Meet Firefox 4.0.1

was a FF fan for a long time.... then discovered Chrome.... it would have to be really impressive to make me move back... but does look good tho! :)

196 Score in beta.html5test.com Test (Chrome 6 - 220 ,Safari 5 - 170 , tests on Win7)

Mine only scores 186 in beta.html5tests.com (today's build) :(

I am not sure but I think the lines and broken (transparent) context menus have been fixed in the latest nightly... I have restarted minefield a few times and Direct write is still enable, but it's not giving me any trouble! :cool:

I was trying to test out the WebSocket support that landed in Firefox a few days ago, and every single site I tried failed, they either did browser sniffing and told me to get Chrome (missing the point of having standards), or used the old protocol and (as such) required old versions of the browsers.

New toolbar icons and address bar for OS X landed. Screenshots:

Big icons:

post-1302-12772948795243.png

Small icons:

post-1302-12772948836772.png

Also:

mephisto:~ fpbecker$ lipo -i /Applications/Minefield.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin 
Non-fat file: /Applications/Minefield.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin is architecture: x86_64

Minefield is now available as 64-bit app on OS X.

Big icons:

Small icons:

Also:

mephisto:~ fpbecker$ lipo -i /Applications/Minefield.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin 
Non-fat file: /Applications/Minefield.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin is architecture: x86_64

Does the OOPP still generate a new icon in the dock? I was using minefield until that started :crazy:

Big icons:

Small icons:

Also:

What build is that in? I'm using firefox-3.7a6pre.en-US.mac.dmg

Link please.

What build is that in? I'm using firefox-3.7a6pre.en-US.mac.dmg

Link please.

This one:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-3.7a6pre.en-US.mac64.dmg

Note: There is no 32-bit build of today available yet. The 64-bit build doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins.

There are 64bit builds available for Linux, OS X and Windows. And I wouldn't use any of them (there are still optimisations disabled probably, crash reporter doesn't work, etc.)

Does the OOPP still generate a new icon in the dock? I was using minefield until that started :crazy:

Having tried with the 32-bit version and YouTube just now I can confirm that yes, OOP still generate a second dock icon.

Having tried with the 32-bit version and YouTube just now I can confirm that yes, OOP still generate a second dock icon.

The final version better NOT do that :angry:

My Latest Browsers Benchmark results:

browbench.png

According to that , Fastest Firefox is roughly 2 times slower than fastest browser. And JM + Optimizations are yet to land!

The final version better NOT do that :angry:

Of course it won't, why would they do something like that?

By default apps that have a GUI show in the dock unless you explicitly state otherwise, that haven't done that yet (or packaged the plugin process properly yet, they're working on more important things)

The most disgusting thing is the new "design" with the tabs over the toolbar. WTF are the toolbars related to the current tab?

Hm? If you're referring to Back, Forward, Stop, Reload, the Favicon and the Address bar, they have everything to do with the current tab.

The toolbar is usually filled with more than these four buttons.

Or are they about to separate the "standard" toolbar and provide a separate one below the tab bar then?

The toolbar is usually filled with more than these four buttons.

Or are they about to separate the "standard" toolbar and provide a separate one below the tab bar then?

That's about all that's in mine. I guess you have a bunch of add-ons or something? Most tools/options/configuration stuff is supposed to be moving to the "Firefox Menu" above the tabs.

This is pretty much the way that Chrome and Opera do it and nobody seems to complain that they don't make sense.

The Firefox menu above the tabs? Hmm, why do they actually put it above the tabs while claiming that putting the tabs on top is "saving screen space"?

(One of the major reasons why I don't like Chromium-based browsers is the ugly, inflexible UI btw.)

I have a bunch of add-ons indeed, like Smiley Xtra (which is, in fact, a toolbar button) or the Download Helper (which is only useful when displayed in the toolbar, too)... so I really wonder what is "logical" here.

And yeeep, other browsers do the same. But they don't have a programmable user interface like Firefox has always had, right?

firefox 4.0 beta 1 was due today, now it's status is "TBD", hopefully it might come by the end of the month. cck_my, you should re-run those benchmarks with IE9 Platform Preview 3