Photo

Neowin Tapatalk feature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#16 The Lurk Master

The Lurk Master

Neowinian

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:27

it does look like a decent app but do the devlopers have other projects they are working on...how hard is it to code in the support?

#17 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:35

it does look like a decent app but do the devlopers have other projects they are working on...how hard is it to code in the support?

Looks like it's just a simple plugin from what I see on this page: http://www.tapatalk.com/en/plugin

Shouldn't be to hard for the developers to add support for tapatalk :/

I just replied to your post on neowin mobile.. Again it was a horror scrolling to the bottom after [ /quote]

#18 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 02 July 2010 - 16:03

There are numerous reasons not to go with Tapatalk, not limited to:

1) Loss of advertising revenue - None would be displayed
2) The amount of time it would take to set up for the small number of users who will use it. For most, it's a case of uploading the files, and added one line to the templates. This is not the case for us. We have around 150 customisations made to IPB (based on our SVN logs), and looking at the code for the Tapatalk addon, they duplicate a lot of the IPB code, instead of simply using the IPB classes, which means a lot of work implementing our customisations into their code as well

Also, it may not be compatible with some of the things we have in the pipeline for the future, and we don't want to add something and then take it away again.

#19 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 July 2010 - 16:10

Looks like it's just a simple plugin from what I see on this page: http://www.tapatalk.com/en/plugin

Shouldn't be to hard for the developers to add support for tapatalk :/

I just replied to your post on neowin mobile.. Again it was a horror scrolling to the bottom after [ /quote]

Something is wrong with your iPhone then. My iPhone scrolls through Neowin fast and smooth. (On an iPhone 3G, not 3GS or 4.)

#20 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 16:16

2) The amount of time it would take to set up for the small number of users who will use it. For most, it's a case of uploading the files, and added one line to the templates. This is not the case for us. We have around 150 customisations made to IPB (based on our SVN logs), and looking at the code for the Tapatalk addon, they duplicate a lot of the IPB code, instead of simply using the IPB classes, which means a lot of work implementing our customisations into their code as well

Also, it may not be compatible with some of the things we have in the pipeline for the future, and we don't want to add something and then take it away again.

Well I guess you guys have your reasons.. thanks for clarifying it.

Something is wrong with your iPhone then. My iPhone scrolls through Neowin fast and smooth. (On an iPhone 3G, not 3GS or 4.)

I am talking about scrolling in the fast reply window not the pages.

#21 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:11

In our (almost 10 years) history, we've only had a decent mobile version for the past year :p

ATM thats it, we still have a few compatibility issues with different devices that need sorting before we even think about adding even more services to the mobile site.

#22 Techno_Funky

Techno_Funky

Music Freak

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 24 August 2011 - 17:30

I am sure the world has changed a lot now, so could Neowin now have support for this app.

#23 vincent

vincent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 August 2011 - 17:37

I use tapatalk for Cadillacforums.com and XDA Developers, i love it.

BS, cadillacforums.com displays ads at the bottom of each thread viewed in tapatalk.

#24 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 24 August 2011 - 18:33

I am sure the world has changed a lot now, so could Neowin now have support for this app.

There are no plans to support this. We have a great mobile forum skin you can use + it works with the official ipb app.

#25 Edrick Smith

Edrick Smith

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 August 2011 - 18:46

The mobile site sucks hate using it sure it's a good design. But Tapatalk is so much easier to use and you don't have to wait for things to load like you do in the web browser. All forums I frequent support it except Neowin, if Neowin supported it I'd post more. But alas some people are set in their ways.

#26 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:50

In our (almost 10 years) history, we've only had a decent mobile version for the past year :p

ATM thats it, we still have a few compatibility issues with different devices that need sorting before we even think about adding even more services to the mobile site.

Remember the old mobile version? *shivers*

#27 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:10

There are no plans to support this. We have a great mobile forum skin you can use + it works with the official ipb app.

I agree with not using Tapatalk, but I disagree on the mobile forum being "great". It's good, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

There's no way of going up a subform. Having to go back to the top level, then tap through again just to go from Real World Issues to Real World News (for example), is bloody annoying.

Lately, when scrolling with my thumb, pages have a tendency to rapidly scroll up or down when I lift my thumb off. It never used to do this. :/

#28 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 25 August 2011 - 22:26

Tapatalk is useful. Always good for some of the forums that can't word wrap while zoomed in. I browse a lot of forums through tapatalk.

#29 cyrl

cyrl

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:50

In my opinion I'd vote for no. Cause I love the mobile version of neowin. I mostly come to neowin to read the news articles then the forum so I don't see any point of adding it. But it's just my opinion.

#30 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:48

Sounds like a pretty lame app :/

Tell me about it, I pay as a subscriber to Neowin, I don't want to pay a 3rd party just to browser the forums on my phone.