Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Wow, sounds like Mozilla is making pretty good progress. This is great. I really can't wait for Firefox 4 (Of course I still realize it's a long ways from final)... But still, it's exciting... lol

4 blockers left. 3 UI related and the compatibility reporter.

https://bugzilla.moz...ing1.9.3:beta1+

Mike Beltzner [:beltzner] 2010-06-24 17:27:01 PDT

Jim: now that the tree is re-opened, think we'll see this land tonight?

Looks like Bug 513162 might be closed soon, unless I don't understand Mozilla lingo, so we can mark that down to 3 bugs! laugh.gif

BUG 574383

Mike Beltzner [:beltzner] 2010-06-24 10:25:19 PDT

(Not a code freeze blocker, but want to get it on the tracking list for

before-we-release-beta-1)

BUG 574435

review+

BUG 574434

Waiting for review

So all blockers are almost done :D , we can really expect beta to come before 30 June

If you're using Direct2D/DW with the nightlies you'll have to disable it, the drawing in the titlebar landing broke the rendering (and even in GDI mode, tooltips and "Larry" are broken, they show a hidden blank window)

If you're using Direct2D/DW with the nightlies you'll have to disable it, the drawing in the titlebar landing broke the rendering (and even in GDI mode, tooltips and "Larry" are broken, they show a hidden blank window)

have you found a hourly with drawing in titlebar?

How about delivering on tab process isolation for Mac OS X or is this yet another example of Firefox developers giving Mac OS X users the royal shafting?

I think Opera had an option to put tabs on top first, but not 100% sure on that.

Anyways to respond to my first remark, here is a side by side comparison of this version of Firefox and Chrome 5. I think Chrome wins. :)

<snip>

Both look exactly like Opera. Even the buttons are identical to the default theme in Opera.

have you found a hourly with drawing in titlebar?

Support has landed, the theme parts haven't. It's just underlying changes at the moment.

How about delivering on tab process isolation for Mac OS X or is this yet another example of Firefox developers giving Mac OS X users the royal shafting?

The nightlies don't have tab isolation on any platform yet, Electrolysis hasn't merged yet (and even then I don't know if it's even stable enough to use)

They're not always out to "shaft" OS X users (ignoring the fact most Mozilla guys use OS X), sometimes the work just hasn't been finished yet.

The latest Windows 32 nightly messed up everything for me. I can't access the menu bar, I can't right click anywhere, my bookmark toolbar is missing.

The nightlies don't have tab isolation on any platform yet, Electrolysis hasn't merged yet (and even then I don't know if it's even stable enough to use)

They're not always out to "shaft" OS X users (ignoring the fact most Mozilla guys use OS X), sometimes the work just hasn't been finished yet.

It isn't a promising sign if by this stage they still haven't merged the process isolation into the main tree.

It took almost 5 years before the finally added Aqua forms support (even though they had native forms support on other platforms), they've been ignoring the performance problems when people raise them claiming it isn't their fault, the fact that there is process isolation but completely useless as so far as allowing 32bit plugins to run with a 64bit browser, and the crowning glory being the shipping of Firefox 3.6.4 that bought plugin isolation to every platform except Mac OS X.

Call me cynical but being let down by Mozilla developers is something that is an ongoing and repeated event rather than something I've dreamed up in my own head.

The latest Windows 32 nightly messed up everything for me. I can't access the menu bar, I can't right click anywhere, my bookmark toolbar is missing.

if you have tab mix plus installed, disable it, because it gave me the same problem.

It isn't a promising sign if by this stage they still haven't merged the process isolation into the main tree.

It took almost 5 years before the finally added Aqua forms support (even though they had native forms support on other platforms), they've been ignoring the performance problems when people raise them claiming it isn't their fault, the fact that there is process isolation but completely useless as so far as allowing 32bit plugins to run with a 64bit browser, and the crowning glory being the shipping of Firefox 3.6.4 that bought plugin isolation to every platform except Mac OS X.

Call me cynical but being let down by Mozilla developers is something that is an ongoing and repeated event rather than something I've dreamed up in my own head.

• The Electrolysis project was started only a few months ago, it's not surprising that a large amount of work takes time.
  • Aqua forms support came with the transition to Cocoa, before it used Carbon which was apparently much harder to implement (And it has a better implementation than Safari's custom controls, they have their own custom theme)
  • 32bit plugins with a 64bit host was a "non goal", so of course they haven't implemented it, they haven't implemented it on any platform.
  • OOPP is easier on other platforms than on OS X, you don't have to worry about Carbon (Only 1 plugin, Flash 10.1, really works with OOPP on OS X, and even then only the latest release)

You might have different goals to what the Mozilla devs have, that isn't being "let down" it's just wanting different things.

i have the same problem with today's nightly

hopefully this will be fixed tomorrow (when I apply the update manually)

and no, I don't use tab mix plus, in fact, I'm not using any extensions on the nightly, Chrome is my main browser atm

Today's nightly is messed up for me also, every time I hover over buttons, links, tabs etc the web page flashes blank/white. The UI seems to load in a weird way when I open it... something must have gone wrong.

I think it is a directwrite bug, I just turned it off and it works better but the UI still loads in a weird way when I open it!

So if I haven't installed today's nightly yet, I should just hold off on it, and wait for tomorrow's nightly? Also, I don't know if this has been posted or not, but here's an interesting video about Firefox 4 from the Firefox User Experience team, talking about why the "Tabs are on top" in Firefox 4.

So if I haven't installed today's nightly yet, I should just hold off on it, and wait for tomorrow's nightly? Also, I don't know if this has been posted or not, but here's an interesting video about Firefox 4 from the Firefox User Experience team, talking about why the "Tabs are on top" in Firefox 4.

yes it was , thanks anyways