Definitive Best Browser Engine 3

496 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser engine do you like the best?

• Trident (Internet Explorer)
    • Gecko (Mozilla)
    • Presto (Opera)
    • KHTML (Konqueror)
    • Webkit (Safari, Chrome)

Gecko 2.0!

Supports all sorts of addons (also chrome like addons)

Fastest Gecko ever , plus TypeInference (see this ) , although @ very initial stage , is already super fast

Support for hardware acceleration for ALL OSes!

Superb canvas + html5 + html5 audio tag + webM + webGL etc etc support

and more ...

dont u guys think we need new such thread? The chakra , the new presto with HA , the webkit 2.0 and gecko 2.0 have all landed this year , and the thread is one year old

• 1 month later...

Gecko cause its render quality is way better than Webkit's

Pretty sure I've seen more broken pages in Webkit than Gecko, methinks people are voting for their favourite browser = failed poll :pinch:

Pretty sure I've seen more broken pages in Webkit than Gecko, methinks people are voting for their favourite browser = failed poll :pinch:

I've used Chrome for a while now (a convert from using firefox) and the only thing I remember seeing which was broken the whole time was the product image preview zoom thingy. It just doesn't pan around. I wouldn't be able to name a single other thing which was broken.

• 2 months later...

Wow, more then a year since my previous comment, things has changed much quicker then i thought. We now have IE 10 in preview, Firefox 8.0 in nightly. Webkit 2.0 still no where to be seen. And Chrome is still improving bit by bit.

Last year i said Gecko is slow. That was a time when 4.0 seems no where near release. Now we are in 6.0 Beta already. I think competition really helps to improve things. Although Gecko is STILL the slowest of them all. I think the difference is negligible. With 64Bit, PGO and other sort of improvement coming in. Before the end of this year, we should have a Stable release of Firefox that is on par with Chrome in terms of speed. So in terms of Browser Engine Gecko's future looks great, with many more code refactoring, multi process rewrite, it should finally get rid of the ugliness and stay clean and lean.

Webkit 2.0 was suppose to bring its own Multi process work. But nothing has been posted since last year. I suppose we will hear more about it soon. Gecko's e10s took more then 2 years or planning, testing and all sort of experiment. Webkit will properly take their time as well.

IE has jump from nowhere to somewhere. IE9 is fast, and 10 is EVEN faster. Finally it proves Microsoft do write fast code. As an engine it is very good. But when you are comparing to other it actually lacks behind in terms of HTML 5 supported features, site compatibility and only available on Windows Platform. But most of these are minor problems.

Presto is still the same. It is still very fast, still very lean but suffers from compatibility problem. Since most other engine are already fast and learn, or will be in the near future, comparatively speaking this doesn't make presto looks very good.

So by the end of 2011, Browser engine for Opera 12, Firefox 9, IE 10 Beta, Chrome / Webkit should all perform similarly with negligible difference on Modern Machine. Web Compatiblity will be the key difference, and Gecko seems to do better in this area, closely followed by Webkit.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out Saferi 5.1 is actually based on Webkit 2. I dont know what is new. Unlike Firefox Development which is easy to follow, Webkit improvement news are hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a chrome convert after just giving it a try again tonight after firefox was randomly freezing on a messageboard I was on for about a second at a time.. wow this thing is blazing at least on a decent system. Last time I tried it on a netbook it was slower, I'll give it another try there.

• 2 months later...

Thumbs up if you keep coming to this thread thinking there's a new post but keep reading stockwiz's same message every time!

Kidding aside, I think the Webkit devs have done a great job of keeping the browser wars interesting.

Webkit hands down!

Okay, who voted for KHTML?! :D

Reveal! I'm mobile and as you guys know mobile lacks many features that are quite nice to have and wouldn't clutter the interface... :(

</subliminal message to the devs>

Glassed Silver:ios

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I gave a test run to Firefox 11 on my iMac, unfortunately its slow as a snail as compared to Safari.

• 1 month later...

I gave a test run to Firefox 11 on my iMac, unfortunately its slow as a snail as compared to Safari.

Same for me too, but not on my Windows 7 laptop.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much activity here. Back to firefox for good because chrome just does not handle ad blocking at all, and despite my best efforts to try turning it off sites have made it impossible to do so with the amount of popups, downloads that just try to start for spyware out of nowhere, 30 second ads before every youtube video (honestly expect people to watch an ad before every youtube video please) ... also any freeware you get these days is always bundled with several spyware programs. People have making money on the net down to an art... trouble is, it blocks good sites who use non intrusive advertising from getting revenue, because no way will I not use ad blocking.

Chrome has trouble with having to press the back button on the mouse 6 times just to get a page to go back also... very irritating so I won't use.

I voted Opera/Presto as that browser has always seemed to be the fastest on any of my machines and just as stable and secure as any other browser.

Really bums me out that they switched to Chromes engine though as that has always seemed slowest and least responsive on my stuff.