Portal is now free until May 24th for PC & MAC on Steam

I must have had about 2 GB of Portal pre-loaded and already on my hdd somehow, I only had to download about 1.3 GB and the download took less than an hour on my 1.5 Mb/s satellite connection.

So the latest update fixed my main issue with it (the blurriness). The colour correction filter was doing something funny to the result.

Hmmm, haven't logged in for about a day and a half, when I just opened Steam up I got a 0kb patch for Portal....er ok?

Now I go to launch it and the game continually crashes to desktop on me :(

Maybe I haven't played enough Portal, but I totally don't get that :|

Sowwy.

Left click - Blue Portal, Right click - Orange Portal.

The person who made that image got the colors backwards, but in short, with a 1-button mac mouse, you can only create one portal, but require two portals to actually do anything.

I have a whole bunch of those mice. I doubt the computer they came with could run Steam (being 12 years old and topping out at 350Mhz)

My mac is about 3 years old with a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2GB Ram. Portal runs great in it. Unfortunately it runs a little choppy in its native res

Plus I can play the game no prob with my one button touch sensitive mighty mouse :cool:

Just finished the game. Second favorite game of all time! GLaDOS favorite game villain of all time <3

I cannot believe I left it this long to play!

I get 9-40, ~20 average on my netbook.

I can see why they released it for free. It is a small game after all.

It is extremely short for a full release, but it has great gameplay and its easily expandable by custom maps.

Just finished the game. Second favorite game of all time! GLaDOS favorite game villain of all time <3

I cannot believe I left it this long to play!

It is a great game, theres tons of custom maps out too if you want to solve more puzzles. I actually need to replay it once or twice to get a few achievements (missed 1 damn camera on my first playthrough). Can't wait for Portal 2 though, its going to have an epic story.

It is extremely short for a full release, but it has great gameplay and its easily expandable by custom maps.

It is a great game, theres tons of custom maps out too if you want to solve more puzzles. I actually need to replay it once or twice to get a few achievements (missed 1 damn camera on my first playthrough). Can't wait for Portal 2 though, its going to have an epic story.

This. And my friend did the same thing over the past few days. He's replayed Portal over and over (and over) again just to get those hard to get achievements. I think he's all Portaled out at this point though :D

Portal 2 is going to be awesome, we all know it. But what I can't wait for is co-op! Man that's going to be weirdddddddddddddd to play.

Yeah I think I am going to give it a rest for the moment. First ever game that has actually made me feel a bit sick. I was so focused on what was going on and my character doing all the camera spins I barely managed to finish the last few levels :laugh:

Any good custom map packs then to try out?

*notices achievements*

Goddammit.

I get 9-40, ~20 average on my netbook.

upped that to 12-80FPS, ~30 average :cool:

Any good custom map packs then to try out?

*notices achievements*

Goddammit.

http://portalmaps.wecreatestuff.com/

Thats the largest single map-pack I know of, 40 levels, 3+ hours of gameplay (not sure if thats for first playthrough or already knowing how to do it). I have completed it myself before, which means its not overly difficult to perform the maneuvers you have to perform, but it definitely is challenging to figure it out (unless you have beaten the flash version, then you will have a good idea of what to do).

http://portalmaps.wecreatestuff.com/

Thats the largest single map-pack I know of, 40 levels, 3+ hours of gameplay (not sure if thats for first playthrough or already knowing how to do it). I have completed it myself before, which means its not overly difficult to perform the maneuvers you have to perform, but it definitely is challenging to figure it out (unless you have beaten the flash version, then you will have a good idea of what to do).

Easy.. very, very easy map pack.

Play this:

http://www.portalprelude.com/

It will break your mind in half.

Easy.. very, very easy map pack.

Play this:

http://www.portalprelude.com/

It will break your mind in half.

That might be the one I am thinking about....I remember playing that that took hours to get through because some of the puzzles were very confusing and very well made. Just couldn't remember the Portal Prelude pack so I assumed it was the flash map pack.

Either way, both are great packs, and as soon as I finish some more achievements I'm going to go back and play through both again.

Aren't they working on Prelude part 2 or something like that already? My friend tried that out one time a year or so ago, I think his brain melted...

Nice.

Glad I visited this section of NeoWin today. :)

Are there any more Steam deals like this going on?

I would love to add more free games to my Steam account.

Unless someone here has some games they would feel generous enough to gift. <- O.T. I know. I apologize.

Thanks again for the news.

Nice.

Glad I visited this section of NeoWin today. :)

Are there any more Steam deals like this going on?

I would love to add more free games to my Steam account.

Unless someone here has some games they would feel generous enough to gift. <- O.T. I know. I apologize.

Thanks again for the news.

Rarely is there a deal where they make a game free, but you can get a few good games at great discounts, usually at the weekend.

Look for the freely available games though, there are a few (TrackMania Nations to name one).