Photo

Chrome + Flash = SLOW

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:38

I have just switched from Firefox to chrome and am seriously thinking of going back to Firefox, whenever i open a page that has a flash applet in Chrome, chrome will fill up all the free ram and my computer will slow to a crawl, what the hell is wrong with this browser, it's the same on both my Desktop and my Laptop.

#2 ilev

ilev

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:48

I have no RAM or any other problems running flash with Chrome 5.0.342.9 beta (XP SP3).

For example : running this link in Youtube -
takes only 70MB of memory for flash plug-in.

You can check how much memory is consumed by each tab, extension, plug-in.. by holding shift+esc

#3 Dead'Soul

Dead'Soul

Think Simple!

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:51

yes, farmville is so slow on chrome...

#4 Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2010 - 14:44

Yeah one of my only complaints about Chrome is it's performance with flash. Firefox seems to handle it A LOT better. My only other complaint is the absence of a proper ad block extension. I love Chrome and once it can block ads properly I will use it as a full time browser.

#5 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 May 2010 - 14:47

I've never found Chrome to be particularly fast regardless of whether I'm on a page that includes Flash content or not. I've never understood why people claim that it's so much better than Firefox. Add the security concerns related to the keylogging that Chrome performs and Firefox just seems like a better browser.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 02 May 2010 - 14:57

flash works fine in chrome for me

and your wrong, Chrome has an extension called AdThwart which uses the AdBlock Plus filter engine

#7 Udedenkz

Udedenkz

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Posted 02 May 2010 - 17:34

Any ad-"blocking" extension for Chrome actually simply uses the EasyList, in terms of engine it loads the advertisements and then unloads them which is different from ABP which simply does not load the advertisements.

Chrome also uses a ton of memory with image intensive sites / threads.
~500MB easily.

Firefox's advantage is simply D2D in flash video,
Posted Image
Posted Image
So, to OP, something is wrong if you do not use 3.7 nightlies and see a performance decrease with Chrome.

Edited by Udedenkz, 02 May 2010 - 17:41.

#8 Haaa-Choo

Haaa-Choo

Take a swing, please do.

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 17:44

Its a combination of Chrome's poor memory management and Flash being a completely substandard platform. If you're still having grieve, try a different browser, maybe give the FF 3.7 nightlies a try, other than that good luck ;)

#9 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 02 May 2010 - 21:34

or try opera.

#10 Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2010 - 22:46

flash works fine in chrome for me

and your wrong, Chrome has an extension called AdThwart which uses the AdBlock Plus filter engine

What you don't seem to understand is that those ad blocking extensions for Chrome actually load the ads but just hide them from view. Eventually I'm sure Chrome will ad the ability for these extensions to actually block them completely, but not yet.

#11 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:22

flash is terrible under any browser but all browsers handle it differently, some may be good at it while others may not.

#12 Septimus

Septimus

Neowinian

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:36

I've noticed a lot of slow down (and full browser crashes) with Chrome since the latest Flash release and also with the 10.1 beta.

No such problems with Firefox 3.6.4. A little annoying as Chrome is my main browser and it is happening a lot.

Flash crashes never used to impact Chrome as much until the latest dev builds started bundling that crap.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!