Time Travel Is Possible, Says Stephen Hawking

From that article, I read this paragraph---

---

Through the wormhole, the scientist can see himself as he was one minute ago. But what if our scientist uses the wormhole to shoot his earlier self? He's now dead. So who fired the shot? It's a paradox. It just doesn't make sense. It's the sort of situation that gives cosmologists nightmares.

Now.. In my mind, as soon as the scientist decided that he was in fact going to do this, he would be dead.

But who fired the shot? The earlier self hasn't had the though yet.

Actually, photons DO have mass (proved by Einstein's eclipse experiment).

That's relativistic mass, a correlated but different concept.

But who fired the shot? The earlier self hasn't had the though yet.

I know haha I just tried explaining this to my gf and she left the room :laugh:

Its really interesting, and my brain feels like I am just about to understand it, but then I dont :laugh:

Photons don't have any mass, which is what stops other particles from reaching the speed of light.

As you accelerate a particle with mass, the amount of energy needed to keep accelerating it increases, so that as it approaches the speed of light the energy needed to continue accelerating it approaches infinity.

Finally somebody else understands why we can never accelerate to C. Thank you. :D

He didn't say TRAVEL FASTER than the speed of light (since its not possible) he said 99.9999% of the speed of light.

In-fact time slows down to prevent anything from traveling faster than the speed of light.

The example given is this:

A little girl is aboard a train that is traveling 99.999% the speed of light. Now if this girl were to leave her seat and begin to run up the isle she would potentially be able to surpass the speed of light, however quantum physics does not allow this.

The moment the little girl would begin moving forward time for her would begin to run slower and slower, thus preventing her from ever running past the speed of light.

so theoretically we could keep making ourselfs age slower and slower? so lets say if we wanted to go forward 1000 years, we could make it so one second would be a year? instead of a day being a year? by just increasing our speed since time would be slower and slower.

though wound distance not stay the same? IE if a planet was 1 light year away, how would that work?

sorry if that dosent make sense. I find it really hard to say what I mean on this subject.

Finally somebody else understands why we can never accelerate to C. Thank you. :D

I get an MS in physics in a few days. I had better be able to tell you why you can't accelerate a massy particle to c. ;)

so theoretically we could keep making ourselfs age slower and slower? so lets say if we wanted to go forward 1000 years, we could make it so one second would be a year? instead of a day being a year? by just increasing our speed since time would be slower and slower.

though wound distance not stay the same? IE if a planet was 1 light year away, how would that work?

sorry if that dosent make sense. I find it really hard to say what I mean on this subject.

Yes, you can make yourself age slower. However, you're also living slower relative to others.

Light always travels at the same speed, no matter how fast you're going.

Light travels at 300,000,000 meters per second. If I'm travelling at 299,999,999 meters per second away from the earth, light is still travelling at 300,000,000 meters per second faster than me. The intuitive notion of adding velocities does not work at relativistic speeds.

The whole "throw a baseball on a moving train" model of relativity is called Galilean, and while it works just fine for speeds we encounter in our lives, it's useless when you get to appreciable fractions of the speed of light.

Try reading this: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity#Basics_of_special_relativity

It's a very simple explanation of the concept.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

HP1_128x128_4bitC_80frame-1-.gif

Physics is digital. universe formed with prime numbers algoritm .

time travel dont need light speed. time traveling only need a digital map of prime . and move in Prime way with no time passes.

at this date i Felt the start of final countdown. and after that step by step i felt everything . July 22, 2009 Solar Eclipse

no one can understand why stephen hawking Said about time traveling and ufo ....

you dont understand professor hawking who is he. and why he can unlimited life.

me and professor can Answers for all no solve questions.

we are in the last step of Evolution. and we should understand the time.

Now I am try for preparing to publish information .

See My Engine Time Videos

DigitalSky.gif

6 years,,, at full throttle thrust, in space where theres no atmosphere.

Hmm.. thats a damn big rocket ship!!

I think we have a LOT more research into energy and how to store, conserve and utilize it. how much thrust does a full throttle space shuttle have anyway? 2000 days burntime is mad.