BMW or Mercedes

Really I thought I should haggle a little bit or get something else out of it. He wanted me to turn my car in and give me the key right there, He even lost my car key when one sales associate went to check my car for trade in.

post-30626-12773535744164.jpg

post-30626-12773536658094.jpg

I have owned both recently and I'd say the BMW is more fun to drive, however the Benz is more luxurious, and the current crop of the Mercedes' to me look better.

My Current car is a 2008 C300 Mercedes:

post-9075-12773548976441.jpg

Old car, just before I traded it in was a 2006 325i BMW:

post-9075-12773549060453.jpg

Neo if it's the u.s. BMW 328i starting base invoice price is 30k

Seems like they're trying to low ball you.

Raa if u you think I did something wrong then why would my dealer fix it for me for free and not void my warranty?

You do know that BMW voids warranty if there are evidence of abuse right and you DO KNOW the computer logs your driving habit right?

If you owned the E46 M3 there was a major recall for the 2002 model.

The issue I had was pretty common with new E9x M3 you can look it up in the M3 forums, "engine click/tick" sound. Besides do you think someone who puts out that kind of money not know how to take care of his car? It's interesting how you come to the conclusion that I did something wrong. Do you even know anyone who owns the current generation M3?

Current E9x 3-series I6 engines have VANOS problems, I am not sure about 2010/11 models but as I am aware there are a lot of people with VANOS problem. Look it up.

I was at the dealer about 4 weeks ago and a 335i pulled up and it's engine sounded like a diesel truck but a bit more quiet.

They gave me a 335i '10 as a loaner and the steering wheel makes a weird noise when turned all the way to the left/right.

A number of the symptoms you describe I am aware of, and have experienced first hand. Yet none of them needed to be fixed, a lot of people have said that while they do occur, are not terminal problems, or issues that "need" to be fixed.

I am aware of the M3's logging, and warranty conditions. I'm yet to actually find a person that's had their warranty rejected due to abuse. Probably because any M3 owner doesn't abuse their car, considering the cost of them. And yes, I personally know a number of M3 owners, past and present. Including myself.

Anyway, this is getting off topic, I don't think the O.P. wants an M3 for multiple reasons. If you wish to discuss it more, take it to a PM.

M3 is way out there in $50k range, I'm looking for something around $30k. I posted the estimate the dealer gave me for everyone here who knows the stuff if everthing is accurate or not.

Have you considered an Audi? Newer models have been pretty nice.

Meh, the only Audi's worth getting is the S Line. Then again, you get more car for the money with BWM.

M3 is way out there in $50k range, I'm looking for something around $30k. I posted the estimate the dealer gave me for everyone here who knows the stuff if everthing is accurate or not.

Brand new 328i base runs at 30k invoice.

328i does not come with HID's as standard (option) I think this comes with the tech package

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2011/bmw/3series/101288737/options.html?x=48&y=21&action=1

What you posted doesn't mean much. You need to post the sticker that's on the car so that it shows all the options.

Demand invoice price or below or else you walk out!

It had premium package and maybe sports package too. The advertised price was $38600.00 on the vehicle itself but I don't clearly remember what it said on the installed list. I just looked at the car itself.

I know most of you are not crazy about used cars, but seriously, the E46 M3 is still one amazing Bimmer. If 330hp isn't enough, you can always supercharge it to get in the 400 range.

I know most of you are not crazy about used cars, but seriously, the E46 M3 is still one amazing Bimmer. If 330hp isn't enough, you can always supercharge it to get in the 400 range.

That is why I like the 335, newer and same price used as a m3 and a simple 200-300 software tune gets you to that 400 rwhp range. bmw I would go used provided it still has warranty left where they everything under warranty (even the wipers when they go bad, tires are not included in the everything though). Used is good on some vehicles, like luxury cars.

That is why I like the 335, newer and same price used as a m3 and a simple 200-300 software tune gets you to that 400 rwhp range. bmw I would go used provided it still has warranty left where they everything under warranty (even the wipers when they go bad, tires are not included in the everything though). Used is good on some vehicles, like luxury cars.

The M3 is not in the 400 rwhp range and nor is the 335i with a simple software tune. Perhaps with many more mods you can get close but you will end up spending as much as a new M3.

And you don't get the sexy V8 that comes with the M!

The M3 is not in the 400 rwhp range and nor is the 335i with a simple software tune. Perhaps with many more mods you can get close but you will end up spending as much as a new M3.

And you don't get the sexy V8 that comes with the M!

:/ 13000 dollars got my brother there with a dinan s2 package (of course added on to what he paid for his car, which was around 42000), 300 got one of my friends there with some other small mods. no where near as much as a new m3, not even 1/2 the cost of a new 90,000 m3 (if going used, you can do the math on the dinan with new).

^ $13,000 on a supercharger kit? man that's expensive

that is what 100,000+/yr and being single can do for you. It is not a supercharger kit....much less than a supercharger kit. a dinan s2 package is a tune, suspension mods, exhaust, and intercooler, not even a turbo upgrade (x35 cars are twin turbocharged from the factory, I believe the new x35 cars are going to be single turbo)

http://www.dinancars.com/store/product.php?productid=3950&cat=505&page=1

These cars are severely detuned/choked from the factory. The only benefit to going dinan is that it will keep the bmw warranty (if the dinan dealer that you go to will warranty it, some will some wont and you have to ask prior to going through with it as it is an expensive investment (though cheaper than a m3)). This is how bmw should have made these cars if you ask me.

this was entertaining, at the very least (m3 vs dinan 335)

I can tell you it feels every bit of ~400 rwhp, not 400bhp as it is advertised as. Hopefully he will put it on a dyno soon to see what it actually puts down.

lol since when does a M3 cost 90.000$ Last I checked was around 60k $.

