Microsoft Reminds You IE6 Is From 2001 and Expired!

You're reading far too deep into this :rolleyes:

I would argue that geeks who make puke emoticons when the conversation turns to IE6 are reading too far in. I am taking it at face value. Anybody who still uses IE6 willingly is doing so because they plain feel that it still works fine for them. And you would come up to somebody like that and say "look, using this browser is like drinking something that could kill you"? They would either question your intelligence or punch you for the insult to theirs. When IE6 causes machines to burst into flames, you could compare it to 9 year old milk.

I would argue that geeks who make puke emoticons when the conversation turns to IE6 are reading too far in. I am taking it at face value. Anybody who still uses IE6 willingly is doing so because they plain feel that it still works fine for them. And you would come up to somebody like that and say "look, using this browser is like drinking something that could kill you"? They would either question your intelligence or punch you for the insult to theirs. When IE6 causes machines to burst into flames, you could compare it to 9 year old milk.

The major problem with using IE6 is not it's standard compliancy or anything like that. It's that it's an unsupported browser. Microsoft has ended support, and hence will no longer release security fixes, patches for it.

It's in your, Microsoft's, and other people's best interests that you upgrade to a supported browser. Therefore is a major security flaw is found and an exploit designed, you will put your computer and other people's computers at risk. Microsoft also benefits when you upgrade since their security rating goes up.

But screws everyone else in the process. Sorry, your right to live in 2003 shouldn't hold back the rest of civilisation. Either get with the programme or stop expecting websites to cater for your old out of date browser because so far the same people who run IE6 are the same people who bemoan the fact when web developers stop supporting IE6.

Companies are just going to have to get with it and update their proprietary software. I know it's expensive, but it has to be done at some point. With MS ending all support for IE6, that some point is now. You can't rely on a dated, unsecure browser forever. 9 years in the tech world is more like a century.

The major problem with using IE6 is not it's standard compliancy or anything like that. It's that it's an unsupported browser. Microsoft has ended support, and hence will no longer release security fixes, patches for it.

It's in your, Microsoft's, and other people's best interests that you upgrade to a supported browser. Therefore is a major security flaw is found and an exploit designed, you will put your computer and other people's computers at risk. Microsoft also benefits when you upgrade since their security rating goes up.

Right, so how is any of that like drinking poisonous milk?

I know all about the woes of IE6, mate. Before I moved to Australia I used to host a television computing show every week and a radio computing show every weekend where I probably swayed more people than anybody here away from IE6 and IE in general.

And I can assure you that if I started telling them using IE could make them blind or give them hairy palms, instead of educating them with facts like adults, I'd retain about as much credibility towards the end of my run as Glenn Beck has right now.

But screws everyone else in the process. Sorry, your right to live in 2003 shouldn't hold back the rest of civilisation. Either get with the programme or stop expecting websites to cater for your old out of date browser because so far the same people who run IE6 are the same people who bemoan the fact when web developers stop supporting IE6.

It screws everyone else only because web developers choose to continue supporting IE6. That's why IE6 users hold off upgrades; because IE6 still works. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it.

IE6 users aren't hurting you in any way. It's the web developers that you need to take your moaning to.

I dont, I dont expect anything from web developers.

"You wouldn't drink nine-year-old milk, so why use a nine-year-old browser?"

Sethos, where are you? :laugh:

That wouldn't have been a problem if Microsoft themselves hadn't pushed developers to use their non-standard crap in IE6 that no longer worked in later browsers. They have no one but themselves to blame there.

Unfortunately, we all suffer from it.

darn, I thought the headline was going to read...

"Microsoft Reminds You IE6 Is From 2001 and FF4 Is From 2010".

I don't hate IE - I just haven't used it since 5.0

It screws everyone else only because web developers choose to continue supporting IE6. That's why IE6 users hold off upgrades; because IE6 still works. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it.

IE6 users aren't hurting you in any way. It's the web developers that you need to take your moaning to.

Agreed. On websites I create, I tell clients that I only support IE7 and up and put a warning message on the site for IE6 users urging them to upgrade.

Did someone mention old dairy products?

Yes, please go install Internet Explorer 6 and tell us if you survive the next morning. Apparently IE6 = 9 year old milk.

I work for the Canadian government. All of our machines are Core 2 Duos that were preloaded with Vista and replaced with XP lol, and yes, they ALL run IE6.

Our information management systems are so integrated into XP, it's going to cost a lot of money to upgrade the entire country's systems.

I work for the Canadian government. All of our machines are Core 2 Duos that were preloaded with Vista and replaced with XP lol, and yes, they ALL run IE6.

Our information management systems are so integrated into XP, it's going to cost a lot of money to upgrade the entire country's systems.

Dude the canadian government's IT departments and officials are still stuck in the year 2000s.... Our internet is going to crap, still all stuck with IE6.... heck, they probably still have RealPlayer installed....

So according to Microsoft's own ad campaign Internet Explorer 6 expired the same date it was released? :laugh:

oldmilk.jpg

LOL, good catch.

that sucks :x