APC Overload with no load

Hi,

I have an APC RS-800 UPS. Since this morning I'm having trouble with the overload alarm. I disconnected all my hardware from it and it's still signaling an overload error.

There's a way to reset it and resolve the issue or must I call the APC official support? The UPS's still under the 2 years warrant period.

Thanks.

Try removing the battery from the UPS for 5 mins or so, and then reconnect the battery and all the plugs. See if that helps! Also if you need it: here is your manual

Try removing the battery from the UPS for 5 mins or so, and then reconnect the battery and all the plugs. See if that helps! Also if you need it: here is your manual

Thanks, I just tried this but when I reconnected the UPS it still went berserk with the overloading alarm.

The manual says that, to resolve the issue, i have to "Move one or more equipment power plugs from Battery Backup

outlets to Surge Only outlets." but obviously it's not the solution here since I have put no load on it.

Well, I guess you will have to call them and see what they recommend that you do then. Just a thought, but have you tried moving the UPS to a different plug in the house?

Well, I guess you will have to call them and see what they recommend that you do then. Just a thought, but have you tried moving the UPS to a different plug in the house?

Sure, I tried 3 differents plugs and a couple of cables. I also opened a ticket on the APC assistance, I hope tomorrow morning they'll reply to me. Then yeah, I think I'll call them hoping for a repair. It's a real shame, I hope the service'll live up to the brand. Thanks a lot for your help.

I've seen them act that way if there's a wiring fault in the building. There is a separate indicator light for that, but sometimes it resorts to the Overload instead. Do you have Powerchute installed, and if so, is it telling you how much voltage is actually coming into it? Is the "fault" light lit as well?

I've seen them act that way if there's a wiring fault in the building. There is a separate indicator light for that, but sometimes it resorts to the Overload instead. Do you have Powerchute installed, and if so, is it telling you how much voltage is actually coming into it? Is the "fault" light lit as well?

I've tried to attach the data cable on the UPS and Powerchute is reporting that, as soon as the ups's switched on, it goes on battery mode and it reports an overload. The power absorbed and even the voltage were 0 and I couldn't even start an auto test. I really think something's broken :pinch:

I've tried to attach the data cable on the UPS and Powerchute is reporting that, as soon as the ups's switched on, it goes on battery mode and it reports an overload. The power absorbed and even the voltage were 0 and I couldn't even start an auto test. I really think something's broken :pinch:

Yeah, sounds like it. Good luck with their support. APC products are really, really good--please don't let this one experience sour you on them. Nobody's perfect, but they do get pretty darn close.

Update:

the ticket I opened got a reply this morning, they suggested to disconnect the battery and hotplug it again with the UPS turned on in replace battery mode. This procedure worked but as soon as I turned off and back on the unit it went in overload again.

I won't get discouraged; of course I'm not happy with this problem but when I choose to buy an APC product I believed they were the best company in the UPS market. I trust they have a great customer support too.

Update:

the ticket I opened got a reply this morning, they suggested to disconnect the battery and hotplug it again with the UPS turned on in replace battery mode. This procedure worked but as soon as I turned off and back on the unit it went in overload again.

I won't get discouraged; of course I'm not happy with this problem but when I choose to buy an APC product I believed they were the best company in the UPS market. I trust they have a great customer support too.

Hi Killer_Z,

Sorry to have to break the news to you, but your unit is dead. APC is dragging their heels and wasting your time, they can not and will not offer and suggestions that can fix this problem. The problem relates to the whole Back-UPS series of UPSs. We have hundreds of them deployed and this problems comes back to us every few months with a different batch of units. The Back-UPS RS 900 is very much prone to this problem. They work perfectly for a few months, and even a few years, then out of nowhere all of a sudden it gets an over load error. We tried everything you can imagine, nothing will remove the error. We've tried board level repairs and figured out the board is fried. We've have pretty much every type of Back-UPS come back to us with this problem. If the battery is good, we take them out and scrap the unit. We can usually replace it with a spare unit.

So my suggestion to you? If your battery is good, pull it out and save it. Go and find a used unit locally and buy it. It will cost you a lot less than a new unit and you won't have to buy a new battery. I am sure you will get goose use out of a new unit.

What's the problem? The problem is across the whole series of units. It's a manufacturing defect that APC doesn't want to talk about nor do they have any interest in fixing it. It just happens, and they're hoping you'll throw the unit out and buy a new one. Some people make the mistake of buying a new battery and then being stuck with it and unable to return it.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have the best product on the market, we only use APC's across hundreds of offices, but, that particular series is plagued.

• sc302 locked this topic