The 13.000 dinan package is no where near 400 rwhp! I haven't been near a 335i from dinan but if dinan advertises 398 bhp then it will probably be around there, I doubt they would "hide" another 150 bhp for whatever marketing reasons.

A new 335i costs like 40k $. That said you need to spend another 13k to get on M3 level regarding power and that doesn't include the M body kit, the CF roof and the high-revving V8 and not even the same interior quality.

It's always cheaper to build it your self and you are not paying the mark up of the M brand but it's just no the same thing, if you only care about power then you can get something cheaper with same power just not BMW.

The dinan 335i probably is a very capable car but it is destined to be below the M3. Especially this M3 that is probably the last of it's kind.

That said if I was single with 110.000+ salary I'd surely opt for the M3, I would have many chances to buy a car with a turbo in the future ;)

I dunno, my near 425rwhp (heads, cam, intake, supercharger, w/ 3.73 final gear ratio) mustang felt damn close to that. the dyno will tell all though. You loose 15% at the most between drive train and wheels. 400rwhp is about 460bhp, not 550bhp, dinan may be underrating their hp (as a lot of companies/manufacturers do) saying that you will hit at least this number.

example of underrating: an 03/04 ford mustang cobra was rated at 390bhp, but some dyno results were around 380rwhp (most between 355 and 370) off the showroom floor which is less than 15%, a little underrated wouldnt you think?

that is what 100,000+/yr and being single can do for you.

I'd have a GT-R with a 6 digit salary, but that's me :p (inb4 transmission jokes. They're now fully covered by Nissan and altered to limit the # of launches that you can do)

I can tell you it feels every bit of ~400 rwhp, not 400bhp as it is advertised as. Hopefully he will put it on a dyno soon to see what it actually puts down.

So lemme get this straight, internals suspension etc., and you still keep the stock turbos?

AND they did not dino it after the tunage? lol... that's not very professional.

That is how they do it. I am not a fan of mail order tunes myself, they can't dial in your specific car. But I do know a few shops who do custom tunes without a dyno. They tune on the street and see what your a/f ratio is doing with some data logging.

Boost is turned up.

He isn't working for his car or the mods he does to it.

lol since when does a M3 cost 90.000$ Last I checked was around 60k $.

The 13.000 dinan package is no where near 400 rwhp! I haven't been near a 335i from dinan but if dinan advertises 398 bhp then it will probably be around there, I doubt they would "hide" another 150 bhp for whatever marketing reasons.

A new 335i costs like 40k $. That said you need to spend another 13k to get on M3 level regarding power and that doesn't include the M body kit, the CF roof and the high-revving V8 and not even the same interior quality.

It's always cheaper to build it your self and you are not paying the mark up of the M brand but it's just no the same thing, if you only care about power then you can get something cheaper with same power just not BMW.

The dinan 335i probably is a very capable car but it is destined to be below the M3. Especially this M3 that is probably the last of it's kind.

That said if I was single with 110.000+ salary I'd surely opt for the M3, I would have many chances to buy a car with a turbo in the future ;)

love to know which dealer you go to... a poverty spec 335i SE is only just under £40k.. so that's more like around $55k :o

my 325d was just over £40k when new and it isn't even that well specced!

My post is based on US pricing for all models :) so you will have to keep paying the premium or move to the land of opportunity and... freedom :whistle:

It's more expensive in Europe. I am not sure why - it doesn't make much sense, so I will guess it's because of the taxes, even though at least here, not all taxes are included in price and a 320i is like 40.000 Euro. They tax the tax :wacko:

Easy, get an Audi A5 (with S-Line) or a Mercedes Class C (with AMG line) for that price range. You won't regret it.

BMW are a myth in the States, they're not that powerful and nice to drive (unless you have an M). Had a 2007 335d and that has been a huge mistake; then switched to an Audi A5, awesome design but with some glitches under the hood. Will switch to a Mercedes E 350 CDI Coupe' AMG line at the end of the year.

AND don't the US versions get servicing included too??

absolute joke...

I think you are entitled to free service and warranty for the first 50.000 miles or 4 years. You can also buy an extended maintenance after that for 3k or 5k for the M's I think (but not sure). An American would probably know better :p

There are dealer mark ups on these prices.

Easy, get an Audi A5 (with S-Line) or a Mercedes Class C (with AMG line) for that price range. You won't regret it.

BMW are a myth in the States, they're not that powerful and nice to drive (unless you have an M). Had a 2007 335d and that has been a huge mistake; then switched to an Audi A5, awesome design but with some glitches under the hood. Will switch to a Mercedes E 350 CDI Coupe' AMG line at the end of the year.

And what A5 was more powerful than the 335d/335i? Because a 3.2L A5 produces 265hp, no where as near as the 335i/d and is AWD which means extra power lost. I don't know how you came up to that conclusion, plus the BMWs are known to handle better than the others, perhaps it seemed more comfortable in the A5 due to AWD but in the track it would get it's ass handed to it.