Proper Modern Turn Based RPG for PC?

Are there any Proper Turn Based RPG games for PC, such as the Final Fantasy style fighting systems (that sort of turn based) I have been looking around and I have found a few games that came out years ago, However I was not sure if there have been any games like that that have come out in the last few years or not. Im looking for something that is rather recent. Any suggestions.

Westnoth is NOT recent.

I think you've only got The Last Remnant.

Note: The 360 one was universally panned, but the PC version got completely opposite reviews. Good reviews, good performance.

It's a proper turn-based Japanese RPG game, but the only problem with it is that it kinda plays itself - you basically enter a general attack style and the game will do the rest. You just sit there and wait for your turn. It has a lot in common with Final Fantasy XIII.

Already have that one and Was not a Fan was not sure if there were any others being that it is a dying game format for PC

Hmm.. I think if Square Enix lead the way this genre could be revived.. perhaps with a good PC port for a recent FF game.

Square Enix and good PC port? Don't make me laugh sir.

Square Enix and good PC port? Don't make me laugh sir.

What was wrong with the The Last Remnant port? Or wasn't it ported from the XBOX360 by Square Enix?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI and The Last Remnant as others have suggested. Consoles have a huge library of turn based action games, such as Valkyrie Chronicles and the latest Final Fantasy game.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age: Origins? These are kinda one of those games where the developers try to hide the turn based under some fancy animations and try and pass it off as an action RPG.

[Rant] I don't like turn based games so it ****es me off that I will never complete Knights of the Old Republic due to excessive boredom. Why can't every Star Wars game with Jedi play like Academy or a Star Wars shooter play like Republic Commando??? [/Rant]

Are there any Proper Turn Based RPG games for PC, such as the Final Fantasy style fighting systems (that sort of turn based) I have been looking around and I have found a few games that came out years ago, However I was not sure if there have been any games like that that have come out in the last few years or not. Im looking for something that is rather recent. Any suggestions.

Westnoth is NOT recent.

You didn't mention if it has to be single- or multi-player, if you want to try a mutli-player one, it's free-to-play with a cashshop, check out Atlantica Online (nDoors) & Atlantica Online (ijji). There are two hosts, just don't know which host would be the one you'd want if you check out the game.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age: Origins? These are kinda one of those games where the developers try to hide the turn based under some fancy animations and try and pass it off as an action RPG.

[Rant] I don't like turn based games so it ****es me off that I will never complete Knights of the Old Republic due to excessive boredom. Why can't every Star Wars game with Jedi play like Academy or a Star Wars shooter play like Republic Commando??? [/Rant]

You do know, that in ST:KotOR & DA:O you can turn off the turn-based mechanics, and then it is an action rpg.

What was wrong with the The Last Remnant port? Or wasn't it ported from the XBOX360 by Square Enix?

All SE PC ports are simply awful. They don't even try to improve anything or make it playable friendly for PC users. Last Remnant runs like **** for what it is and the mouse control is awful. The same is true for FF11.

Their PC ports are always CPU bottlenecked because they don't utilize the graphics card properly.

All SE PC ports are simply awful. They don't even try to improve anything or make it playable friendly for PC users. Last Remnant runs like **** for what it is and the mouse control is awful. The same is true for FF11.

Their PC ports are always CPU bottlenecked because they don't utilize the graphics card properly.

The Last Remnant uses the Unreal (3?) engine and runs really well. FFXI.... well that one was just bad. FFXIV should be better. As for the controls, game pads are the way to go. The interfaces are old and designed for controlers and not mouse + keyboard. I would assume most fans of console style RPGs would have one for their PCs.

Another vote here for Last Remnant. I had no issues with performance (even on a two year old pc) with everything maxed and the controls were quite well thought IMO. It was very easy to pick up and play although I thought the storyline was a little slow.

Dragon Age is about the only other game I can think of recently that's turn based. However as much as I thought I would like it I found the storyline to be awful. Action wise it was ok but the dialogue was yawncity.

Dragon Age isn't any more turn-based than Baldur's Gate was, that is, all combat appears real-time although each character has a fixed number of attacks/spells per round, and the round is individual. So it's a very behind-the-scenes approach, on the surface it's exactly like any other real-time rpg.

Dragon Age is about the only other game I can think of recently that's turn based. However as much as I thought I would like it I found the storyline to be awful. Action wise it was ok but the dialogue was yawncity.

See post number 12.

Dragon Age isn't any more turn-based than Baldur's Gate was, that is, all combat appears real-time although each character has a fixed number of attacks/spells per round, and the round is individual. So it's a very behind-the-scenes approach, on the surface it's exactly like any other real-time rpg.

You can turn off the turn-based mechanics, which then turns it into a regular action RPG.

So far there have been a few good ideas, however I have noticed people are forgeting one major thing i am looking for which is the standard Final Fantasy "Style" Fighting System. which is absent in a lot of these games, however they are good ideas, Also I have played Last Remnant and was not impressed.

So far there have been a few good ideas, however I have noticed people are forgeting one major thing i am looking for which is the standard Final Fantasy "Style" Fighting System. which is absent in a lot of these games, however they are good ideas, Also I have played Last Remnant and was not impressed.

Sadly, there aren't really any turn-based RPGs on the PC except for all the Square ports.

If you want turn based, fire up an emulator.

yeah they just do not make RPG games like they used to :p

You can buy FF7 and 8 for PC, if you're lucky.