Ubuntu 10.04 running too hot.

Something doesn't seem right. The 'Top causes for wakeups' shows a list of top activities (both software and hardware) during the sampling period. In the screenshots the 'Wakeups from idle' is very high yet the top causes don't seem to show anything unusual. The CPU stats at the top show that it is dropping to the lowest idle state so I don't see any reason why the CPU would be running hot.

You could follow the suggestions that pop up at the bottom which will enable/disable certain things that might help improve power savings. If you're lucky one of the suggestions might happen to be the thing that was causing the problem. e.g. Enabling USB suspend. In your second screenshot it says the USB camera was active 100% time which shouldn't happen unless you were using it at the time. It could be some other hardware that isn't using CPU time but is still active in the background for whatever reason.

Well I just reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04, I noticed it says My CPU Supports C1 C2 C3 and that my Bios reports C1 C3.. Would this have any bearing on the high idle count? Also it says "

An audio device is active 100.0% of the time: hwC0D0 Intel G45 DEVCTG" Could that be a huge issue why?

"Your CPU supports the following C-states : C1 C2 C3

Your BIOS reports the following C-states : C1 C3 "

Ok, So i got it down to the hundreds, but it seems to go back up once i start doing things, (Browsing.. Music..)

vrrj2b.png

And it will go back up once you start doing things, that's to be expected. Idling 100-200 is pretty good. See how your temps and battery turn out now.

You know I am running 10.04 on my HP dv6000 laptop and it is running hot also... I noticed it after the first night of running it, and thought wow it is pretty hot..

So seems to be a common problem that needs to be addressed.

You know I am running 10.04 on my HP dv6000 laptop and it is running hot also... I noticed it after the first night of running it, and thought wow it is pretty hot..

So seems to be a common problem that needs to be addressed.

Yep. It's the only problem I have with Linux.. However when I had a desktop it was fine.. no heat issues.

Hey, I'm reporting back because I tryed it on a different laptop. a Dell Inspiron 1525 with only 1GB of ram and it runs fine no issues with the wake up from idle. Hasn't even reached the ten thousands or thousands.

post-115858-12729279441243.png

There has to be a logical explanation for my Lenovo G530. I'm not exactly sure what could be the issue. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should update to the Newest Bios.

Update: Flashed the Bios to the newest one v1.10. Fixed my Brightness issue in Windows 7 where I couldnt adjust.. Gonna try now and see how it works. Will Report back.

Meh I give up. I don't know what's the issue and I don't really care anymore. I think I'll just try Debian, Suse or Fedora.

Well i had this problem too, i didnt read the other posts so i dunno if this has been mentioned. If you have compiz enabled without the hardware drivers installed this might be the problem. I initially had my laptop cpu running at around 58 degrees when i had compiz enabled without my hardware drivers installed. Since i have an ati card i did this purposefully but then i started to notice the fan being on all the time. Since from experience I recall u can use a cpu to do windows animations and such i figured this might be the prob.

Long story short I installed the hardware drivers for my card and it cooled down to 47-50 degrees. Still kinda warm since my comp is about 44. But meh

• 5 weeks later...

I've Been having the same problem with ubuntu 10.04, on my laptop. I have a compaqw 610. but its not the cpu fan running constantly for me,The fan works fine, cpu idles at 43degree the heat is under my left wrist.. i think its the graphic card. but its just a intel x3100.

if anyone else experience this problem, and solved it.. please let me know. thnx.

I've solved the problem! It's the graphics drivers! I just upgraded to the stable 10.04 x64 build and my laptop was running really hot. But as soon as I restarted after installing the drivers for my mobility radeon 4670, the fan slowed down and went back to normal--exactly how it does in windows 7. Ubuntu doesn't know how to manage power for the gpu with no drivers, so I assume the gpu is always running at 100%, causing the heat. The drivers solve everything. Hope this helps!

I've solved the problem! It's the graphics drivers! I just upgraded to the stable 10.04 x64 build and my laptop was running really hot. But as soon as I restarted after installing the drivers for my mobility radeon 4670, the fan slowed down and went back to normal--exactly how it does in windows 7. Ubuntu doesn't know how to manage power for the gpu with no drivers, so I assume the gpu is always running at 100%, causing the heat. The drivers solve everything. Hope this helps!

Thanks dude, yes i figured it might be the drivers aswell.. mine is an intel x3100.. and i can't seem to find the linux drivers for them..any ideas?

Not sure what I should do as far as this goes, It's getting pretty hot and hasn't been running log under Ubuntu. I know this is some kind of kernel problem.. but is there any fix for this? Here's a screenshot... I have compiz running, CPU Scaling enabled and set to On Demand, Laptop Battery is out, Not doing anything intensive except music and browsing and chat. Not sure why it gets so heated, Windows 7.. it runs very cool. It seems like the fan hardly ever shuts off. It seems to be always running when using Ubuntu.

jpjtk0.png

i dont think yours is running so hot. :p

have a look at mine:

sensors.jpg

i think its a driver issue for sure. my notebook includes the ati monility radeon x1600. i havent installed any extra driver. the fglrx doesnt seem to work properly.

would love ot try out another driver but havent found one yet.

now i ran the sensors command again after i heard my notebook fans started to running. temp are now down to 75 degrees. i think its still too much but i have no comparison to win7 as i didnt run a sensor program there but i remember despite having installed ati 9.1 or 9.2 drivers there, the fans were running quite often very loud.

maybe the power/cooling management is not that well implemented in ubuntu.

and then i think some notebooks generally run hotter than others.

i would love to have a possibiliy to permanently clocking down the cpu to lets say 800mhz or 1.6ghz.

is there a tool letting me doing that? the default cpu tool in the gnome panel lets me doing it only for a few seconds and then goes back to the performance on demand option.

temp is down to 71 degrees now. i think i can live with that if someone can confirm me its not too hot for my notebook spec.

• 2 months later...