you have cleaned them off and before you put the heat sinks back on and the 360 back together.

This is just short version of what you have to do, you can research the proper ways/steps to doing this if you wish. I just will not waste my time writing one out myself if it won't be used. :)

Why the hell would you do a towel trick? You're an idiot if you keep doing that and think it actually resolves something.

Why don't you "towel trick" your computer and let me know how that goes.

Actually, before you go calling people an idiot, why don't you probe a little further?

The only reason I did the towel trick was a short-term fix until I can afford to get it replaced, idiot.

@mistical, thanks for a more thoughtful reply. I might try this before I go out an buy a new one

Actually, before you go calling people an idiot, why don't you probe a little further?

The only reason I did the towel trick was a short-term fix until I can afford to get it replaced, idiot.

@mistical, thanks for a more thoughtful reply. I might try this before I go out an buy a new one

Why would I need to probe further to prove that doing the towel trick on an Xbox 360 is the most idiotic suggestion you could follow?

Like I said, when you need to fix your computer when something happens, do the towel trick on it and let's see what happens. Mkay?

Why would I need to probe further to prove that doing the towel trick on an Xbox 360 is the most idiotic suggestion you could follow?

Like I said, when you need to fix your computer when something happens, do the towel trick on it and let's see what happens. Mkay?

Well it's working so it can't be that idiotic as a short term fix. Obviously it reset something to make it usable again.

Also why the hell would i towel trick my computer? Completely different machines. M'kay.

Well it's working so it can't be that idiotic as a short term fix. Obviously it reset something to make it usable again.

Also why the hell would i towel trick my computer? Completely different machines. M'kay.

It depends what you think of short term, because do not expect it to last long at all. I do not think you should do the towel trick again. Use my suggestion and research more on it when it comes to that. Because it will again, very soon, or you can fork up money to buy newer, better revisions of the 360 (August 2009+).

The heat gun fix is the proper way (among my other suggestions) then the towel trick. It solders it properly and faster. Also the 360 getting cleaned is always for the best as I am sure it is very dirty inside as thats another problem with how they were made, not enough of good ventilation and its heat sink design. The towel trick, as I said, will likely easily damage the system and possibly even worse as it is not safe wrapping up a console and forcing it to overheat.

• 2 weeks later...