• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Shayla

Shayla

This Account Has Been Hacked and Banned by Neowin

• 1,818 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:52

Posted Image

This is classic. Joe Wilcox reports on BetaNews that Microsoft is opening its new retail store in San Diego on June 24. Which just happens to be the very same day as Apple's iPhone 4 launch. And oh, by the way, there's an Apple store just four shops away in the same shopping mall, which means that the crowds will be mingling.

Somebody alert mall security, because this is bound to get ugly. Or at least entertaining.

"Is it coincidence -- timing of the Microsoft Store San Diego's grand opening and iPhone 4's launch?" Wilcox writes? "Oh I don't think so. If someone at one of the companies didn't manipulate the dates, surely some cosmic force did. C'mon, there's polarized competition between these companies, and it's even more heated among the fans."

Posted Image
(Approximate locations -- Apple Store in "E" and Microsoft Store in "D")

Microsoft has two existing stores, in Arizona and California, and it's adding at least three more, in San Diego, Denver and at Bellevue Square in the Seattle region. Kevin Turner, Microsoft's chief operating officer, said at the outset of the initiative that the company would make a point of opening in some locations right next door to Apple stores.

Source : TechFlash

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:15

I think someone is hoping something will happen. I doubt it will. Some of us use and like products from both companies. This doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

#3 Hot

Hot

Eat Me

• 1,340 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:17

What about a Linux store? I'm sure that mall has a basement...

#4 ColeBee

ColeBee

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:19

Was just at Fashion Valley (the mall its opening in) about a week about and saw that big MS store space reserved... Same exact thought came across my mind :p

Also stopped by the Apple Store, there are Geniuses everywhere! There is one for every 2 customers.

#5 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

• 3,802 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:22

Was just at Fashion Valley (the mall its opening in) about a week about and saw that big MS store space reserved... Same exact thought came across my mind :p

Also stopped by the Apple Store, there are Geniuses everywhere! There is one for every 2 customers.

I used to live in Orange County.

If I didn't live in Montana, now, I would be there just to observe.

#6 tablet_user

tablet_user

Neowinian

• 1,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:28

what linux products lol Linux is only around because its free. If there was a store charging for anything linux the userbase would hit 0% lol

#7 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,911 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:29

Surprisingly, Apple was already inside that mall, but once they heard Microsoft is coming, they leased a much larger site, right beside Microsoft lol. I'd like to see which store brings in more traffic.

#8 random_n

random_n

Neowinian

• 974 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:30

:rofl:

#9 Hot

Hot

Eat Me

• 1,340 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:30

what linux products lol Linux is only around because its free. If there was a store charging for anything linux the userbase would hit 0% lol

You're wrong... 20 1 0 is the year of the Linux.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:42

Actually, people want to walk into a store and see things work in person. Why do you think Microsoft is copying Apple's idea and opening stores? A Linux store would be extremely popular. I know people who have heard of Linux and would like to see it in action, but they are not tech enough to get it for themselves.

#11 TemperingPick

TemperingPick

Neowinian

• 347 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:48

You're wrong... 20 1 0 is the year of the Linux.

I thought 2009 was year of the Linux?

#12 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:54

My prediction: Both stores open up and operate normally with no unusual events, minus random Youtube pranksters who attempt to mess with both stores.

#13 P!P

P!P

73695 of.. a lot

• 2,922 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:04

My prediction: Both stores open up and operate normally with no unusual events, minus random Youtube pranksters who attempt to mess with both stores.

My prediction: It will be the center of the beginning of the end of the world, then at the last second, a Linux penguin comes in and save today *begins writing movie*

#14 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:30

My prediction: It will be the center of the beginning of the end of the world, then at the last second, a Linux penguin comes in and save today *begins writing movie*

But the lack of thumbs on the penguin make its efforts futile.

#15 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

• 2,198 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:43

What do you expect? People starting fights over both companies inside the mall?
I think that nothing will happen...