[iOS 4] Enable Unsupported Features on iPhone 3G/iPod touch 2G

IMG_0001.png

Multitasking, home screen wallpaper, and battery percentage are all features in iOS 4 that won't be on the iPhone 3G, and the iPod Touch 2G. BUT, a simple tweak will allow all of these to run on said devices. Instructions after the jump.

AT THIS MOMENT, only the iPhone 3G (and 3GS via PwnageTool) can be jailbroken. Follow our guide here on jailbreaking the iPhone 3G running iOS 4. The iPod Touch 2G isn't jailbroken [yet].

PLEASE NOTE that this guide is NOT for absolute newbies. You're expected to know what a plist file is and what's usually in them. Baby questions will be ignored.

Once jailbroken, install iFile in Cydia. Open iFile, and navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/, and open N82AP.plist. Add multitasking, homescreen-wallpaper, gas-gauge-battery, and set them to true. Save it, and restart your device (you can also respring if you have SysInfoPlus installed, as "Respring" doesn't work properly, and neither does SBSettings).

Multitasking can be accessed by double-clicking the Home button. The home screen wallpaper is already active. To enable the battery percentage, open Settings>General>Usage, and turn Battery Percentage on.

Source: Gumball Tech

I knew this would happen shortly after the GM was released, but didn't think it would be so soon.

I've tried this on my iPhone 3G but I used PhoneView to access the file system instead of iFile on Cydia. Multitasking on the 3G is err, interesting. Think I might disable it after I've had a play. One annoying thing is that apps seem to multitask by default whether you want them to or not. :unsure:

LOL I still have an iPhone 2G... will we be able to get this working on there? if it works on 3G it should, i'm sure they are almost the same spec?

I can understand multi-tasking not being enabled on the 3G, since it really does tax the hardware. But why something as basic as a home screen wallpaper and battery percentage indicator not being on the 3G by default is really, really stupid. I know Apple wants to encourage its user base to upgrade their phones, but is artificially locking out features on the 3G really going to encourage that many users to upgrade?

I can understand multi-tasking not being enabled on the 3G, since it really does tax the hardware. But why something as basic as a home screen wallpaper and battery percentage indicator not being on the 3G by default is really, really stupid. I know Apple wants to encourage its user base to upgrade their phones, but is artificially locking out features on the 3G really going to encourage that many users to upgrade?

Well I've disable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper. Multitasking makes the system sluggish and drains the battery quickly. I had just the homescreen wallpaper enabled but when closing an app and it zooms back then the homescreen icons fly back on the screen everything is jerky and unresponsive. Plus I couldn't find a way to just have a blank homescreen like before. You have to have a wallpaper. Unless I missed a setting somewhere. :blink:

One annoying thing is that apps seem to multitask by default whether you want them to or not. :unsure:

IIRC they don't exactly multitask, more "freeze" to a saved state unless they use the multitasking APIs. I could be wrong, but apparently that's why you don't need to task manage.

I could understand blocking a feature off it it required hardware support or ran like crap, but blocking off the ability to set wallpapers?

It's not like showing a static picture is going to slow it down.

My 3G with iOS4 no need multitasking to put the system sluggish and some apps (3th apps) simply crash but it's normal because must(need) compiled to iOS4.

But i will try this and tell you how it worked.

Off corse not and it's only a few K less but... Wallpaper in home screen are big feature for iPhone :rofl:

LOL I still have an iPhone 2G... will we be able to get this working on there? if it works on 3G it should, i'm sure they are almost the same spec?

Something i would like to know too i canna afford a fancy new phone =(

I could understand blocking a feature off it it required hardware support or ran like crap, but blocking off the ability to set wallpapers?

Did you not read my comment above, it does slow the UI down.

I don't own an iPhone so I'm going out on a limb here, but I assume the wallpaper they are allowing is dynamic wallpapers like on recent Android and Windows Mobile phones. Those dynamic wallpapers can be very taxing on legacy hardware.

Did you not read my comment above, it does slow the UI down.

That'd just be an example of bad programming if that is true.... that's a very simple thing that even windows 3.1 could do with no system slow downs....

IIRC they don't exactly multitask, more "freeze" to a saved state unless they use the multitasking APIs. I could be wrong, but apparently that's why you don't need to task manage.

There are only a handful of apps that do multitask, it's not the "everything multitasks" like WinMo. I think the programs are music apps for music in the background, GPS apps, and other I can't remember. There was a slide about it when they released it.

That'd just be an example of bad programming if that is true.... that's a very simple thing that even windows 3.1 could do with no system slow downs....

I think the slow down is caused by the fact the OS generates nice alpha-blended shadows on-the-fly to the homescreen icons and text as well as reflections in the 3D Dock when you have homescreen wallpaper active. This needs the hardware of the 3GS and above to work efficiently.

Still doesn't explain the battery gauge block though.

That's true. But that's something I turn off anyway. Don't see the need when a battery icon is right next to it.

Shadows and reflections are quite simple to render, and the iPhone has a capable graphics chip in it (drawing an image twice = simple)

I watched a video from youtube that showed a kid using iPhone 3G with iOS and multi-tasking enabled, said it wasn't really sluggish and the video showed it. Maybe it's better to start from scratch with your install iOS instead of "Upgrade"? Or does it just wipe your device anyways?

Another thing too is, on Apple's site it shows that iOS has 5x zoom for the camera app, does this only apply for iPhone 4 and 3GS?

Side note, battery meter on my iPhone 3G works just fine with JB, still don't know why they can't just enable it in the new OS..

Another thing too is, on Apple's site it shows that iOS has 5x zoom for the camera app, does this only apply for iPhone 4 and 3GS?

I don't have an iPhone 3G to test it on, but I know that on the iPhone 3GS it's just a digital zoom, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I am lost as to why it wouldn't show battery percentage on a 3G?

Same here, I have it enabled and have since OS 3. I still get 5+ hrs of battery life. :blink:

I tested it and seems OK.

My iPhone 3G before this hack are sluggish but i need to do a clean install (no backup after restore firmware).

Overall seems almost identical to no multitasking. Will see battery life!