Can "Incense" harm a computer?

are you burning them inside the computer? if not, not really... except for causing more dust to build up on fan and insides.

haha. no I'm not. far away from the computer.

• Like 1

haha. no I'm not. far away from the computer.

In that case, it should have no affect on the computer.

It would have the same affect as cigerette's would have on a PC. The fans will start to stink after a while. Whenever a client books a computer into me, I can smell cigerette in the power supply.

If it's in the same room, over time you'll get some particle buildup on any moving components (E.g. Fan blades, optical drive trays). Compared to cigarette smoke, it'll be negligible though - burn away!

I thought incest was only possible with your siblings not your pc.....

Oh.. Incense.. sorry

:D

Haha, i was expecting someone to say something along those lines!

If you burn anything close to your computer the residue can get sucked inside. I never thought about it until I went to go fix a friend's computer and noticed that the inside of the case was oily. I then noticed that he was using one of those plug-in air fresheners about two feet away from the computer and the oil smelled like the air freshener.

Hello,

Modern rotating media hard disk drives have a read/write head which "flys" over the hard disk drive platters at a small height?sometimes as low as 3nm. All the hard disk drives that I have seen have an air filter hole on them which allows air pressure to be equalized inside the mechanism with the ambient air pressure.

While the filters are gas-permeable, I have no idea to what size particle they are effective, and it is possible the smoke particulates from incense are fine enough that they could enter the hard disk drive casing and lead to a head crash or other problem with the hard disk drive.

In any case, my recommendation would not be to smoke anything around your computer as it may lead to premature failures.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

Computers have a wonderful ability to pull in all the junk in the air over time, so it certainly wouldn't be good for it. Now as to whether it will actually do damage (other than sticky buildup inside) I don't know. I've seen computers from the homes of smokers with so much tar built up in them it was sickening but they still worked (though I still sent them to the recyclers because of the horrible stench).

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd give my 2 cents. I have a custom build which uses the Antec 900 case. It has two fans in the front that pull in air, a big one on top which I believe pushes out air, the one on the back pushes air out and my side fan I added pulls air. So, when I burn incense (which is at least 3 sticks a day) I can see the smoke get pulled into my computer from either the front fans or the side, whichever the smoke is closest to. My rig was easily a little over a grand soo you can see how I am a bit nervous with smoke going into my machine and such. I use an incense tower which is a little wooden vertical "tower" which the smoke goes out the top and side holes. Over time the incense leaves a sticky oil if you will from the smoke inside the tower. The same thing is happening to my computer I've noticed. However, it seems to be just around the inside of the fans that pull in air. I easily get 2X the dust buildup on my fans and inside my computer in general. Personally I don't think the mother board or any components other than the fans are being effected, but I'm not positive. I would suggest (when your computer is off) WRING OUT a damp cloth and go around the inside rims of the fans and other parts that seem effected every week or so. Or, risk it and buy new fans when it looks like the green guy from Ghostbusters just went through your rig.  Don't be stupid and bring a dripping wet cloth into your tower to clean it, wring it out ALOT so that it is slightly damp. I know some idiot will be like, "dude you told me to get a wet cloth and wipe my fans so I did and it dripped all over my PSU and it won't turn on!". Well, you shouldn't be using a computer if you are that absent minded. Oh, and never have incest without some incense, duh. 

If years of heavy smoker smoke doesn't hurt their computers (and trust me, I've seen what that looks like, gag....) I don't think this would either

In my old job I encountered several smoke damaged iMacs. It causes quite a few issues:

- Smoke sticks to the inside of the screen casing/glass causing blemishes.

- it gets under the LCD itself causing backlight issues.

- it dust gets in the fans and heatsinks, causing overheating (and thus premature failure of components)

- it also gets into other crevices - I've seen ODDs with the laser covered in smoke, issues with SD card readers where the contacts are coated in a later of film, etc.

Plus, there is *nothing* more disgusting than repairing the computer of a smoker.

place incense further away from PC and you should be fine.

Edit: have done so for many years, as long as you do regular maintenance, you should be fine.

• Like 1

Candles also. Some candles that smell also leave trace amounts of soot. The soot will travel the house and eventually get stuck in the fan blades or air filters of your PC and even your central air system for the house.  I have seen it so bad that it caused a ATX power supply to fail from lack of air flow. The client's pc was a mess. All the air vents were filled with soot. At least it was not tobacco smoke.

The worst was when I did work for Circle K. They had these servers in the back that ran everything apparently. One night I get called out for a dead server. It was in the back room behind boxes of clutter. After moving all the boxes myself I see that the server has a nice dusty look to it on the outside. Meanwhile I had to hold back choking from all the agarbathi being burned. Eventually get the server moved out and the case open. Inside was a "sand dune". It looked like years and years of incense smoke had built up enough layers to about hide anything electronic looking. Everything had a rounded off look to it as it was insulated in solid smoke. The stuff was light and airy and sticking to everything. A call from HQ said to put it back like I found it and invoice for my time. A replacement would be sent out.
  • Like 1

Wow, this is from forever ago lol. Nice find... Computers are still alive, might I add.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

give  more details? What has your incense routine been like?

• Like 1