Proper Modern Turn Based RPG for PC?

• 7 months later...

Dragon Age, sort of.

There are a ton of furn based RPG's for the PC.

Spiderweb software do massive turn based RPG's Avernum 6 looks a little dated now - but there are newer games from the same developer

The Eschalon series is quite different - but again excellent value for money

In fact Indie - there are literally hundreds of turn based RPG's.

These games are pure turn based once combat begins.

Mainstream try games like hired guns or Silent Storm - movement is "free" until combat at which point it becomes turn based.

My only irk with the old Xcom games was the very slow movement just getting up the screen or whatever.

For more strategic with a bit of roleplay then the Kings Bounty series or Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - in both you control and level up a main character and recruit an army to fight along side you.

Then there's the UFO AfterXXXXX series (I think Afterlight was the last) The first and third seemed pretty good, the second was a little naff.

I have a DS for great turn based games like Chrono Trigger and DQ9 and FFIV, Fire Emblem and others - all excellent. Fire Emblem has more strategy in it than the others. in the SE games you don't move or position your pieces once combat begins - -you just choose the attack type.

Last Remnant is rubbish on all formats - like FFXIII and FFXIV. Ever since Square became Square Enix the quality in terms of gameplay and depth has been on a sharp decline.

Turn based games Western style are made my the bucket load by indie developers. The game mechanics are great - the graphics often leaving a little to be desired (sometimes quite a bit)

If gameplay is your thing then I estimate more decent turn based RPG and strategy games came out in 2010 than ever. They are for the most part indie games however (some browser based as well)

The you could always download the entire Baldurs Gate one AND two (with all expansions - though pausable rather than true turn based) saga for $15 and get the "tutu" mod to play it in higher def on modern computers.

There are so many good turn based RPG's it hurts.

If you like turn based in general (strategic.tactical as well as RPG) check out matrix games for a ton of them.

Scritty

All SE PC ports are simply awful. They don't even try to improve anything or make it playable friendly for PC users. Last Remnant runs like **** for what it is and the mouse control is awful. The same is true for FF11.

Their PC ports are always CPU bottlenecked because they don't utilize the graphics card properly.

Just Cause 2 is a good pc port, although completely irrelevant to the topic.

And wow just noticed this thread is quite old revived by a 1 post wonder. Go me. :rofl: