HTC Desire

Could someone who owns the device let me know whether, when a pair of headphones is plugged in, the alarm still goes of through the phone's speaker? I use my phone also as alarm clock, but I tend to listen to music in the evening through headphones and wouldn't want to miss hearing the alarm the following morning.

Just tried it and it still plays through the speakers :)

I've also tested it on silent mode and it plays at max volume, so no worries there :D

Wanted to get one of these bad boys in September around bday time, but I think I'll wait and see if that rumoured HD model is real. HD recording is a must for a feature, but I do know the Desire is getting it with 2.2.

I'm gasping to get away from my 3G/Apple :(

Waiting for new technology (especially smartphones) is pointless in my opinion, because there's always something bigger and better just around the corner. Buy a Desire now, then sell it to offset the cost of the Desire HD if you really want one. I'm going to have a play with the Desire HD if/when it comes out and see whether or not it's enough of an upgrade to sell my Desire for!

Waiting for new technology (especially smartphones) is pointless in my opinion, because there's always something bigger and better just around the corner. Buy a Desire now, then sell it to offset the cost of the Desire HD if you really want one. I'm going to have a play with the Desire HD if/when it comes out and see whether or not it's enough of an upgrade to sell my Desire for!

Wouldn't be getting Desire until September and considering October is the rumoured release date you'd have to be a donkey to buy a Desire a month before.

In other news my GF got the HTC Smart is it? The one around ?100. Omg it feels much better than my iPhone 3G and Android ****es over iOS.

Wouldn't be getting Desire until September and considering October is the rumoured release date you'd have to be a donkey to buy a Desire a month before.

In other news my GF got the HTC Smart is it? The one around £100. Omg it feels much better than my iPhone 3G and Android ****es over iOS.

Keyword: "rumoured."

The HTC Hero was rumoured to get Android 2.1 about 5 months ago and HTC are only just getting around to it..

The HTC Desire was rumoured to get Android 2.2 on June 26th, but HTC have now said it will be in Q3..

Rumours don't always add up.

If he gets a Desire, he might find he doesn't even want the Desire HD when it comes out.. and if he does then he can sell the Desire to offset the cost.

If he doesn't get a Desire, and October comes and goes with no Desire HD release, then he's stuck with a phone he doesn't want for a few months.

In other news my GF got the HTC Smart is it? The one around £100. Omg it feels much better than my iPhone 3G and Android ****es over iOS.

HTC Smart doesn't run Android :whistle:

I sold my 3G, and got a Desire.....the speed increase was fantastic, but missed iPhone Applications, just make sure Android has the apps you want.

If it does, then buy :D

HTC Smart doesn't run Android :whistle:

I sold my 3G, and got a Desire.....the speed increase was fantastic, but missed iPhone Applications, just make sure Android has the apps you want.

If it does, then buy :D

Well whatever gimped OS it's running by standard I prefer it over iOS laugh.gif

I just want web access (twitter/etc), phone use and a decent camera/recorder.

Gaming is meh, cba with portable gaming.

Really want flash support so I can watch videos as well.

Okay, the 3G connectivity issue is getting on my ######.

When you lose the 3G Data connection by going Wireless or otherwise, it's a bitch to bring it back. Someone said adding the Settings widget to disable / enable it would work but it doesn't, only

thing you can do is either reboot the phone or go into airplane mode and then back out, which requires you to re-enter pin etc. so many people are having this issue apparently and they need to fix it

ASAP.

Usually if I have connectivity issues, I just hold the power key down, and select the option to turn "Mobile Network" off, and then back on, usually solves the problem for me. I wonder if it may be specific to some networks

Usually if I have connectivity issues, I just hold the power key down, and select the option to turn "Mobile Network" off, and then back on, usually solves the problem for me. I wonder if it may be specific to some networks

Believe me, I tried that along with many others - Doesn't work.

When you have problems with the 3g/wifi switch not working automatically, you dont neet to reboot the phone.

Switching the Mobile Network ON/OFF will not always work.

This worked always for me, just go into the phone settings and re-select your phone operator or make it select automatically.

(can't remember the exact menu as i don't have my android anymore)

But in any case this is much faster than rebooting the phone to get the 3g/data working again.

This has probably been asked, in many threads but..

