HTC Desire

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing, I think you've made me finally decide to change my N97, nothing but touchscreen problems for me.

I too live in Switzerland, did you order off the 'net or in a shop?

I'm interested to know if there's shops that have non contract Desires for me tomorrow :)

Thanks ppl.

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing, I think you've made me finally decide to change my N97, nothing but touchscreen problems for me.

I too live in Switzerland, did you order off the 'net or in a shop?

I'm interested to know if there's shops that have non contract Desires for me tomorrow :)

I had a Nokia N79 last year and i swear to myself that would be the last time i would buy a Symbian device.

My HTC i got from Sunrise online shop, actually i had to go in the real store since they were working on the webstore.

They had just received the Desire when i arrived there, lucky me.

I got it on a contract extension (1yr).

If you want to buy it without contract i advise you to check ricardo.ch, they have it from 520.- with direct buy. You can always bid on other offers but it takes a little longer till it is over.

Otherwise you can go to mobilezone stores or i believe even Sunrise or Orange shop will sell you without contract, but it will be more expansive.

@ Kudos

Thanks for the link i will check it out.

I have been playing around with Helix laucher which is kind of neat.

Thanks ppl.

I had a Nokia N79 last year and i swear to myself that would be the last time i would buy a Symbian device.

My HTC i got from Sunrise online shop, actually i had to go in the real store since they were working on the webstore.

They had just received the Desire when i arrived there, lucky me.

I got it on a contract extension (1yr).

If you want to buy it without contract i advise you to check ricardo.ch, they have it from 520.- with direct buy. You can always bid on other offers but it takes a little longer till it is over.

Otherwise you can go to mobilezone stores or i believe even Sunrise or Orange shop will sell you without contract, but it will be more expansive.

It's the last Symbian device I'll ever buy, I've been completely decieved by the way it runs and Nokias inability to help.

Thanks for the tips but as it's gotten so bad I'll be going to the shops this weekend to find one, I expect to pay a little more but it'll be worth it when I can use my mobile again.

To be honest, I'd say that's a fair deal considering the unlimited data really is unlimited. I phoned up O2 and asked them what their fair usage policy is on unlimited data, to which they said they had none, and I outrightly asked if I used 30GB a month I wouldn't get charged a singular penny extra, to which he said yes! I was dead chuffed! So I'm definitely getting my hands on this phone/tariff when it comes to O2 smile.gif

Hmmmm that's interesting as I'm with o2 and they cut my data off once for going over what they considered fair usage. I had to argue with them that I used the phone for work purposes and could not be without my net connection to collect my emails.

Being fair I had hooked it out to my pc and downloaded a few films with it :whistle:

Great review :)

I've had mine since Saturday and it's great. Customised just right now and will be rooting as soon as the root method is refined more. Google has confirmed Apps2SD now so we should see that after the Google conference on the 19th May.

A homescreen taste:

desire_home_th.jpg

You should check out Google Maps Navigation too, just load up maps and hit Search then begin typing the name of a contact, it will auto suggest the contact and their address assuming you have pre filled their address details in Gmail already (you should manage all contacts in Gmail, makes life so much easier).

htc_desire_googlenav.png

Oh and Swype ;)

htc_desire_swype.png

Also in HSDPA I get faster upload speeds than my 20MB home cable broadband!

Speeds are very good though, 2 bars = 2.4~Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.

^ @ m®k

Thanks for the tips.

Nice screens and i envy you because of the google navigation...we don't have that in CH yet...

I saw Swype and i might try it out.

Sometimes i think there is too much screens to customize, imo would be nice if HTC provided a way to select the number of screens.

Did you check Helix Launcher ? It gives a nice Nexus feeling.

post-72040-12727053538684.jpg

post-72040-12727053602667.jpg

post-72040-12727053633242.jpg

And you can go sideways.

The funny thing is that the images on the picture frames auto-rotate too, just noticed that now after looking at the shots. :)

It's the last Symbian device I'll ever buy, I've been completely decieved by the way it runs and Nokias inability to help.

Thanks for the tips but as it's gotten so bad I'll be going to the shops this weekend to find one, I expect to pay a little more but it'll be worth it when I can use my mobile again.

I know that feeling with Symbian. I threw my N79 against the wall, that's how it ended...that ****** !

O2 told me that it'll be released on 10th May.

Suggested tariffs shown here: http://blog.o2.co.uk...oming-soon.html

However, they said "these are the tariffs the phone will be available on but if you want to discuss your specific accounts you'd need to give us a call on 202 free from your mobile."

So you should be able to call up retentions (as if your going to cancel your contact) and they'll have the authority to customise your tariff. Keep in mind that T-mobile are offering more for the same prices, so that's the basis of your argument.

Call 202 - then option 2:2:2

edit: damn! I just called them and I'm not actually able to upgrade till July, unless I pay off the rest of my contract.

Ah not tried Helix launcher yet will give it a try! I have the Nexus One launcher and it works great but I miss the SenseUI widgets that the Desire launcher brings as I use Twitter and Friend Stream a bit!

Nice review, just picked one of these up now my iPhone 3GS contract expired. A few of the apps I used to use don't seem to have alternatives (Dropbox, Math Ref, Sleep Cycle) but overall this phone is much better.

My Desire showed up this afternoon (finally) :) damn it's a nice phone, still in the process of learning my way around and it setting it up, but I likey! (Y)

If I buy this sim-free in the UK, will it work in Australia if I just buy a simcard over there and go on a monthly data tariff?

Very very tempted to trade in my Nokia N95 8GB for ?100 and take the hit for the rest...

I soo want this however I am wondering if the Droid Incredible or Evo will ever hit the UK shores as from a hardware point of view they appear to be better on paper.

They are virtually identical in features and spec - minor differences.

Unlikely to come to the UK since they're CDMA handsets.

Just bought the Desire for ?399 from Play.com! Unlocked of course.

I havent been this excited since I got my N95 8GB more than 3 years ago.

Now I have to acquaint myself with Android Apps. What are the top (5)? essential ones I need to get?

How does one put them from my laptop to the Desire?

Astro file manager to install new apps and manage files on the phone. Apart from that the rest is all user preference, it's up to your likes/dislikes on what you want from the phone. Lifehacker has regular "top 10/20/50 apps" etc.

All Android phones are seen as Mass storage when USB is connected so just transfer that way to the sd card.

Oh thats easy then.

Games?

This is my first Android phone - and while I played with it for a while in the Orange store earlier this morning I havent had one full-time before. Sense UI really impressed me.