windows 7 ultimate will not boot after converting disk to dynamic

Hi all, i have a weird problem, earlier i was converting disks in Windows XP to dynamic and boot the machine normally, now i received more than a ticket from users who converted their disks to dynamic in Windows 7 then they can't boot the machine anymore the machine freeze at a black screen, any ideas about the reason and solution ? thanks.

I would recommend you read up on Dynamic Disks via the following two MSDN articles located here and here.

As Colin-UK stated you can't boot from a dynamic volume. It makes sense. A dynamic disk is the MS implementation of software RAID. It can't access the boot information from the software RAID implementation before Windows is able to load the driver and mount the RAID volume.

Why are you using Dynamic Disks at all? With on-board RAID almost standard now you can get the crappiness of software RAID with the simplicity of hardware RAID via onboard RAID controllers.

Boot and system partitions. You can convert a basic disk containing the system or boot partitions to a dynamic disk. After the disk is converted, these partitions become simple system or boot volumes (after restarting the computer). You cannot mark an existing dynamic volume as active. You can convert a basic disk containing the boot partition (which contains the operating system) to a dynamic disk. After the disk is converted, the boot partition becomes a simple boot volume (after restarting the computer).

From the link which you sent, you can see its a supported scenario, also as i told you i did it many times in Windows XP.

it does sound weird, im pretty sure i had problems when i tried changing my boot disk to dynamic in xp, once, and thus learned to stay away from them lol.

I guess it could be down to differences between NTLDR and BOOTMGR, but i could be wrong there :p

LOl, ok now i did a live test i just converted the disk to dynamic and rebooted now Win7 does not want to boot, and i don't have an access to Win7 bootable DVD :D. any ideas?

where do you people get that you can not boot from a dynamic disk???

Here

win 7 - disk was basic

post-14624-12776519176363.jpg

Now when you go to convert it you get a warning... Did you pay attention to that warning?? How was your os setup to boot? Where you dual booting? Where was your you were booting from??

post-14624-12776519787166.jpg

But as you can see - converted and rebooted on a now dynamic disk

post-14624-12776520056053.jpg

Please do not go around say you can not boot your os from a dynamic disk -- because clearly as you can see from the example its NOT true..

edit: As to this statement "A dynamic disk is the MS implementation of software RAID"

You clearly don't understand what a dynamic disk is at all -- I suggest you read the articles you linked too ;) Yes dynamic disks allow for software raid, but thats just part of what they can be used for.

Edited by BudMan

My example was a win 7 box.. Again -- what was your boot configuration like?

I can not tell you why it didn't work without know how your disk was originally setup for boot.. Again what it multi boot? Where was your OS partition, etc.

edit: As to this statement "A dynamic disk is the MS implementation of software RAID"

You clearly don't understand what a dynamic disk is at all -- I suggest you read the articles you linked too Yes dynamic disks allow for software raid, but thats just part of what they can be used for.

I was only supplying information based on my past experiences, I said I could be wrong :p