[HOW-TO]System Restore under Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Steven

Steven

Vicarious!

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 06 July 2003 - 01:27

How are we so sure, that doing this, will make System Restore Work as its indented too?

Does it actually create "System Volume Information" in which it really does save the restore points?

or is this just some registry hack to make the application appear to work.

#17 vetJohn

John

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:11

i'm too busy now, but tomorrow i'm planning on doing all this and doing some tests with system restore. then i'll post the results. from just installing the inf file, the tab appears in system properties, and it puts an icon in the start menu, in accessories\system tools. it seems pretty real to me.

#18 OP gosh

gosh

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:14

Even without system restore you have a system volume information folder. In my original post i put that i was able to make restore points, then restore my computer to that restore point. Your just mad because you said it was "impossible" to do this, and i did it in 5 mins ;p

-gosh

#19 raid517

raid517

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:30

No he's asking if it automatically creates periodical restore points, or whether you have to add them manually. Either way its good.

Q

#20 vetJohn

John

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:33

make a list of questions you want me to answer about it tomorrow, i'll try to answer as many of them as possible. dunno about that automatic restore points though, cause that's every 24 hours windows is running, and i'm not using that install of windows nearly as much as xp. :/

#21 raid517

raid517

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:43

Ok, number 1 can you lay out your guide a little more clearly minus superflous points, just action/outcome action/outcome sort of thing. (eg. Go to this directory do this, go to that directory do that, all in list format). Not that I'm sying its hard to follow, just that it could use a little cleaning up. BTW is that reg key all we need? Or is anything else required? If that's so can you post it in .reg format (I know its easy to do with notepad and change the extension, but its nice to just collect all these keys - and as I said, hopefully some day someone will get round to making an installer that will reisntate all these keys and hacks).

Q

Edited by raid517, 06 July 2003 - 02:50.

#22 Jasur

Jasur

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:46

Gosh.

All i can say is great work, You have been able to do something that has not been able to be done and that has been known as 'impossible' from the likes of myself and others.

Great guide you made there also, nice and thorough and easy to understand.

I appreciate your time in creating that guide.

Thank you so much for this.

Cheers
:D

#23 vetJohn

John

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:48

it's not just a few reg entries raid, you have to install the inf which copies a few files, registers them, installs the service, and adds some registry entries.

#24 raid517

raid517

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:53

Sorry I didn't make myself very clear, I've modified my post a little.

Anyway, great work all in all. I don't understand why people are saying its a bad thing though. Data replication in a server may be bad (why though?) but if your using it as a work station, is it still a bad idea?

Q

#25 vetJohn

John

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:57

you don't want the wrong data to be replicated ;)

and no comment on using it as a workstation :shifty:

#26 raid517

raid517

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 08:33

Anyway, it was very easy and works like a treat - and I can confirm now that the service creates it own automatic restore points. Well done, another one chalked off the list.

Q

#27 raindrop

raindrop

Citizen of the world

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:55

hey gosh, you did what the others couldn't :)

can you also find the way to have: Fast User Switching, in Win2k3?

RD

#28 raid517

raid517

Neowinian

Posted 06 July 2003 - 15:45

Well I wouldn't mind having the welcome/log on screens back either these ini files look interesting. In W2K03 and XP there is a file in /ini called layout.ini in here there is a line cakked logon.scr. In W2K03 and XP these values are different. Setting the value in W2k03 back to the same as is in Windows XP doesn't seem to do anything, but I wondered if this might be the place to look if you wanted to get that back up. I imagine fast user switching should be there too, though there is a lot to look through and it will be pretty time consuming to search - and there's no gurantee of sucess if you do. I guess thbis will take a hacker to figure out, as so far my own megre attempts have been unsucessful.

Q

#29 hobsgrg

hobsgrg

Neowinian Elite

Posted 08 July 2003 - 00:21

i can't believe u guys found a way to add system restore to windows server 2003, well done indeed, i salute you.

#30 Keldyn

Keldyn

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2003 - 14:54

To save you guys some trouble I have created the reg file and sr.inf for you. All you need to do is <<click here>>, download and extract them. Double click to install the reg file and right click and install for the sr.inf file. Make sure you have your Windows XP cd handy! Reboot your computer and you should find that system restore has been enabled.

Below is a screen cap I took with System Restore running under Windows Server 2003. Enjoy!

Attached Images

• restore.JPG

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!