Photo

Microsoft Reminds You IE6 Is From 2001 and Expired!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• 8,215 posts
  • Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 15 May 2010 - 16:57

In an Australian marketing campaign, Microsoft is urging those using Internet Explorer 6 to upgrade already. "You wouldn't drink nine-year-old milk, so why use a nine-year-old browser?" asks the Web site urging IE6 users to upgrade to something closer to the front of the fridge. You have to check out the site to believe it!

Posted Image

According to research from Net Applications, IE6 accounts for about 17.6 percent of browser usage worldwide today, with No. 1 IE8 recently picking up steam as people upgrade. One reason for IE6's continuing use is that it's built into Windows XP, which remains in widespread use. Windows 7--which, unlike in-between Vista, is showing signs of catching on--comes with IE8 built in. Convincing corporations to change operating systems can be harder though, especially those with in-house applications designed to run specifically with IE6.

source

#2 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,347 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:01

Oh man, I remember that study.

I remember I had an issue with the results, since Chrome, Safari and Firefox all use the same data source, so them not getting the same results meant that they weren't letting the browsers update the DB during testing.

#3 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,700 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:03

Still, its a very valid point. But Sethos would probably have to argue with what they say (In terms of the milk). :rofl:

#4 Singh400

Singh400

Neowinian Senior

• 5,839 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:16

Convincing corporations to change operating systems can be harder though, especially those with in-house applications designed to run specifically with IE6.

This. We have only just had confirmation that we can move to IE7.

#5 a1ien

a1ien

Neowinian

• 687 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:16

Sethos, are you still using IE6?? That's just sick man, sick :x

#6 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

• 5,660 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:20

I find it hard to have any sympathy here. The whole IE mess is Microsoft's own doing.

#7 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

• 22,208 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:27

I think the 9 year old milk would be pretty solid by now.

using IE6 isnt THAT bad, lol.

:shifty:

#8 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:29

Convincing corporations to change operating systems can be harder though, especially those with in-house applications designed to run specifically with IE6.

That wouldn't have been a problem if Microsoft themselves hadn't pushed developers to use their non-standard crap in IE6 that no longer worked in later browsers. They have no one but themselves to blame there. :rolleyes:

#9 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

• 3,123 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:31

Yeah, Microsoft have a very valid point.. IE6 was good in 2001-2003.. its dead now.

#10 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 20,982 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:40

I find it hard to have any sympathy here. The whole IE mess is Microsoft's own doing.

Agreed, once Netscape was out of the picture they left IE6 to rot, almost five years without a new version. On top of that it wasnt very different to IE 5.5 anyway.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:52

That wouldn't have been a problem if Microsoft themselves hadn't pushed developers to use their non-standard crap in IE6 that no longer worked in later browsers. They have no one but themselves to blame there. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. This is all Microsoft's doing.

#12 ilev

ilev

Neowinian

• 885 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 17:53

I wouldn't drink fresh milk if it was called IE8. I would hate the taste.

#13 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,050 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 18:03

I hear IE9 is enriched with SVG (Something Vitamin G).

I wouldn't have sympathy if Microsoft hadn't created IE7 and 8. But they did, and nobody moved on. I don't have sympathy for those who don't move on.

#14 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 18:21

I wouldn't have sympathy if Microsoft hadn't created IE7 and 8. But they did, and nobody moved on. I don't have sympathy for those who don't move on.

The problem lies with the fact that IE7 and 8 broke compatibility with many of the things that web developers relied on in IE6, and prevented companies who had IE6-specific web apps from using them.

#15 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 20,982 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 15 May 2010 - 18:26

I hear IE9 is enriched with SVG (Something Vitamin G).

It's not an easy choice to move on if your company realid for so many years on an already obsolete brwoser technology mainly because they had NO choice.

I know Nathan Lineback is not exactly the most unbiased IE critic, but his page of Findings of Fact about IE tells the story of why IE used to be so hated (and still is by some)

http://toastytech.com/evil/fof.html