Linux Mint 9

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16 Phenom II

Phenom II

Neowin Junkie

• 4,808 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 15:58

The difference is in selection of a few apps.

Ah ok thanks

#17 Negi

Negi

Neowinian

• 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:08

Say what?

Before I call our your post for the B.S. that it appears to be, I will ask you to tell me what package in the Ubuntu repos is "years" behind. What package has been updated two years ago, but still has an older version in the Ubuntu repos?

If you're using an LTS release (like Hardy, which is supported until 2011), this can be the case. Example: the Hardy repos still offer Firefox 3 and OpenOffice 2, if I'm not mistaken.

Would that count?

agree completely..................still they find excuses to release late....................

Not exactly. I've noticed plenty of of bugs in Ubuntu that were mysteriously absent in the equivalent Mint release. On Ubuntu I had to hand-edit multiple .deb and .ppd files from other models for my sister's printer to work, on Mint it was 2 .deb files, click and go. No keyboard/touchpad input in Ubuntu on my AMD machine after waking up from hibernate, no such problem in Mint. I schedule nightly cronjobs for system updates during off-peak bandwidth hours, and some time ago I woke up to find that Ubuntu wouldn't boot. Running gparted from my liveusb reported my Ubuntu installation as Debian Lenny, one of the most incredulous "wtf?!" moments I've had to date using Linux. Mint has yet to pull off anything like that.

The green paintjob and extra apps might be the most visible difference from Ubuntu, but somehow I highly doubt that's all that's going on.

#18 keysteele

keysteele

Neowinian

• 276 posts
  • Phone: BB Z30 on 10.3.1

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:35

If you already have Mint RC installed do you really have to do anything?

#19 TDT

TDT

Hey yo!

• 1,290 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:37

Does this work with Wubi? Posted Image

#20 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

• 44,440 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:40

Seems to be that it comes with a lot of multimedia features/codecs built-in where Ubuntu has you download them at first need. So I suppose it's a bit more 'ready to go' out of the box than Ubuntu. It also sticks to a more comfortable feel than some bizarre need to try things out of left field like Canonical.

/though your average purist would have you think any distribution of Linux trying to be desktop-ready and grandma-friendly is 'bloated'
//up hill, both ways! get off my lawn!

See, my problem with 'ready to go' is that it is obsolete the day after you burn your CD/DVD. I'd rather use a minimal install of Debian and set my repositories to unstable/experimental and then download the current build of whatever applications that I choose. I could use that same Debian mini-CD next year and it would work just about as well as a starting point.

Debian set to use unstable binaries never really gets obsolete. Unless you b0rk your entire system there's no need for an upgrade CD. You just continually update as you go.

#21 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,314 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:46

Mint includes the Wubi-derived Mint4Win, which, like Wubi, allows a within-Windows install. (Yes; I've used it. Yes; it supports Windows 7, including the x64 versions. Yes; like Wubi, it even supports being run from virtual drives, including VirtualCloneDrive.)

In terms of long-term Linux distributions, I'm still torn between Kubuntu 10.04 and openSuSE (now at 11.3 M6). The issue boils down to a stable/useful KDE 4.4.x desktop.

#22 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:47

Well, I can't access their site, seems to be down atm, but I know they used to have mint4win, which is their name for wubi, but it wasn't released with Mint 8 due to some problems. Check on the site if you can.

#23 LiquidSolstice

LiquidSolstice

Neowinian Senior

• 4,801 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:06

It does work with Wubi, but from what I checked, it doesn't work with some of the Community editions (xfce)

#24 Pallab

Pallab

Neowinian

• 1,419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:28

Yes. I can confirm that Mint4Win is back in v9.

#25 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

• 855 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 19:41

Linux Mint 9 Isadora looks like it is released.

Here are the servers to download:
http://ftp.heanet.ie...t.com/stable/9/

#26 Phenom II

Phenom II

Neowin Junkie

• 4,808 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 20:35

I think there is already a thread for this, but thanks :)

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,246 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 May 2010 - 20:41

Yeah linux mint is pretty awesome.

With the Ubuntu install I just overwrote I had some issues during install since they didn't bother to include my wlan drivers so I had to hook it up with a cable to grab the driver.

With linux mint they likewise didn't think it wise to include the wlan drivers. so I had to hook it up with a network cable... which didn't connect to the network... WTF! brilliant, break basic networking.
And they still don't have a boot menu editor during install.

And why did they include the annoying notification from ubuntu. Who thought it was a good idea with notification that dissapear when you move the mouse over them so you can't click them away.

#28 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• 24,503 posts
  • Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:07

If you're using an LTS release (like Hardy, which is supported until 2011), this can be the case. Example: the Hardy repos still offer Firefox 3 and OpenOffice 2, if I'm not mistaken.

Would that count?

That is actually a pretty good example. ;) For those choosing to stay with a more stable 'Long Term Support', they put themselves (voluntarily, I might add) into the same situation that people who choose to stick with XP over Windows 7, just because they prefer the stable 'tried and true' software.

However, to claim that *buntu leaves packages unupdated is clearly not true, when you uncheck "LTS" the more current packages are there.

#29 Negi

Negi

Neowinian

• 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:23

However, to claim that *buntu leaves packages unupdated is clearly not true, when you uncheck "LTS" the more current packages are there.

Except that those "more current" packages are often months behind the most current versions as well.

That so many PPAs exist for so many packages should be a clue of that.

#30 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

• 855 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:32

Just got it downloaded. Now to decide which hard drive to put it on.