Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Microsoft might appear that is moving extremely fast with the development process of the first service pack for Windows 7, but fact of the matter is that the upgrade will not be offered to the public this year. The Redmond company started sharing details about Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 earlier this year.

On the first day of the company

Posted

First half of 2011! Nearly one year from today? That would be too late!

Posted

^ Yea, winter release would have been nice, but I guess they want to test more things, and made the SP1 a bigger update, because there has hardly been any serious problem with 7 so far.

Posted

Long wait, was hoping it might fix some bugs like Task Scheduler thinking I'm running on battery power and refuses to start a task, when I'm clearly not, it's just my UPS with AC power going through.

Posted

Posted

[quote]First half of 2011! Nearly one year from today? That would be too late! [/quote]

Too late for what?

Posted

Ahh Brandon's on the case.

I'll wait and see when it drops. Bit disappointing if it doesn't happen this year though. There's still 6 months left!

Posted

[quote name='Sub_Zero_Alchemist' date='14 July 2010 - 00:33' timestamp='1279063991' post='592900410']

Posted

Sounds a bit long for a service pack... Especially the client version... :/

Posted

[quote name='hdood' date='13 July 2010 - 16:37' timestamp='1279064262' post='592900432']
There's already 500. How many do you want? 1000? 2000? [b]You can't postpone it forever.[/b]
[/quote]

That's true. but I'm fine with 500 or whatever, i wasn't expecting SP1 to drop this year anyways. maybe part of the delay is because of IE 9?

Posted

I dont care if it comes out in 2012. Windows 7 already works great,

Posted

[quote name='ViperAFK' date='14 July 2010 - 04:11' timestamp='1279073467' post='592900840']
I dont care if it comes out in 2012. Windows 7 already works great,
[/quote]
Why bother at all?

Posted

And this basically kills the rumor of Windows 8 in 2011.

BTW, I personally support including IE9 (if final) in Windows 7 SP1.

Would avoid another IE6 fiasco.

Posted

No it doesn't. Vista SP2 and Windows 7 were released relatively close to each other...

Posted

Why does SP1 matter anyway? If its just a bundle of hotfixes, then by the time it comes out, wouldn't it be unnecessary to install at all?

Posted

[quote name='SojIrOu' date='14 July 2010 - 03:46' timestamp='1279075560' post='592900950']
Why does SP1 matter anyway? If its just a bundle of hotfixes, then by the time it comes out, wouldn't it be unnecessary to install at all?
[/quote]
So MS is working on an unnecessary piece of software? Quick, call them and tell them.

But seriously, why do any service packs matter?

1) Moves the OS to a more mature status and is more widely accepted in the corporate world.
2) Pain in the rear to install several hundred MB's worth of updates after each reload. Mind you, the ones on Windows Update are merely public updates and not every bug MS has located and fixed in the OS.

IMO, outside of a new OS/application, service packs are the next best thing. Maybe it's the geeky side of me, but service packs are pretty damn neat in my book.

Posted

[quote name='Raa' date='14 July 2010 - 04:38' timestamp='1279075114' post='592900938']
No it doesn't. Vista SP2 and Windows 7 were released relatively close to each other...
[/quote]
SP2, not SP1.

Posted

[quote name='SojIrOu' date='14 July 2010 - 03:46' timestamp='1279075560' post='592900950']
[/quote]
Have you installed all 500 hotfixes currently out for Windows 7? Probably not. Service Packs are a convenient way to get them all.

Posted

[/quote]

To install a majority of bug fixes that are not obtainable through Windows Update. Come on everybody knows this now.