Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963.0

:blink:

What programs would someone install to a business PC that has adware and spyware? I've had to monitor news releases through thousands of web sites at one of my jobs, and I only ever encountered one spyware issues.

^ Exactly my reaction. But, they don't really know a lot about PCs and security, just the software they use (Microstation, AutoCAD and similar stuff).

Once you get few worms and other crap in your PC, its not that hard to get infected with other stuff.

So you have used it? It has not changed since it came out first. It's very good for being free. I belive Avast is the only real competitor in the free category. There are some slightly better antivirus programs, but they cost money. Every year.

AVG Free and Avira are solid choices as well. There's quite a lot to choose from, but MSSE is my favorite because it doesn't get nearly as much in the way as other products.

I don't use an antivirus. Like mentioned above, I look where I go and don't click yes on every add that pops up. I have never got a virus and only ever gotten one trojan. Not a bad record with around 20 years of playing with pc's :)

Haven't tsetse it yet but I hope the bug where the computer BSOD's and looses the drive when transferring to a NAS, if i completely disable the MSE service and program it works fine

I don't use an antivirus. Like mentioned above, I look where I go and don't click yes on every add that pops up. I have never got a virus and only ever gotten one trojan. Not a bad record with around 20 years of playing with pc's :)

That's fine for you, but really not information we need to know.

Many people who aren't as careful as you should use an antivirus application for safety reasons.

Many people who aren't as careful as you should use an antivirus application for safety reasons.

my sentiments exactly, Buio.

Downloaded the updated MSE 1.0.1963.0 packages for Vista and XP and MSE program updated w/out a problem.

How would you know? Not all viruses and trojans get in the way of you using your computer, some run in the background connecting to the internet right under your nose.

How would you know? Not all viruses and trojans get in the way of you using your computer, some run in the background connecting to the internet right under your nose.

Exactly. which is WHY, even if your careful, it's still a good idea to run some form of decent AV protection.

p.s. i personally use 'Avira' as i think that's definitely better than the more popular AVG/Avast ones as Avast seems to be a semi-resource hog when i believe i was using it on Vista a while ago with certain programs etc it starts to noticeably tax the system. so i think Avast is one of the worst FREE ones if you ask me. so besides Avira i would probably give MSE a try as i never used that yet but since i am happy with Avira and been using it probably for a good year or two now i don't really see a real need to change. but basically out of all the FREE ones i tried Avira easily is the best although i hear good stuff about MSE though.

Exchanging documents via an USB flash memory maybe? I had to format three business PCs for my dad just because they were full with adware and spyware that was inserted via USB.

You can set MSE to scan USB drives when they are plugged into a PC...