iPhone 4 "Dead Pixel"

Hi all,

Got my iPhone a few hours ago, and I've noticed a dead pixel on my screen.

Now it seems to have just appeared, because it's bright blue and something you would EASILY notice on a black screen, and I didn't notice it when it booted up or through first use.

I know you can't see individual pixels, but it's like 0.5mm and just seems to be blue.

Where do I stand on this? I don't want to take my phone back right now as they won't have replacements... could I do it a month or two down the line? Or should I just ignore it?

It's just rather annoying an expensive phone has ONE tiny, tiny little dot on the screen!

Any ideas?

Well, no where really has replacements at the moment.

Can I go back in a few weeks time and say, look at the dead pixel, can I have a new phone please?

Ask them to make a note about the defect through the serial number if they don't have a replacement?

DO NOT PUT IT OFF.

Go there right now, ask for a replacement, if they don't have one, make sure to get it written on your receipt and they have a copy, and get some paper work for it.

I would call the store you purchased it from and see. A lot of stores keep extra stock that is strictly for returns/swapping out. They will not sell those.

Right... well I've got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow for it... I won't look an idiot going in and saying about the small dot on my screen will I?

I understand LCDs have the problem... but on a small screen you really can notice it!

They will let me keep my phone until they have a replacement right, as long as they make a note about the problem?

Emon... I did e-mail Steve Jobs and he replied back "It's a feature." but... I think I'll get it checked out :rofl:

I would call the store you purchased it from and see. A lot of stores keep extra stock that is strictly for returns/swapping out. They will not sell those.

Nope! I got it from the "Carphone Warehouse" it's like a mobile phone shop in the UK? They got the grand total of *2* in stock... and I think they were supposed to be kept back for selling tomorrow, but I got mine today hah!

buddy, you better go talk to them ASAP, do not delay ... no point in getting stuck with 800$ paperweight that has a blue tint ... besides, the sooner you talk to them the faster you'll get your replacement .. so - win win

Heh... I'm loving all these quotes.

You will NOT imagine how many times people have said "you're holding it wrong!" to me today.

Going to the apple store tomorrow so hopefully they will either have a replacement (doubtful) or let me keep the phone until one comes in!

They're usually really good so hopefully no problems! :D

Cheers for your help guys!

Apple PR also said they don't have hardware issue.

They don't have hardware issues if you keep them the right way. LOL :D

Is it dead or stuck? There might be an app you can let run on your phone for some odd amount of time that will flash colors and maybe unstick the pixel. If it is actually dead or it wont free itself, definitely take it back for another.

Is it dead or stuck? There might be an app you can let run on your phone for some odd amount of time that will flash colors and maybe unstick the pixel. If it is actually dead or it wont free itself, definitely take it back for another.

Yeah, I did try that, found a link to some website that flashed loads of different colours for a while - didn't seem to fix it.

I'm just wondering why it wasn't there before, but it is now :s I'd have surely noticed it upon start up, it stands out like a sore thumb!

Either way, genius bar for me tomorrow! :D

Thought I would post an update!

Arrived at the Apple Store 20 mins late for my genius appointment (crappy trains)... and the woman in charge refused to serve me. (Cow!)

So ended up going to the Carphone Warehouse next to the store in Brent Cross... but they didn't have any instock. I then trudged my way to Oxford Street and their flagship store... where they had 8.

The guy had a look, and agreed to replace it for me!

So yay! New iPhone with NO dead pixels or anything. And crappy Apple ungeniuses (it was my fault for being a bit late... but how long would it have taken to look at my phone, see the dead pixel, and offer a replacement hey?)

:D

why do people need to make these threads?

just go back to the shop NOW and ask for a replacement...

if there aren't any you will have to wait, but at least they know

The guy had a look, and agreed to replace it for me!

So yay! New iPhone with NO dead pixels or anything. And crappy Apple ungeniuses (it was my fault for being a bit late... but how long would it have taken to look at my phone, see the dead pixel, and offer a replacement hey?)

not wanting to come off like an ass.. but you sound surprised they fixed it?

Take it back ASAP.

And no, you won't look like an idiot complaining about one dead pixel. All LCD's these days have a no dead pixel policy, that would include Apple.

why do people need to make these threads?

just go back to the shop NOW and ask for a replacement...

if there aren't any you will have to wait, but at least they know

not wanting to come off like an ass.. but you sound surprised they fixed it?

Because with LCDs or screens that can get dead pixels, I think you'll find a lot of companies won't replace them unless there is a "number" of dead pixels... i.e. 5 or 6.

Therefore, I had absolutely no idea if Apple had the same policy or not.

I asked on here so I knew whether to make the trip, or put up with it, as my Apple Store is quite far away!

Thanks for your incredibly helpful reply :).

Because with LCDs or screens that can get dead pixels, I think you'll find a lot of companies won't replace them unless there is a "number" of dead pixels... i.e. 5 or 6.

Therefore, I had absolutely no idea if Apple had the same policy or not.

I asked on here so I knew whether to make the trip, or put up with it, as my Apple Store is quite far away!

Thanks for your incredibly helpful reply :).

i live to serve.. ;)

You're going to have to live with it because most companies don't exchange any screens with one dead pixel.