Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Interested in how browser JS engines now compare on various tests, I ran some. :)

Mozilla's Kraken Benchmark (lower is better)

1. Firefox 4.0 Beta 7: 6893.2ms +/- 0.3%

2. Opera 11 Alpha: 11913.5ms +/- 0.9%

3. Chrome 9 dev: 14956.2ms +/- 0.6%

Google's V8 Benchmark (higher is better)

1. Chrome 9 dev: 5447

2. Opera 11 Alpha: 3690

3. Firefox 4.0 Beta 7: 2843

Firefox is doing best on Mozilla's benchmark, Chrome best on Google's, and Opera neatly placing itself in the middle on both. ;)

Very impressive but beta 7 crash every times I try to enter this page, http://game.amd.com/...s_catalyst.aspx

No problems here, the page loads fine for me (using no extensions at the moment)... is your plugins like flash,java etc... and others are up to date? if not update it and try entering the page again.

Well all the benchmarks favour the engine they're designed for (if I remember correctly, the V8 benchmark is heavy on recursion because V8 accels on that) And then there's SunSpider, Firefox is currently the fastest on that (every browser has the claim of being the fastest on that one benchmark at least once)

But, all these benchmarks are artificial, a much better gauge of performance is on real-world stuff.

Well all the benchmarks favour the engine they're designed for (if I remember correctly, the V8 benchmark is heavy on recursion because V8 accels on that) And then there's SunSpider, Firefox is currently the fastest on that (every browser has the claim of being the fastest on that one benchmark at least once)

But, all these benchmarks are artificial, a much better gauge of performance is on real-world stuff.

Yes, I agree. That was kind of my point, that they're doing best in their respective benchmarks. I didn't count Sunspider since Mozilla has said it sucks (hence the development of Kraken), and Mozilla made that benchmark. They just optimize for that now out of prestige, since it looks bad to not be best in their own benchmark.

It's just too unfortunate that real-world stuff is so hard to measure. ;)

SunSpider is done by the WebKit guys (i.e. Apple)

Edit: Yeah, it's hard to gauge real-world tasks, the best you can do is insert timers throughout the code (and measure CPU/Memory, etc.)

beta 7 consumes about 800mb of memory in Mac OS X 10.6.5 with just 3 tabs opened!!!!!

Memory leakage?

your addons?

In nighly Minefield, with custom Windows Vista theme (cls sharp) i cant get shadow back since b4 lol:

post-191715-12894728417428.jpg

well its hard to fix for the menu is dependent on windows context menu etc , :/

No problems here, the page loads fine for me (using no extensions at the moment)... is your plugins like flash,java etc... and others are up to date? if not update it and try entering the page again.

Thank you. Using different PC, with almost identical setting and extensions, enter the page fine.

Using Fast Dial extension with Beta 7 is not displaying the thumbnails at all, just showing as broken images.

Tried another extension, Desktop, which does the same visual thumbnails and this is also not working.

Something with Beta 7 seems to be causing issues, as all fine with Beta 6 and below.

If you're having problems with extensions ... it's almost certainly a problem with the extension. From beta to beta things will change in Firefox which will affect them - so just keep an eye out for updates from the extension developers.

the schedule for beta 8, 9, 10 and rc1 have changed again :o

beta 8 - nov 30

beta 9 - dec 16

beta 10 - early january

rc1- january

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

my guess is that this will change again after beta 8 is released and same goes for 9, 10 and rc

so my guess is the release candidate will get moved to early feb :crazy:

the schedule for beta 8, 9, 10 and rc1 have changed again :o

beta 8 - nov 30

beta 9 - dec 16

beta 10 - early january

rc1- january

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

my guess is that this will change again after beta 8 is released and same goes for 9, 10 and rc

so my guess is the release candidate will get moved to early feb :crazy:

This is bad because of what? I prefer a stable and most of the bugs worked out browser over a rushed product any day. I am glad Mozilla is taking their time!

This is bad because of what? I prefer a stable and most of the bugs worked out browser over a rushed product any day. I am glad Mozilla is taking their time!

i prefer that it is stable and most of the bugs worked out too but at this rate it will be mid 2011 before we see final and by than it will be behind when it comes to other browsers such as ie 9 and chrome x

i prefer that it is stable and most of the bugs worked out too but at this rate it will be mid 2011 before we see final and by than it will be behind when it comes to other browsers such as ie 9 and chrome x

Maybe but patience is a virtue.