Photo

Definitive Best Browser Engine 3

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive Best Browser Engine 3 (642 member(s) have cast votes)

Which browser engine do you like the best?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 May 2010 - 20:25

def web-kit.... its getting better and better every release.

#17 Fedr0

Fedr0

Disappeared

Posted 18 May 2010 - 21:18

I'm a Firefox user(not planing to change) but I have to say Webkit's engine is wayyyy much better.

Same situation here. I am simply in a situation where all the extensions I use are essential to me.

#18 OP unintentional

unintentional

This is all fat free, right?

Posted 20 May 2010 - 21:37

Same situation here. I am simply in a situation where all the extensions I use are essential to me.

I totally understand. I had to give up a bunch of Firefox extensions to move to Chrome, but I'm happy I did. The majority of the extensions I had on FF either had feasible replacements or were features already implemented in Chrome.

If you're interested in trying a switch, the gurus over in the Google Chrome subforum would be more than happy to try to help you find replacements for things.

As for me, I have lobbied for Firefox to adopt Webkit since the first few years of its existence. I would seriously consider going back if they did.

#19 Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2010 - 00:00

Gecko(Firefox 3.6.4)

I tried Opera 10.53(installed atm) but it felted slower than FF sometimes. Haven't tried Chrome yet. Waiting for new stable to be released to try it out.

#20 +BoneyardBrew

BoneyardBrew

Photoshop Junkie

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 21 May 2010 - 00:04

I've heard that the IE team is planning to switch to Webkit in version 9. How long has this rumour been around? I have read about it coming with IE8 in the past but this is just getting ridiculous. I would love Microsoft if they did switch though!

They are already in the process of updating Trident for the latest version of IE. The Developer Previews all use a new version that is actually catching up to other Webkit browsers in performance.

#21 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 26 May 2010 - 18:21

Pinning this thread. :)

#22 tender_boi

tender_boi

Neowinian

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:07

Webkit, it is fastttt

#23 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:09

Hm. What people don't know is that the browser -engine- isn't the most important thing for speed, but rather the Javascript thing. For Chrome for example, this is V8. The one Mozilla is working on for Firefox is TraceMonkey.

#24 Ibutsu

Ibutsu

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:32

WebKit, I have no doubt. Used Chrome since it was first available on Windows, and then swapped to Safari when I moved to OS X. I love the WebKit Inspector, the speed's great and it has lots of other neat things in it.

#25 Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Neowinian

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:28

webkit does it for me

#26 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:41

Hm. What people don't know is that the browser -engine- isn't the most important thing for speed, but rather the Javascript thing. For Chrome for example, this is V8. The one Mozilla is working on for Firefox is TraceMonkey.

No, the browseres rendering engine is more important - parsing and accurately rendering HTML as fast as possible is more important, simply because its the basis of the web. The javascript area does give big speed discrepancies, but then again only a minority of sites are heavily javascript based to a point where those javascript speed differences would make a discernible difference.

#27 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 02 June 2010 - 19:40

Definitely Webkit for me as well. I use quite a few Webkit based browsers (like QTWeb and Arora along with Lunascape which uses like all 4 major rendering engines heh) and find them all super fast. Opera is also very fast, especially the new 10.60 alpha release. We'll have to see where Webkit and Presto go from here I suppose...

#28 OP unintentional

unintentional

This is all fat free, right?

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:53

I thought that the Opera 10.60 alpha got its speed from a new or upgraded JS renderer rather than actual Presto improvements. Heh.

Webkit is still awesome. :)

#29 Yadro

Yadro

Hollow

Posted 06 June 2010 - 15:36

Gecko for me,firefox all the way :p

#30 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 June 2010 - 17:53

All engines have their pros and cons. I'm worried about webkit getting too much use, though. We don't need another browser monopoly.

I thought that the Opera 10.60 alpha got its speed from a new or upgraded JS renderer rather than actual Presto improvements. Heh.

The JS engine is part of the browser's engine...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!