"Dredd" Judge Dredd Reboot

Karl Urban is a great choice. This might turn out good after all.

Indeed, for once I'm quite hopeful. And if they have Judge Anderson around, that could mean one of the stories from the comic, which I enjoyed very much.

Scirwode

In what could be a (smart) attempt to distance the film from the first failed Judge Dredd movie starring Sylvester Stallone, the upcoming adaptation of the British sci-fi comic series has shortened its title to simply Dredd.

Meanwhile, there?s also an official synopsis for the film.

IM Global, one of the studios producing the film, describes it like so:

DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra?s revered comic strip.

Read more: Judge Dredd Movie Retitled ?Dredd?; Official Synopsis Revealed | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/07/judge-dredd-movie-retitled-dredd-official-synopsis-revealed/#ixzz0yr2ZfROa

• 1 month later...
Lionsgate announced today that the studio has picked up U.S. distribution rights for IM Global's Dredd, reports Variety.

Dredd starts production on November 12 in Cape Town, South Africa. Directed by Pete Travis, the $45 million-budgeted 3D project will star Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby.

The film takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary.

Alex Garland wrote the script based on John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's comic strip.

I kind of liked the old movie. But seriously... Karl Urban as Dredd? They could have pick a better one. Stalone is an hard one to beat.

• 3 weeks later...
703037601.jpg

The first image of Karl Urban as Judge Dredd in the Pete Travis-directed remake/readaptation of the sci-fi comic series (itled simply 'Dredd') has found its way online. It seems to have been made public by Jock, the comic book artist who is also working on the film as one of its concept artists, and is, according to 2000adOnline.com, a shot taken from rehearsals. So, don't judge the film by the lighting or the location, take it simply as your first look at Karl Urban as a futuristic police officer, judge, jury and executioner.

Even without proper cinematography, it's easy to see that this new Dredd is not taking the cartoonish, overly plastic approach to the costume design that Sylvester Stallone had to wear back in 1995. What do you think? Has this first image started to pique your 'Dredd' interest?

The only way Dredd could work would be a vengeful character that was never "enlightened".

Hollywood would never allow a biopic of a vengeful life without redemption or regret which is essentially what I hope the original vision was.

Bleeding Cool was the first to tell you that Karl Urban was Judge Dredd. We brought you the first shot of Judge Dredd. Now we bring you shots from the Cape Town Civic Centre, where they are filming, and making up a Mega-City One.

841304700.jpg

356392141.jpg

488663184.png

184488535.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Judge Dredd world and characters are quite visually exaggerated, and I wish they would use effects to make it like that:

Judge_Dredd.jpg

When we the insanity of rebooting every single movie out there stop.

I don't understand why people moan about this.

Perhaps they think that reboots/remakes are supposed to compete with the original, which is an odd concept.

none of them are good,the first will always be the first anything else is just crap.

So what you're saying is that the only decent Batman film is the black & white serial film from 1943; all the succeeding films are crap?

297411805.jpg

It was first reported by JudgeDreddMovieNews.com, and later confirmed by The Playlist, that Lena Headey has been cast as the main villain and gang leader, Madeline Madrigal (AKA "Ma-Ma") in Dredd.

Headey ("Game of Thrones," "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," 300) joins Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby in the Pete Travis-directed movie, written by Alex Garland and currently filming in South Africa.

Dredd takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/113650-lena-headey-confirmed-for-dredd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked the Original... kinda sad to see a bunch of these movies rebooted instead of new ideas coming, its like watching the same damn movie over again.

I liked the Original... kinda sad to see a bunch of these movies rebooted instead of new ideas coming, its like watching the same damn movie over again.

I do not see an issue with reinterpreting popular characters & film. Especially comic books. Also "reboot" is a stupid term for it. It gives the impression that all other interpretations are being binned; they aren't, it's just a different take is all.

That said this films looks pretty poor if those pictures are anything to go by.

They have to stop with all these remakes - Dredd is a classic just like Total Recall.

Are you mad!?!?

The first Dredd movie was a pile of Hollywood BS and had nothing in common with the original graphic novels.

Remake it and make it worth watching i say!