Will all these Android phones be able to upgrade to newer Android versions, and if they do, will they still run as smooth as they did with the retail version?

This has probably been asked, in many threads but..

Will all these Android phones be able to upgrade to newer Android versions, and if they do, will they still run as smooth as they did with the retail version?

Phones that just run stock Android like the Nexus One should be supported for at least a couple of versions, but Google doesn't support all previous phones.

Hard to say if they'll run as smooth.. it depends what features each new version brings. Froyo is said to bring MASSIVE speed improvements, but future versions might add processor/memory-intensive features that slow older models down.

When you have problems with the 3g/wifi switch not working automatically, you dont neet to reboot the phone.

Switching the Mobile Network ON/OFF will not always work.

This worked always for me, just go into the phone settings and re-select your phone operator or make it select automatically.

(can't remember the exact menu as i don't have my android anymore)

But in any case this is much faster than rebooting the phone to get the 3g/data working again.

Didn't work either :/

Yes and countless of people have this issue, believe me - I've sat on Google for hours finding hundreds of people with this issue. Even a close mate with the same phone

has the issue. I'm not going to get it replaced when it's so widespread and as for network, maybe, I won't be able to change it.

So I'm hoping for a fix in Android 2.2, if we get it.

HTC Sense is pretty boring IMO, too samey among all HTC Android phones and nowhere near as customisable as replacement launchers enable you.

Plus you can't pair a wiimote and classic pad/nunchuck to it when running a SenseUI ROM.

Flash a stock FroYo ROM instead, they're better anyway especially ROMs like DeFrost with HAVS kernel, better framework and optimisations.

Anyone else having problems with Timeriffic? I set it switch to vibrate at a certain time every day but sometimes it just reverts back to normal throughout the day.

Mine looked the same too.

Perhaps they are having to source the chargers from different companies, due to demand.

Post a pic Rich.

Sorry only just spotted the request for pic. Mine looks like this:

IMAG0025.jpg

3 parts; wall socket (UK), little adapter (and transformer I guess) and then the USB cable. The advantage of this configuration is only the wall socket changes based on the locality.

I must be getting old or maybe I'm an idiot because no matter what I do I can't really understand how to root a phone :laugh: ! I've been reading a number of guides and so on and I can't quite understand what root will do. I do like the standard Android theme compared to the HTC Sense which I think looks a bit fat, but so far customisation is still a bit limited. There aren't that many themes out there that take advantage of the HTC Desire (most of them are for Cyanogen Mod which is not available for HTC Desire) and you can't customise the icons in the app drawer (but using Better Cut you can on the home screen) so there isn't much for you (except gain access to the Market regardless of country, but there a lot of free apps that are still very good, congrats to those developers). Right now, this is how my Desire looks like:

post-151171-1279692060916.jpg

(I know rooting allows me to take screenshots but bear with me, as I'm lazy :p ).

Until rooting becomes a bit easier for me to understand (and I become a bit less lazy :p ), I stick with my current set up.

Scirwode

I must be getting old or maybe I'm an idiot because no matter what I do I can't really understand how to root a phone :laugh: ! I've been reading a number of guides and so on and I can't quite understand what root will do. I do like the standard Android theme compared to the HTC Sense which I think looks a bit fat, but so far customisation is still a bit limited. There aren't that many themes out there that take advantage of the HTC Desire (most of them are for Cyanogen Mod which is not available for HTC Desire) and you can't customise the icons in the app drawer (but using Better Cut you can on the home screen) so there isn't much for you (except gain access to the Market regardless of country, but there a lot of free apps that are still very good, congrats to those developers). Right now, this is how my Desire looks like:

post-151171-1279692060916.jpg

(I know rooting allows me to take screenshots but bear with me, as I'm lazy :p ).

Until rooting becomes a bit easier for me to understand (and I become a bit less lazy :p ), I stick with my current set up.

Scirwode

It's really quite easy with http://unrevoked.com/

HTC Sense is pretty boring IMO, too samey among all HTC Android phones and nowhere near as customisable as replacement launchers enable you.

Plus you can't pair a wiimote and classic pad/nunchuck to it when running a SenseUI ROM.

Flash a stock FroYo ROM instead, they're better anyway especially ROMs like DeFrost with HAVS kernel, better framework and optimisations.

What makes the SenseUI be incompatible with a wiimote?