HTC Desire

Yeah, the call delay happens with the HTC Desire and Google Nexus One phone which are basically the same. Some good news though is that someone made a patch that works for the N1, its somewhere in the thread of Cyanogenmod for the N1.... so I'd say we should expect a fix for this quite soon :cool:

That doesn't sound good, makes me feel better HTC are dragging their feet with releasing their official Gingerbread ROM (hopefully they will include a fix for it). However, if rumors are true Telstra customers (in Australia) may never see Gingerbread (officially) as Telstra are rumored to be not supporting Gingerbread on the HTC Desire (due to them getting the Desire S, they will tell customers if they want Gingerbread to upgrade to the new phone!). Hopefully this rumor is not true, but I wouldn't put a dirty move like this past Telstra. If it's true I may decide to change my stance on rooting and actually root my Desire to get Gingerbread on it.

It ain't bad. HTC will officially release their Sense Gingerbread version for the Desire.

Anywho, if your carrier does decide to stop supporting your device, if you haven't done it, then it will be a good time to root it and update your phone. Seriously everyone who offers the Desire should release Gingerbread, the battery life is quite an improvement over Froyo.

Anywho, if your carrier does decide to stop supporting your device, if you haven't done it, then it will be a good time to root it and update your phone. Seriously everyone who offers the Desire should release Gingerbread, the battery life is quite an improvement over Froyo.

Unfortunately, until Unrevoked gets updated again, many CDMA Desire users here in the US are now stuck with an unrootable 2.2. US Cellular and Cellular South's 2.2 update came with a new version of hboot that Unrevoked can't handle.

It ain't bad. HTC will officially release their Sense Gingerbread version for the Desire.

I agree they *should* offer it, however, that is the problem with Android as carriers and OEMs alike are free to do as they wish, they don't wanna support an update? then don't. Hopefully the rumor is false and Telstra will update Telstra branded HTC Desires to Gingerbread but if they don't, then I'm probably gonna have a crack at rooting my phone to get it on there because this will be the final straw for me. I mean I've been a loyal customer and they screwed us around with Froyo (they took an extra 3 months to release it and their "customizations" were so extensive the ROM couldn't be delivered OTA and hogged most of the internal memory on the phone, which isn't much to begin with to be honest) and if they flat out deny us Gingerbread then they can shove it :p </end of rant>

EDIT: Hell they screwed us around with Eclair as well, their "customizations" broke the GPS on the devices and they had to release an update to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree they *should* offer it, however, that is the problem with Android as carriers and OEMs alike are free to do as they wish, they don't wanna support an update? then don't. Hopefully the rumor is false and Telstra will update Telstra branded HTC Desires to Gingerbread but if they don't, then I'm probably gonna have a crack at rooting my phone to get it on there because this will be the final straw for me. I mean I've been a loyal customer and they screwed us around with Froyo (they took an extra 3 months to release it and their "customizations" were so extensive the ROM couldn't be delivered OTA and hogged most of the internal memory on the phone, which isn't much to begin with to be honest) and if they flat out deny us Gingerbread then they can shove it :p </end of rant>

EDIT: Hell they screwed us around with Eclair as well, their "customizations" broke the GPS on the devices and they had to release an update to fix it.

The saga continues, good news is Telstra no longer have anything todo with OS updates (I think they learnt from the 2.2 debarkle) and all updates now to come directly from the OEM which is great (no more waiting 3+ months for Telstra to bother customizing/"testing" it). Now just have to wait for HTC to release their "sensed" ROM for the Desire....

I can say Telstra will be releasing gingerbread for the desire. It's been confirmed internally

I can say Telstra will be releasing gingerbread for the desire. It's been confirmed internally

Yeah and it's also on the website too, says it's expected to be released sometime this month. Just the waiting game now....

Im new to the whole rooting/custom ROM area after moving to android on my HTC Desire from iOS (Best decision ever.)

I've managed to root my HTC Desire using unrevoked, so its fully rooted. But I want to install the baadnwz InsertCoin CM7/STOCK ROM to my Desire. As my mate recommended it too me.

It's located here: http://www.baadnwz.eu/

I havent got a clue wheere to start tbh.. I would definetly prefer to keep all my apps/contacts/messages and not do a reinstall, if possible.

Any ideas?

