Posted 05 May 2010 - 14:31

Submitted to Digg.

#32 OP vetenigma-penguin

enigma-penguin

Neowin Prodigal Son

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:05

Cheers for the Digg Meph :p

So update on the touchscreen:
The manufacturer said that the peeling material wasn't the screen and it was a double protective overlay. So I tore that off this morning and it's damn immaculate. The screen clarity is obviously better, but there is now risk of the screen scratching against the case.

The plan at the moment is to get some thin adhesive felt and place that on the inside of the case at the margins on the touchable area, this should make sure that the screen isn't damaged if there is any movement. The other thing is I'm going to have to invert the screen frame again due to the felt adding a few more mm of thickness to the touch layer, so my space under the screen just got a little smaller.

I will do more work on this tomorrow, but things are looking better this morning :D

#33 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:50

im going to throw this up on the main page :)

#34 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:12

this is awesome but won't apple bit** about this since it's sorta copyright infringement? you must be really talented man to do all of this by yourself.

#35 ceminess

ceminess

When I’m confronted My demeanor turns from Jekyll into Hyde

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:10

WOW! Impressive! You have done a good job with this, and in such little time too. You are vary talented. Keep up the good work! I'm interested on seeing the final result.

#36 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:23

I was wondering about how Apple would react to this as well. But I can't imagine them having a problem. If anything maybe they'll take notice and ask you if you would like a job!

This is an amazing project. I'm very much looking forward to watching this all come together, and seeing the finished result.

#37 Wanderermy

Wanderermy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:32

I was wondering about how Apple would react to this as well. But I can't imagine them having a problem.

Apple would probably send him a C&D for damaging their intellectual properties. Also demanded him to send it back. A day after that a SWAT team would stormed his house.

#38 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:07

This looks very impressive, Dahr. It's a great idea, and I can't wait to see the finished result.

#39 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:44

Apple can't touch him. He bought the device, he can do what the hell he wants with it. If that includes converting to a tablet, so be it.

#40 sujmano

sujmano

Neowinian

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:46

great work man, looking forward to seeing it in when its finished

#41 OP vetenigma-penguin

enigma-penguin

Neowin Prodigal Son

Posted 06 May 2010 - 14:14

Sorted out the touch response issues and everything is working as it should now, I will have to sort out the internalisation of the usb connection and then it'll be fine to close her up permanently. There is still some case cleanup to go as well (the edges are horrible at the moment).

So I had a little fun:

Uploaded to youtube (might still be processing)

Also excuse the camera waving about, I have new found respect for product reviewers I really do.

#42 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 06 May 2010 - 14:17

...So I had a little fun:

:laugh: Brilliant!

#43 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 06 May 2010 - 14:58

Wow, brilliant project :)

Looks great, although the edges of the touch screen still look hidden by the case at the top on your latest video. Or is that just what the game looks like at the top with the little green/blue bars?

#44 OP vetenigma-penguin

enigma-penguin

Neowin Prodigal Son

Posted 06 May 2010 - 15:02

It's still partially hidden (but not as bad as before), the case cleanup hasn't been done, this was just me getting the touchscreen working properly. The last video showed just how bad it was with the previous iteration of screen mounting. The case cleanup is the next thing on my list, but at 11pm at night the lady next door wouldn't appreciate me going at it with power tools (and nor would her young children :p ).

#45 OP vetenigma-penguin

enigma-penguin

Neowin Prodigal Son

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:23

Uploaded to youtube (might still be processing)

The macbook tablet is now portable and usable; yes there are a few bits of clean up to do, but I can now sling it around. I will have to figure something out with the rotation as the options I've found at the moment aren't working so well. I'll install Snow Leopard on it now and see if that makes a difference.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!