Photo

GoDaddy Got Hacked Yesterday

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 +Cupcakes

Cupcakes

#pugs { display: block; }

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:06

to be honest, most of those websites are inactive / using very little to no resources and/or storage space.

How did you find out you're sharing with 6,575 other websites?

Inactive accounts are worse than active :3.

I know no one offhand that's hosted on GoDaddy but went on Twitter search and grabbed a random GoDaddy customer's site:

stephenpsmith.com resolves to 208.109.181.42 and only has 162 other sites hosted on the server that account is on.

FAR from that 6,000 other sites claimed above.

So with that being said, x9248, I'm definitely also interested in your server's IP so I can check out to see if it does in fact host that many accounts on a single server :)

#62 vetKudos

Kudos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:37

I'm just going by the data that godaddy told me directly. People can argue all they want about the issue, and pull facts from all over the Internet, but 99% of them are likely to be opinions and theories.

I spoke to godaddy's security team directly, over the phone.

That's a fine attitude for a reporter, allow me to paraphrase "The accused in this debacle says so, it must be true! No further investigation needed or wanted. You guys don't know what you are talking about."

There's no pulling "facts from all over the internet," I and others posting here work in the business, I find your ignorance of that offensive.

#63 x9248

x9248

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2010 - 18:29

It's not like I just pulled a number out my arse, it's what the whois says.

Posted Image

Could it be wrong? Hell I dunno, it's what I'm going by tho.

#64 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 18:30

It's not like I just pulled a number out my arse, it's what the whois says.

Posted Image

Could it be wrong? Hell I dunno, it's what I'm going by tho.

Wow, I didn't know the numbers were so high.

#65 +Cupcakes

Cupcakes

Posted 11 May 2010 - 18:48

Why are you blocking out the domain name? For all I know that could be a domain that's using parked nameservers.

#66 x9248

x9248

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2010 - 19:23

Well assume what you want then.

#67 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 May 2010 - 19:34

Wow, I didn't know the numbers were so high.

They may dynamically shift site on the serves based on traffic, resulting in some server having a rather high amount of sites with extremely little traffic, while more active site could end up with fewer sites per server.

#68 +Cupcakes

Cupcakes

Posted 11 May 2010 - 19:38

Well assume what you want then.

I already am. I can post up the same as you and claim it's from a domain hosted by GoDaddy:

Posted Image

#69 x9248

x9248

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2010 - 20:02

Congratulations, you win the internet :rolleyes:

One, my site contains content that is against Neowins rules. Two, I do not pay for domain privacy and all my information comes up on the whois. Three, it's really none of your business.

Believe what you want, but I stated nothing but facts.

Edit: Actually if you are sooooo intent in proving me wrong, PM me and I'll be happy to give you the domain name.

#70 Droid2010

Droid2010

Neowinian

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:54

Hi, I am new to this board but I cam across this because I to was attacked, and GoDaddy basically directs me to their blog about wordpress issue. Since my site is on JOOMLA and I have no wordpress files in my system, that link doesn't work for me.

I have told them to update that blog to tell people that it has to do with Php scripts, that is how the virus is getting around. They still don't believe me.

I told them that this is a server issue. They said they can't find anything on the server to prove it. The support team gives me a general response and doesn't respond to my questions. I give them proof that I am not the only one who got hacked, again they don't believe me. in the end, they said it is my fault the hack happened and now theirs.

So I got upset and wrote an article about this, because I know there are others out there. Since then I have been receiving emails about the same thing. Their support team doesn't care about the customers and tells them to change the password or update wordpress.

kind of hard to update wordpress when there are people who, like myself, do not use wordpress..

and they keep saying my website is 'escalated' , they have been saying that since Monday and well, it is almost Thursday. What are they doing? Drinking coffee laughing as us customers because we are frustrated?? My site was flagged because of them! I lost business because of them and they said to me "its not our fault your website got a hack code"

I want to pull my hair out. I hate their general responses. They need to take responsibility for what they did and of course they won't. Because it is 'our fault' it happened.

and another thing, I even showed them proof, this link and others to prove that everyone so far are saying that this is due to SHARED hosting i.e. server.

of course GoDaddy doesn't believe me. They are getting annoyed by me because I am trying to help them solve this issue quickly by giving them input.

I have words for them right now, I will not say on the internet :)

hopefully this issue will get solved SOONER than later and fyi GoDaddy peeps, I got rid of the virus, three days later it came back again and I got rid of it again. I am a cpu tech person I went thru it line-by-line for a looong time today as well as Sunday. So I know the codes are gone but again GoDaddy thinks that I missed code. I might have but I did look through 6,000K and also check it with Notepad++, probably what they would do. So I made sure I didn't miss anything.

So again, if it goes away what the heck is making it come back?!?! Oh right, because their servers are affected! duh!

#71 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:02

didn't they also screw over their customers with domain name registration a while ago too?

#72 Droid2010

Droid2010

Neowinian

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:07

didn't they also screw over their customers with domain name registration a while ago too?

I think so. But then again, you ask them they will be like "oh no that isn't true. You are the one who messed up" lol

#73 Ndoki

Ndoki

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 30 May 2010 - 13:14

I found a free fix instruction to remove it at http://www.digitaldr...eanup-solution/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!