Codename: "Fusion OS"

Question

Hello!

I'm Keith Wright, and I have posted here a few times before, and love Neowin! Anyways the point of this post is that I am starting a Operating System Project codenamed "Fusion OS". I already have concepts, and mock-ups and even have a working build. It is based on Ubuntu (right now.) and uses some things from Fedora Core. The people currently working on the project are me and one other developer. I have a software company Simply Innovation, that will end up marketing it in the end. But the main point of this is that we need some developers and ideas for the project! If you have any ideas just post them below! The aim of the project is to make a STUNNING user interface, and make it a simplistic OS but yet powerful. And we need a name! We will also be developing our own web browser for this OS, which in turn will be available for all Linux distributions. (it is already developed for Windows.) I will post a concept screen shot below to give you an idea of what we already have. So if your interested in being a part of this project, we would greatly appreciate it, and it will be fun, and we can form a great team. We also have a Project Manager website set up to manage everything. If you have any questions or comments do ask!

image001bx.png

Thanks,

Keith Wright.

I hope you guys use Chromium's open source code as far as 'developing' your own browser. Anyway, I do like where you guys are going but are being too vague at least for me. What kind of things do you plan to accomplish as far as making it "simplistic yet powerful"? Better work flow for every day things such as email, word processing, social networking & instant messaging? Basically, what is your target audience and what kind of features (in specific) do you plan to accomplish that is different from other Linux flavors?

Interesting, well I look forward to seeing how it comes along, seems like an amibitious projection which is great. Keep us posted

I agree with Hot, do something unique. Make it look different, make it stand out compared to any other Linux Operating System! :D

The one you posted looks good, just make it look different.

Sigh, I want to see something original. :( Why does nobody ever put the taskbar in the middle of the screen?

Because that would be awkward and limit screen space?

I'm implore you with this project.

Why don't you base Fusion on "Debian" instead of Ubuntu?

fyi I'm in love with UI, it's perfect.

Keep this motto in mind...

"Don't reinvent the wheel, re-design it"

I would focus on a brilliant overall UI design, unique icons, crystal clear sound effects, etc...

I would focus on a brilliant overall UI design, unique icons, crystal clear sound effects, etc...

I second that - the trouble with Linux isn't the lack of technology but the time spent bringing it all together in a cohesive and consistent package. If you did just that I can tell you that you'll make a great business success off it.

Thanks I really like that quote! I do agree the UI is going to be one of our biggest points. The only part that has not been discussed is the sounds, if anyone has any ideas for that it would be great! Thanks! :)

Sigh, I want to see something original. :( Why does nobody ever put the taskbar in the middle of the screen?

Because if the taskbar was in the middle of the screen then it would take away from productivity, and you wouldnt be able to manage your windows very efficiently. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I have quite a few ideas but first I'd like to add you as a friend on either msgr. Yahoo or Hotmail

Hey, ok my mail and im adress is "rkwj25@live.com" thats for anyone who wants it, i will add you. Mail is best for me most times, because I am traveling right now so its easier for me just to sit down and right a email, than to im.

I'm implore you with this project.

Why don't you base Fusion on "Debian" instead of Ubuntu?

fyi I'm in love with UI, it's perfect.

Thank you! And we have decided on a definitive base yet we just built our preview builds on Ubuntu. We were thinking about Debian, but overall what we want is a "low bloat" distro to start with we basically removed everything out of Ubuntu and the bloatware and then went from there. If you have a suggestion for a better base feel free to post it here, just keep in mind about the low bloatware.

Thanks,

Keith.

Good Luck! :yes:

Thanks, and thank you everyone who wished this project good luck! :)

Wtf. Serious. :$

Looks beautiful! I'm excited about it, love the fact that you are aiming for a simple, polished linux distro.

Thanks for the encouraging comment! That will be one of the major points of the OS. I am working a new idea and I will have a screen shot posted tomorrow! ;)