Neowin Tapatalk feature

In our (almost 10 years) history, we've only had a decent mobile version for the past year :p

ATM thats it, we still have a few compatibility issues with different devices that need sorting before we even think about adding even more services to the mobile site.

Remember the old mobile version? *shivers*

There are no plans to support this. We have a great mobile forum skin you can use + it works with the official ipb app.

I agree with not using Tapatalk, but I disagree on the mobile forum being "great". It's good, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

There's no way of going up a subform. Having to go back to the top level, then tap through again just to go from Real World Issues to Real World News (for example), is bloody annoying.

Lately, when scrolling with my thumb, pages have a tendency to rapidly scroll up or down when I lift my thumb off. It never used to do this. :/

In my opinion I'd vote for no. Cause I love the mobile version of neowin. I mostly come to neowin to read the news articles then the forum so I don't see any point of adding it. But it's just my opinion.

Sounds like a pretty lame app :/

Tell me about it, I pay as a subscriber to Neowin, I don't want to pay a 3rd party just to browser the forums on my phone.

Well I guess you guys have your reasons.. thanks for clarifying it.

I am talking about scrolling in the fast reply window not the pages.

In the forums, try touching the Neowin.net logo in the top left. It should take you to the bottom of the page.

honestly, i vote yes for adding tapatalk support, i don't personally use it but i still think it should be added

it doesn't hurt anything by adding the extra support, it just gives people the extra option to choose from

it's a personal preference thing, some people like the mobile site, that's great, but some other people prefer something different such as tapatalk, that should be fine too, there's nothing wrong with having a personal preference

edit: If you guys' are that reluctant about adding it I think you should put it to a public poll to see how much of the Neowin user base would actually use it, to see if it's actually worth adding the support or not

I can understand the whole revenue issue. Everyone's got to make money to support themselves and the forum running. But having a dedicated app is a lot better for usability and saves bandwidth for our limited data plans. I am sure there is a fair share of smartphone users on this forum who would like to enjoy neowin on the go as well, especially with push notifications, which consume far less data than loading the entire mobile site and encourages more visits/activity to the site during the day.

Even if you don't agree with supporting tapatalk due to the amount of customizations required or other forum compatibility issues, please at least consider coding a dedicated app for iphone and android. Furthermore, neowin can make up for any potential "loss of revenue" by putting ads in the app, and then releasing a paid version to those who want an ad free experience the same way current subscribers do on a desktop browser.

I say do Tapatalk but limit it to Subscribers. At least then you wouldn't be loosing revenue and it would encourage more people to subscribe not to mention that Tapatalk is a cross-platform application so you'll have a wide target audience.

But having a dedicated app is a lot better for usability and saves bandwidth for our limited data plans.

Thats not necessarily true, depending on how the site is coded it would be about the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I think eventually all forums will have this option activated, i vote also YES to tapatalk here.

Im here since 2001, so i think it counts for something my opinion. Neowin must remain an OPEN like it started, and the revenue beeing affected argument, i dont think it would, its non-sense and its not how i see this forum, strict profit making. Besides we all continue using Computer.

Why not...

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I can understand your explanation but it's no good for users! :/

you do realize you just replied to something that's almost 3 years old right?

+1

That's what I do too :)

same with you
  • Like 1

I like the mobile site, i used it for a few hours lying in bed last night and got on with it fine jumping between it and sending pm's

I think what it is is some of you guys dont understand the work that developers need to go to to support 3rd party software that you have no control over

either that or you all have **** devices lmao

I like the mobile site, i used it for a few hours lying in bed last night and got on with it fine jumping between it and sending pm's

I think what it is is some of you guys dont understand the work that developers need to go to to support 3rd party software that you have no control over

either that or you all have **** devices lmao

Indeed, out of all the mobile sites I have come across Neowins is by far the best. It worked well on my old Nokia N95 back in the day and has always been good on the Android devices I own.

I prefer TapaTalk over forum mobile skins. Neowin certainly has one of the better mobile skins about, but I still don't like them, nor do I use them. I run a forum with a mobile theme, TapaTalk and Forum Runner. Any suggestion that it's a hassle to support is nothing more than a horrible excuse.

To support it you add one line of optional code to advise the user that it's available on TapaTalk. Oh, and the updates which consist of one folder to upload. Tough stuff.

I would use Neowin more if it was on Tapatalk. Anyway, the management have obviously decided otherwise, and that's that. At the end of the call, it's up to them.

I prefer TapaTalk over forum mobile skins. Neowin certainly has one of the better mobile skins about, but I still don't like them, nor do I use them. I run a forum with a mobile theme, TapaTalk and Forum Runner. Any suggestion that it's a hassle to support is nothing more than a horrible excuse.

To support it you add one line of optional code to advise the user that it's available on TapaTalk. Oh, and the updates which consist of one folder to upload. Tough stuff.

I would use Neowin more if it was on Tapatalk. Anyway, the management have obviously decided otherwise, and that's that. At the end of the call, it's up to them.

Yes cause neowin is just a generic ipb forum install. Believe me, theres more to it than basic support. We can not offer support for a third party mobile app at this time. Not saying this won't change in the future. We do support the official ipb app as far as I know, but that still uses the mobile skin.

I wonder how many other people are like me and don't bother to go to neowin on an android device because there is no app or tapatalk support.

Also - You have to pay for tapatalk? pretty sure I got mine free at some point or at least incredibly cheap so it might as well have been free.