ChaNinja Style Icons & DLL's Project

This is the progress so far with ChaNinja Style RC5 Icons and DLL Mods for SubZero color scheme.

ICONS

All icons come in sizes 16x16 to 128x128. They look better the bigger you display them.

Screenshot (48x48):

iconsScreenshotSmall.jpg

Large Screenshot (128x128)

>> Download ChaNinja Style Icons (SubZero)

(includes individual icons + IconPackager theme)

PNGs

Here are the above icons in PNG format (fer ya docking pleasure).

>> Download ChaNinja Style SubZero Icons (PNGs)

DLL MODS

NOTE - the following previews are in GIF format and may look sluggish. (They look fine in ACDSEE). The actual AVIs included will be much smoother and faster.

Copy:

Copy.gif

Move:

Move.gif

Download:

Download.gif

Delete to Recycle Bin:

Recycle.gif

Empty Recycle Bin:

Empty.gif

Delete:

Delete.gif

Downloads DLL Mods:

>> Sample DLL files

The above download contains the following system files from Windows XP Professional with SP1 (English)

They are the latest WIP for my ChaNinja Style RC5 (SubZero) project.

i.e. INCOMPLETE

shdocvw.dll - for download animation

msgina.dll - for TurnOff screen

netshell.dll - for a few icons (internet related stuff)

logonui.exe - o_O

sysdm.cpl - for "System Properties" dialogue. (My Computer > Properties)

explorer.exe - for "Taskbar and Startmenu" images + few icons.

shell32.exe - for the rest of the animations and icons (ControlPanel "Performance and Maintainance" icon not done yet)

(includes toolbar icons and new "About Screen"...see screenshot below)

Shell32nExplorerResources.jpg

INSTALLATION

An easy way to install these DLL Mods is described in this file....HowTo_Replace_DLLs_Using_Restorator.zip

The zip includes an AVI movie file, the required TSCC video codec and a readme.txt with instructions.

If you have other Windows or SP versions, you can alternatively use a resource hacker like "ResHacker", "Restorator" etc to extract

and manually re-allocate these resources to your system files.

Please DO NOT distribute these resources AT ALL!

NOTE

- Remember to make backups of all your original files before installing the DLL mods.

- If you still see the default folder icons when in "Thumbnails View" then run a search for all the "thumbs.db" (hidden files) and delete them. You should then see the new icons after you refresh.

- Please comply with the license agreement and I'd appreciate a headsup if you find anyone breaking the agreement.

COMMENTS

During the next few phases of this project I'll ...

- Finish of the other icons that got mentioned throughout this thread

- Do all the above for the other 10 color schemes from RC5.

- Finally do the boot screens.

As you can see I am sticking to the core Windows XP icons. So if you have any icon requests apart from other 3rd party application icons, then please post them.

Hope you likes!!!!

BIG thanks to "Linked" for hosting these files!!!!!!

Edited by ChaNinja

Oh and I forgot to mention, I recently became the proud owner of a real ninja sword (I'm SO in love). It looks almost like the one on the RC5 Startmenu but better! So I decided to make a slight update to the VS so that it'd look more like the real thing.

[ChaNinja Style RC5 (SubZero) Sword update] [Mirror]

If you like it, I'll update the other color schemes too and post them here along with their icons.

post-36-1057935434.jpg

*screams*

*runs out of room*

wow ... the best visual style ever gets even better! You're the man!

BTW - a mozilla/phoenix icon would be great, since it's as popular as IE is around here these days. Also, the .dll mods are cool, but I was wondering who here sees them any more? It seems like with computers being so fast now, I never even see the "Copying" "Moving" and "Deleting" ones pop up.

Regardless, great work. With the icons and the cursors, this is by far one of the best, and most complete themes around.

Edited by threetonesun

I am lost for words... :woot:

Thanks you so very much Cha. Your effort is highly appreciated!

You really are a STAR (get it?) LOL :D

BTW - a mozilla/phoenix icon would be great, since it's as popular as IE is around here these days. Also, the .dll mods are cool, but I was wondering who here sees them any more? It seems like with computers being so fast now, I never even see the "Copying" "Moving" and "Deleting" ones pop up.

I am reluctant to start making specific application icons as there'll be no end. No promises but you can use the world or "internet" icon for any other browsers in the meantime.

You're right about the animations, I only get to see the copy and move ones in action (when using large movie files). Wish Microsoft integrated more animations in the OS.

i tried oin the dll thing it didnt work

heres what i did

>extacted the modded dlls u made to a folder

>backed up my originals

>restarted in safe mode with command prompt

>logged in as admin

>tried to copy the files to system32

>got an overwrite dialog,chose yes

>it said that the files were in use in another process and hence cant be overwritten

any other way to go about it

I am reluctant to start making specific application icons as there'll be no end. No promises but you can use the world or "internet" icon for any other browsers in the meantime.

Yeah, I missed the "apart from other 3rd party applications part". Eh ... I've been using the Mozilla browsers so much now I forget IE comes with windows :p

And yes, I do use the world icon for my internet. It looks nice next to the e-mail icon as well.

BTW - The drive icons are amazing. Best I've ever seen, and the generic file types are sweet too. Can't wait to see what the folders look like in different colors.

i tried oin the dll thing it didnt work

heres what i did

>extacted the modded dlls u made to a folder

>backed up my originals

>restarted in safe mode with command prompt

>logged in as admin

>tried to copy the files to system32

>got an overwrite dialog,chose yes

>it said that the files were in use in another process and hence cant be overwritten

any other way to go about it

I still use the Restorator method which is the fastest for me.

- Get "Restorator" resource hacker from http://www.bome.com/Restorator/.

- Make sure you either rename or delete the shell32.dll and shdocvw.dll files from your "%windir%\system32\dllcache" folder AND your (i think) "%windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386\" folder and make sure you don't have a Windows XP Install CD in any drive.

- Open my modded DLLs using Restorator

- Then replace one icon from each DLL file using an identical icon from the set I included. (Right-click on icon resources for the "assign to" options). So effectively you are not really changing anything in my modded DLL files, this just lets you save the updated DLL files.

- Click on the floppy disk icon in Restorator to save the DLLs and overwrite the original shell32.dll and shdocvw.dll files in your %windir%\system32\ folder. It will automatically make backups.

- You should then see the file protection warnings after a short pause. This means it worked.

- Reboot.

What is the best way and easiest way to change the throbber? (a program)

And Cha, great icons, updated theme and everything is great. Great job.

Will you be making an icon phile theme?