Portal is now free until May 24th for PC & MAC on Steam

Yup, one of the better ones of the past few years. And there are alot of levels/maps you can download as well.

Oh ok, with that said i might just stick to plain senseless violence and keep playing Urban Terror :p Portal sounds too much of a thinker's game.

Sadly i already own Portal :p Still... <3 to valve... Want TF2 for mac though :p (which i own xD)

So it's an FPS/Puzzle game?

Yup

Quit asking and try it out.

Yes. You WILL love it. Trust us.

Oh ok, with that said i might just stick to plain senseless violence and keep playing Urban Terror :p Portal sounds too much of a thinker's game.

Thats what I like about it. :p Mindless violent games can be fun, but a game that challenges your brain is far better than any brain that challenges your twitch reflex IMHO.

Got the steam client but gives a blank page when trying to get Portal.

If I refresh I get:

Failed to load web page (unknown error).-324

Failed to load web page (unknown error).

Could it be they are hammered or am I doing something wrong?

Yes they are being hammered to death. I'd just keep trying over the next hour or two or threeeeeeee :)

Hey I play UrT as well! :) But you should still try Portal, it is more or less a thinkers game, but it's really good (and is really funny and has a decent plot going on).

Sadly i already own Portal :p Still... <3 to valve... Want TF2 for mac though :p (which i own xD)

TF2 comes out for MAC next week I believe. Either TF2 or Left 4 Dead 2, one of them does next week.

Dudes, you have until May 24th. You can pick it up any time between now and then so chill.

Hey I play UrT as well! :) But you should still try Portal, it is more or less a thinkers game, but it's really good (and is really funny and has a decent plot going on).

I'll try it when i get home if i have time, I've got softball practice until 7:30p today.

I downloaded at a constant 1.2MB/s which is virtually my max.....a peak of nearly 2MB/s though, only took maybe 20-30 minutes, but I started the download before this topic was even created so I probably beat some of the rush. Also, at this time, people are getting home from work and/or school, so the servers are probably getting hammered harder now than earlier.

Very slow download. First time using steam but I'm only getting around 150kB/s with my 100Mb connection and that cant be normal...

Dudes, you have until May 24th. You can pick it up any time between now and then so chill.

Yup, important point sir!

I'll try it when i get home if i have time, I've got softball practice until 7:30p today.

You should enjoy it I think :)

awesome! thanks for the info... almost done dl'ing...

No problemo, enjoy.

Very slow download. First time using steam but I'm only getting around 150kB/s with my 100Mb connection and that cant be normal...

Nope that's not normal. Steam is just getting hammered right now. You can always try again later or just let it download for now at whatever speed it's going at.

Same here. My 20mb connection is at 1.2mb with steam pinch.gif

How is everyone able to get a download but me?

I have adblockers turned off and nothing in my hosts is pointing away from them or blocking anything.

This is very odd that I can't even get a download page. All I get is a blank screen or page cannot load error as I mentioned b4.

That is freaking awesome! :) Valve continue to amaze me. I will return this kindness with my loyalty to their platform. :heart:

Thank you very much LOC. A rep for you sir (Y)

I have adblockers turned off and nothing in my hosts is pointing away from them or blocking anything.

This is very odd that I can't even get a download page. All I get is a blank screen or page cannot load error as I mentioned b4.

Just keep trying. It's getting hammered, it's possible one person can get the page to load while you can't. Just keep at it and you'll get it trust me :)

That is freaking awesome! :) Valve continue to amaze me. I will return this kindness with my loyalty to their platform. :heart:

Thank you very much LOC. A rep for you sir (Y)

Yup, Valve rules as usual!

And thanks Green_Eye :D

I'm having the same problem. Their store shows it at 30 bucks, and when I click on the link for the "download this free" in the site, it says "prgram cannot display the webpage"

EDIT: figures. Just after posting this it started working

I checked my account on Steam and it at least shows it as being complimentary for now. So, that will be my insurance just as long as they don't change it. :)

I'm having the same problem. Their store shows it at 30 bucks, and when I click on the link for the "download this free" in the site, it says "prgram cannot display the webpage"

Just make sure you are going here to get it. You have to just keep trying, Steam is just getting destroyed right now.

Oh and the $30 thing is for the Orange Box package, don't click on that one obviously. Where it says "Play Portal" there is the Steam/Play link for the game that says Install Game.

Just make sure you are going here to get it. You have to just keep trying, Steam is just getting destroyed right now.

Oh and the $30 thing is for the Orange Box package, don't click on that one obviously. Where it says "Play Portal" there is the Steam/Play link for the game that says Install Game.

Used that link and it then took me to the download page for steam, but if I clicked on the download demo it is at least making an attempt at downloading/installing that. I am guessing that it might upgrade it to full after that?

It's still downloading here, with download speeds varying between 60 and 200 KB/s. Ah well. Can't beat getting a game like Portal for that price... I'll gladly wait several hours for it to be downloaded.

Used that link and it then took me to the download page for steam, but if I clicked on the download demo it is at least making an attempt at downloading/installing that. I am guessing that it might upgrade it to full after that?

Did you install Steam first before clicking on that link I listed? Steam has to be installed for it to work obviously. And I don't know if downloading the demo will turn it into the full game, I actually doubt it since you have to go through that link to have it linked to your account etc beforehand.

I see a lot of the Mac users didn't know that Steam typically has slower download speeds than your average connection download speed. Well you just found out, the hard way. :shiftyninja: