Crackdown 2 Discussion

I think Just Cause 2 is the best sandbox game that exists - I prefer it to GTA4 and Saints Row 2.

I think Just Cause 2 is the best sandbox game that exists - I prefer it to GTA4 and Saints Row 2.

This.

Just Cause 1 and 2 are two of the funnest sandbox games ever. In Just Cause 2, you'd almost never need a car to get around, thanks to the grappling hook! :D

For me, Just Cause 2 comes first, then Crackdown 1, but not 2.

I played the demo a few days ago, and it just feels like a slightly worse version of Crackdown 1. The auto-aim system is terrible, the soundtrack isn't as good, and what's with the Freaks?

I'll probably still get the game, but only when it goes really cheap (sub-?20).

I played the demo a few days ago, and it just feels like a slightly worse version of Crackdown 1. The auto-aim system is terrible, the soundtrack isn't as good, and what's with the Freaks?

I'll probably still get the game, but only when it goes really cheap (sub-?20).

That's what I was thinking as well, I'm also not thrilled that they are talking about DLC already, they should have put more content into the retail release instead of just pushing out a barely changed version of the first and switching focus to paid content.

and what's with the Freaks?

Why do you have to ask is the better question. They were in the first game, and the second game is set ten years after the first.

Why do you have to ask is the better question. They were in the first game, and the second game is set ten years after the first.

:blink: Were they? I don't remember that. I remember the three gangs: Los Muertos, Volk, and Shai-Gen, but I don't remember seeing any Freaks or any zombie monsters in the first one.

Well, if they were in the frist game, then they were obviously not as annoying as they are in this one. They're like the Flood in the Halo games.

:blink: Were they? I don't remember that. I remember the three gangs: Los Muertos, Volk, and Shai-Gen, but I don't remember seeing any Freaks or any zombie monsters in the first one.

Well, if they were in the frist game, then they were obviously not as annoying as they are in this one. They're like the Flood in the Halo games.

The freaks were in the Shai Gen research facility where one of the gang leaders is located. Essentially, breaking in and killing the leader set the freaks loose and that is why they are present in crackdown 2.

And soon after that the program which created the original Crackdown agent was disabled by disgruntled Agency personnel, as I understand it. It was just reinstated at the beginning of 2.

I get my copy today yay! :)

I'll probably grab this game used.

Probably for the best. I'm starting to understand why all the reviews so far have said basically the same thing.

I can say one thing for it...you need to play some music while playing it cause you spend a lot more time out of the car. :p

I am definately enjoying it though.

I can say one thing for it...you need to play some music while playing it cause you spend a lot more time out of the car. :p

I don't remember using cars in the first one at all, in the beginning I was too busy taking the rooftops to get the Agility Orbs along the way and once I had collected most of them I was fast enough on foot that I didn't need one.

Beat the game today, and was nicely surprised with another good cinematic closing to the game. It also leaves the story open for another game in the series down the road. Just makes me wish even more that Ruffian Games had more time to do this game. The last two freak lairs I did were pretty challenging on foot. I discovered you can fit a chopper into the lairs which make them infintely easier. The huge brute freaks have a so much HP its rediculous and fun at the same time.

Had some good co-op moments as well. I was helping a friend clear out his last 2 freak lairs as well and he called in a beacon that came down right on top of my chopper and completely destroyed it and almost killed me.

I also used a SUV as a slingshot with the MAG grenades to kill freaks which is quite amusing. I tried to see if MAG grenades would stick to people but sadly no. I would love to be able to attach a co-op partner to a chopper with MAG grenades and then let him fire away at enemies below with whatever weapons he has equiped.

Also finished finding all the agility orbs. Got a little over half of the renegade agility, and about half of the hidden orbs as well. Driving renegade and co-op orbs I have not really tried that hard to get yet. In the first crackdown I never got all the orbs, close but not quite there (7 agility left and 1 hidden). I will probably end up replaying it after I am done causing carnage in CD2.

Have not done any of the races or stunt markers either yet. I also have freak breaches to clear, audio logs ot collect, and cars to store. Really this game has a lot to do as I have already investing about 15 hours of playtime. Most of it isnt really story related though and I can see how that might turn some people off. My second opinion of this game I would still give it a 7. I enjoy the supercop aspect and the free roaming of pacific city. I also like the freaks (i call them zombies just for fun), although at times they can be somewhat frustrating with some of the more deadly freak variations can put you in a bad spot where you can not do anything. I really cant justify anything higher even though I want to. The game is massively fun, but it just does not advance the series enough to warrant anything better.

So I finally get a chance to check it out today, and I have to say it pretty much feels exactly the same as Crackdown 1 to me, except there is way more going on as far as enemies, so does get a tad annoying when all you want to do is Orb hunt. But overall it just seems like they took everything from the first one, and added more of it and made there even more things to do and just refined all aspects from the first one. The securing of the beacons in the Freaks lair is a little stupid TBH, and considering that is how one progresses the main story line, I think they kind of definitely could have done better on that aspect. I have already done two of them and it seems like that aspect is going to get old quick, but honestly my favorite things by far from the first game was orb collecting, rooftop races, and just car races, so all 3 of those are back, so I am, at least for now, definitely into it.

So whomever has it, if you see me online or vice-versa, feel free to drop on for some CoOp, when I set it up I leave it as Friends only. But I can without a doubt see that being insanely fun, especially with 4 people.

I am just renting it, and although I do have the option to purchase it for $43, think I will just keep it as a rental, but so far so good I would say.

The actual gun play is a tad weak too IMO, but it honestly was not the best in the first game either.

There is without a doubt way more enemies to take on this time around though, so I can see the potential for once I level everything up, it just being good, fun chaos.

Just judging on the fact I am posting this at almost 3am is a testament to how easy it is to just waste time and get "lost" so to speak in this game. I really have been focusing on collecting Orbs, and I think I have 154 or something like that. Those ones that move definitely can be a bitch, basically I have just gotten lucky with the 5 or so I have collected, I have found the best approach is to just anticipate were they are going to be and jump in front of them, as I have found it near impossible to catch them from behind.

My final thought is it does feel just slightly dated. One the first one came out, it was more or less a launch title, and since the first one's release, there have been a whole lot of other, and better, sandbox type games, but again it is still pretty damn fun, it does just feel like they did not really progress all that much, and considering all the competition in this genre, that is a tad disappointing.

Still though, collecting orbs is the video game equivalent of crack. No doubt about it. :laugh:

Off to bed, way, way past my normal bedtime.

Drown the city already covered this but Im going to post it again with some other tips for Orb hunting:

Press Up on the D-Pad to send out a scan signal on your minimap. It will display any nearby orbs (agility, hidden, online only, renegade agility and renegade driving). It will not show audio logs though.

To get a wider scan on the mini-map press start and then press b to go back to the game. If you look at your mini map right after returning to your game it will have a wider view of the area than normal and will zoom back in almost immediately. After pressing B to return to the game immediately press up on the D-pad to do a scan before the view zooms in.

Also get in a helicopter and ascend to the highest possible altitude. Do your orb scans from that height as you can cover more ground easier. This really helped when I was looking for the last 6 or so agility orbs.

Audio logs:

For audio logs, there are spray painted symbols on buildings which usually means there will be an audio log nearby. Audio logs can be broken down into agency scouts, agency mole, cell leader catalina thorn, PCNN news reporter, or freak watcher. Agency scout audio logs are usually found on the outskirts of tactical locations, usually on rooftops or high vantage points. Agency mole audio logs usually have the agency symbol spray painted on a nearby building. Cell leader audio logs are usually inside of cell strongholds. Freak watcher audio logs are usually near the freak lairs. PCNN news reporter logs can usually be found on street corners or in front of buildings street level.

To me it feels like the gameplay is far more varied than Crackdown, but the personality Crackdowns factions had is just not there at all.

The Cell and the Freaks might as well all be zombies from Left 4 Dead because they are freakin boring.

Still, definately enjoying the game and have barely stopped playing since I got it :)

Am I the only one who thinks that it's sad they could only give a name to 1 of the 5 skills? Cmon really?

Since I don't know if anyone else knows what you're talking about, I'd say yes.

Just wasted a good chunk of time playing co-op with Rob :D

Love collecting orbs :heart:

Up for some more later?

I should be back from the hospital at about 20:30

unless i'm doing something really wrong, this one is a turd. it's too freakin hard. i hate it when they force you to co-op. i'm all over the place, my schedule isn't amenable to co-opping. what the hell am i supposed to do? even on fragile this is too hard, and it doesn't help the thing throws like fifty baddies at you at once to make proceedings slow down noticeably. great job Ruffian.

well i said i may be doing something wrong. otherwise this one really is a let down, a right pain in the posterior.