Opera - Remove "click to activate and use this control"

I've been using Firefox mostly but I love Opera and have been using it occasionally since Opera 6.

I absolutely love Opera 10.6. It's beautiful, fast, I don't need greasemonkey at all. I JUST LOVE OPERA UNITE APPS.

But this little "click to activate" thing has been very annoying so I decided to dig around and see if I can remove it.

Here is a video, enjoy:

Nice find, man. As far as I can remember, this has been a security measure towards a Flash-related vulnerability, but I guess it's been fixed by now... either way, it could get really annoying.

• Like 1

Nice tutorial but I'd rather leave it as it is. It's a security measure to prevent hidden/harmful controls from running in the background without your consent and damage your computers.

• Like 1

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with vulnerabilities. The Flash still runs no matter what, you just have to click once to interact with it. A company called Eolas has a patent which requires Opera and other browsers to implement this function. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eolas

No it was implemented that way to prevent Eolas from suing Opera. Eolas had a patent regarding interacting with embedded objects and other browsers licensed it.

Read: http://my.opera.com/d.i.z./blog/2009/01/28/eolass-bites-the-dust That link also has patches.

Read more on the issuse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eolas

You beat me to it :)

You beat me to it :)

;) Since I'm on an ADSL connection with a very low data cap I've found it to be useful. But during 02:00 to 08:00 when my usage is not metered I find it annoying.:D

• 7 months later...

:pinch: patents

+1

I hate patents too. Similarly, I want the hidden CoverBling feature of Amarok way too badly. They moved it to playground just because of those boring patents! And they ruined the Magic Lamp effect in Compiz. What a dupe. Strange that KDE doesn't get sued for a Genie effect lookalike in KWin and the Cover Flow window switcher. Sorry for focusing too much on Linux. Oh, now back to topic, I can't realize why that stupid patent by Eolas exists *puke*. :x

• 2 months later...

Why is User JavaScript the better solution?

Patching the DLL is better because you don't have to depend on JavaScript.

Are you really asking that? UserJS is easier to install, version independent so you don't have to redo the patch every time a new version comes out, and far safer, because there is no risk of breaking stuff you don't want breaking. Furthermore, there is no warranty that said patch will work with every future version, so if you don't have the skill required, you will fail to apply the patch when a new and changed version comes.

No it was implemented that way to prevent Eolas from suing Opera. Eolas had a patent regarding interacting with embedded objects and other browsers licensed it.

Actually, Mozilla got it for free, and I think Safari and Chrome did to since they are open-source. Microsoft licensed it, and Opera doesn't have the cash to spare.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is little old now but can someone tell me how to solve this upx issue?

2013-08-11-21-56-28.png

Is there an alternative to upx that are able to unpack??