Photo

[UK] Can I physically force someone out of my house?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 06 June 2010 - 15:45

I'm curious - where does UK law stand on physically pushing people out of your house if they don't leave? In this case, a housemate brings round someone I despise - can I force them to leave?

#2 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,293 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 15:49

if someone paying the bills invites them in i don't think you should ethically. legally iunnoooo

#3 Panacik

Panacik

Little man

• 10,665 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:25

In this case it would only likely be legal if that person started touching you personal things. Ultimatly, if your room mate wants them in the house, there is little you can do afaik.

#4 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:33

In this case it would only likely be legal if that person started touching you personal things. Ultimatly, if your room mate wants them in the house, there is little you can do afaik.

So frustrating. I am practically kept to my bedroom as I obviously don't want to see him/her when he/she's downstairs, and my friend/housemate knows how much I hate him/her. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Cheers for the advice, guys (Y)

#5 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,291 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:38

you could always make them want to leave... start cooking something really horrible smelling, or turn up music/TV and have it on something terrible...

#6 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:38

you could always make them want to leave... start cooking something really horrible smelling, or turn up music/TV and have it on something terrible...

I don't want to be childish about it.

#7 XionUK

XionUK

Neowinian

• 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:40

It depends - if the house is owned by you and your housemate pays only for the room, then you can deny him access to your property - your housemate pays for access for himself, not his friends. If you rent and your the only one on the tenancy agreement, then I believe the above applies, but if your both on the tenancy agreement, then you don't have a say.

As for removing him, you ask him to leave and if he refuses you call the police and ask them to remove him from your property.

#8 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

• 3,123 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:41

Well, you could perhaps just ask your room-mate nicely .. or deliver a ultimatum?

#9 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:47

Well, you could perhaps just ask your room-mate nicely .. or deliver a ultimatum?

What, either the person I dislike ("he/she") leaves or I do? My housemate will say I'm being silly and/or childish, and due to that, will just say I should leave. I'd rather be civilised and tell him that he's a mate and he knows how much trouble he/she is causing me and as a mate, I can only ask him to stop inviting he/she round (since it's practically making me not use my own living room). If my housemate declines, I can't do much and since our friendship obviously doesn't mean much, I may as well just leave.

#10 Phenom II

Phenom II

Neowin Junkie

• 4,808 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:49

You ask them to leave, if they refuse you call the police and they remove them

It is your house, they have no rights in there.

Problems occur when it is someone you share the tenacy with

EDIT - just read someone you actually live with invited them, well first off would be to talk to that person, but I would expect if someone they are bringing round is causing you trouble, it would be in breach of their tenancy agreement, no matter how harsh that is, after all the people who live there have to feel safe in their own home

#11 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:50

You ask them to leave, if they refuse you call the police and they remove them

It is your house, they have no rights in there.

Problems occur when it is someone you share the tenacy with

We pay rent to a landlord, so I'm not sure I can ask the police to remove my housemates friend. We don't own the house, we have the same (renting) rights as each other.

#12 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:52

I'm curious - where does UK law stand on physically pushing people out of your house if they don't leave? In this case, a housemate brings round someone I despise - can I force them to leave?

find someone they don't like and bring them round then have the two people you both don't like fight it out.

#13 XionUK

XionUK

Neowinian

• 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 18:59

We pay rent to a landlord, so I'm not sure I can ask the police to remove my housemates friend. We don't own the house, we have the same (renting) rights as each other.

You have to grin and bare it then. Talk to your friend and let them know how you feel, they might not realised just how much you dislike this person, but if they tell you to grow up, then you don't have a say really.

The only way it will be different is if they become threatening or aggressive towards you.

#14 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:00

You have to grin and bare it then. Talk to your friend and let them know how you feel, they might not realised just how much you dislike this person, but if they tell you to grow up, then you don't have a say really.

The only way it will be different is if they become threatening or aggressive towards you.

It's just frustrating that I can't use the living room, kitchen etc. in my own house. I really hate this person, I can't be in there.

#15 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

• 3,123 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 19:02

What, either the person I dislike ("he/she") leaves or I do? My housemate will say I'm being silly and/or childish, and due to that, will just say I should leave. I'd rather be civilised and tell him that he's a mate and he knows how much trouble he/she is causing me and as a mate, I can only ask him to stop inviting he/she round (since it's practically making me not use my own living room). If my housemate declines, I can't do much and since our friendship obviously doesn't mean much, I may as well just leave.

Just sit them down and explain the situation to your room-mate, tell her to talk to this annoying person and perhaps it will solve itself from there.