Asus vs. Toshiba

both are good.if you got the cash then toshiba will do but if your short then asus will do. just don't pick HP junk.

I will tell you sth my friend:

"WHILE TOSHIBA INVENTED LAPTOPS, ASUS BECAME THEIR MOTHER"

this is true.

TOshiba is too expensive for its specs and to heavy. trust me.

My experiences with HP laptops are avoid the "cheap end" or first batch of new models and if possible, take out extended warranty because if it fails, they will send you the part/s or replace. Great customer service on hardware issues (Once you get past the tools on their Call Centre desk). Chasis take a beating and spare parts on ebay when out of warranty are aplenty.

IBM/Lev-what-avo: See HP but hit with 90's looks stick. Cost more than most but they are like Lego, when they break you just piece them back together. ThinkPads cannot be killed by conventional users, I swear Panasonic Toughbooks are made from these and tank armour.

DELL, many arguments with their customer service department members over getting them to replace parts or RMA the units unless you have taken extended warranty. Please do not buy a DELL without the extra warranty because it makes baby Chocobos cry if/when you get a PSU/Power related fault. Custom paint colours wear through on the keyboard rests on the studio models.

SONY, not had many issues other than overheating (Sony, please read a guide (*ANY* guide) on how to apply thermal paste/pads). They are designed to repaired & taken apart by people who do model kits of British Warships in their spare time.

ASUS, only issues people have come to me are when they have been dropped or spilled liquid over them. Screens do not like college or university stairwells. Great & solid built devices.

ACER, buy from Tesco. They are the only retail outlet that will replace these for new (off their shelf) if it's defective/faulty. Anything that is Silver or Black paint on these can be regarded as temporary and will have disappeared within 4 months.

SAMSUNG, not had many encounters but haven't had one brought to me that's failed yet either. Good thing?

"Toshiba" & "Satellite" are swear words.

I believe the accidental damage warranty depends on where you buy it and what model it is, so might want to double check on that detail.

As for Toshiba vs Asus in general, it's a COMPLETE no brainer. Toshiba is the bottom of the barrel as far as quality, while Asus is the cream of the crop. I've worked on every manufacturer out there for years, and Asus is my top pick, followed by a decent HP and even some Acers.

You'll definitely get more bang for your buck with an Asus.

Toshiba has some of the worst build quality I've ever seen. My laptop broke 2 days within warranty period, and they refused to fix it. Sign of a poor company.

Well this is pure BS. Maybe if you buy the cheapest Toshiba's, but then the same goes for Asus. But on average form decent laptops and up. Toshiba is far above Asus on build quality, and asus is anything but cream of anything.

The Qosmio in particular has excellent build quality. more importantly they have far superior cooling. And they stay cool no matter how hard you push them, not hot keyboards or armrest, and the fans aren't noisy either. They also have better speakers if that's important to you. So yeah, I'd definately go with the Toshiba in those alternatives. in fact I'd go with toshiba against most alternatives.

Loving the debate going on in this thread and its very interesting considering I'm currently sporting a Toshiba Satellite Pro A210 which I bought 3 years ago and has served me extremely well with no hiccups (unlike my previous Dell Inspiron which caused no end of trouble).

Sofar all I've noticed on the Toshiba is the keyboard gets a bit flexxy and the fan gets loud not to mention sporadic switching on and off at times but thats down to wear and tear. I really really like the Toshiba keyboards aswell and the whole package just feels nice.

However now I'm in the market for something light, smaller, more portable that I can do the following on:

Watch movies

Play games - not bothered about the detail settings, and I see the Asus 1201N I mentioned above can play the likes of ModernWarfare2 and Mass Effect 2 with its Ion chip

Internet

Word/Excel

Stream from youtube

The Toshiba is a bit too big for me now which is why I've been looking into the Asus line and while my original thoughts to buy that N61J I mentioned at the start have now turned more portable, hence the 1201N question above; I think the choice is clear for my needs.

But I am concerned about the build quality of the Asus netbooks - has anyone got any experience of that 1201N? Are the eepc's actually a worthwhile laptop to use? I have my new HTC Desire and the plan is to have that and a light portable computer that does all of the above and then i'll be happy.

Point is - I have nothing against Toshiba whatsoever, it just seems at the moment Asus serves my needs better.

Well this is pure BS. Maybe if you buy the cheapest Toshiba's, but then the same goes for Asus. But on average form decent laptops and up. Toshiba is far above Asus on build quality, and asus is anything but cream of anything.

The Qosmio in particular has excellent build quality. more importantly they have far superior cooling. And they stay cool no matter how hard you push them, not hot keyboards or armrest, and the fans aren't noisy either. They also have better speakers if that's important to you. So yeah, I'd definately go with the Toshiba in those alternatives. in fact I'd go with toshiba against most alternatives.

At the time, the laptop was $699, which is mid range. I'll agree it did stay cool, but that was thanks to the Pentium M speedstep, and the terrible fan. The fan was so bad, it came on/off and it was very loud. My Compaq laptop also runs cool (although it has a Turion CPU). The keyboard/mouse area on the Compaq is cool to touch just as the Toshiba was. My Satellite had speakers near the palmrest, so if you shut the laptop lid, you couldn't hear the speakers, but apart from that, laptop speakers tend to suck. The Qosmio is also more expensive.

Anyways, what happened to my Toshiba was the backlight went out 2 days before warranty expired. I called up support, and they were 100% convinced it was a virus and they offered to fix it over the phone for $35. What a poor ass company to not support your product regardless if there's 2 days left on the warranty (let alone diagnosing a hardware problem as a virus). For that I hate Toshiba, and my friends who "had" Toshiba's also had many problems. From my experience and my friend's, I can't recommend Toshiba at all.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and you may have better luck, and remember everyone has different opinions on brand. If you want one brand that is proven reliable time after time, go for the IBM Thinkpad. That's not to say the Thinkpads are problem free, because the world isn't perfect, and electronics break, but the Thinkpads are known for their reliability rate.