^ Extremely common issue? That doesn't sound great :|

It's common on the older hardware models, it's fixed on all newer devices.

Sorry this replies a little late and I hope you got it sorted all ready. If not then this is an extremely common problem with the desires and it's to do with the radio chip overheating, unfortunately once it goes you need to send it back to be repaired by HTC, there is no user fix.

HTC UK support has been a bit iffy. I sent the phone for repair and it came back with the same fault. I then call again awaiting the next phone pick-up date. They failed to log the ticket twice and only sent me the UPS label the third time I called.

Let's hope they actually fix it now. Otherwise I'm going to complain and tell them to replace it with a Desire HD or S.

Just saw 2.3.3 running on the Desire HD (official HTC update) and I have now lost all interest in getting it on my Desire. HTC have managed to totally gimp Gingerbread :/ and basically all they did was change the app drawer (for the worse in my opinion) and the icon for it and a few minor tweaks and the rest is identical to 2.2, even the cool (but unnecessary) turn off effect in Gingerbread has been removed and they kept the white menus (was hoping they'd adopt the black ones from Gingerbread). I mean I like HTC Sense but was hoping they'd adopt some of the UI elements from Gingerbread (mainly the notification bar and menu colouring, since it's already black in Gingerbread *thought* they might just leave those stock this time, guess not). Guess had my expectations set too high :p oh well, don't care if it gets delayed or even canceled now...since all my enthusiasm for it as been sucked away...that is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

I was thinking about getting a new phone. I have a Desire. Anyway Im a geek so I did what any geek would do. I rooted my device and installed the latest CryogenMod (7.0.3) Its BRILLIANT, Battery life is better, Its faster. I would recommend it to anyone.

For those of you who are interested Rooting and installing a Custom Rom was three easy steps.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-perform-and-restore-a-nandroid-backup/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-unrevoked-method/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/21/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-htc-desire-2/

I was thinking about getting a new phone. I have a Desire. Anyway Im a geek so I did what any geek would do. I rooted my device and installed the latest CryogenMod (7.0.3) Its BRILLIANT, Battery life is better, Its faster. I would recommend it to anyone.

I rooted my Desire just last night and was looking at the CyanogenMod ROM. I've heard some really good feedback about it.

I rooted my Desire just last night and was looking at the CyanogenMod ROM. I've heard some really good feedback about it.

Yeah I updated my Radios and RIL firmware too and battery life is far better than what it ever was on the Stock ROM. That even includes me playing around with it as its a new shiny OS. There are a few bug bears that I have with it but I recon I'm not just looking in the right place. It is overall faster and web browsing is exceptionally fast.

I want to change the clock but there doesn't seem to be any different facials to it.

I cant seem to find a way to select multiple contacts to send a message to through the Messaging App.

CyanogenMod is ok, if you can excuse the bugs in it. Sometimes going into some apps or settings can show a blank black screen, the problem was quite severe for me yesterday the phone became pretty much unusable really.

Going to install Redux tomorrow, their changelog claims that black screen bug was resolved 2 months ago.

I'd stick with Sense if you want a phone that "just works" though. Maybe there are other stable ROMs but I do not know of any from experience yet, I'm hoping Redux is stable.

Going to install Redux tomorrow,...

you wont regret this! :yes:

you wont regret this! :yes:

Redux has been pretty great so far, battery use on standby is awesome (Y)

Doesn't have as much settings as Cyanogenmod but I don't miss any of them, plus no black screen problems or any other glitches!

So I'm back on Oxygen v2.1.4, and already missing Sense. I don't want to go back to LeeDroid as I find that too much stuff is added to it. I much prefer a cleaner base like Oxygen, but I want Sense. Any one knows of a almost stock clean Sense based ROM?

So I'm back on Oxygen v2.1.4, and already missing Sense. I don't want to go back to LeeDroid as I find that too much stuff is added to it. I much prefer a cleaner base like Oxygen, but I want Sense. Any one knows of a almost stock clean Sense based ROM?

Waiting precisely for this also.

^ How can you call Sense clean? There is one "minimal Sense" rom out there on xda-dev, I forgot which but i didn't try it nor do I want to.

I'm also running Oxygen 2.1.4. Everything's smooth, the new HBOOT is great with only 10mb free space on system, and battery life is quite good, 3G always on with sync it lasts 1 1/2 days on regular usage.